British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Seeking work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/seeking-work-903957/)

Lauraanne Sep 28th 2017 8:34 pm

Seeking work

Hi,

I am looking for advise as I am currently looking for a job. My husband has a work permit here so I am here with him. Would any one offer some advice as where is the best place to look for a job?

Orangepants Sep 29th 2017 7:47 pm

Re: Seeking work

Originally Posted by Lauraanne (Post 12349352)
Hi,

I am looking for advice as I am currently looking for a job. My husband has a work permit here so I am here with him. Would any one offer some advice as where is the best place to look for a job?

Temp agencies, hotels, restaurants, shops. I don't think there is a best place, just lots of places. The Friday papers always used to have lots of positions vacant. Have you got your resume ready?

Lauraanne Oct 3rd 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 12350093)
Temp agencies, hotels, restaurants, shops. I don't think there is a best place, just lots of places. The Friday papers always used to have lots of positions vacant. Have you got your resume ready?

Hi,

Yeah. Resume is done, I am not feeling hugely positive. I will get the Friday paper. Do you think it could be an idea just to contact them directly.

Gordon Barlow Oct 3rd 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lauraanne (Post 12352836)
Yeah. Resume is done, I am not feeling hugely positive. I will get the Friday paper. Do you think it could be an idea just to contact them directly.

You haven't told us what line of business you're in, or what experience you have. If you've never worked anywhere before, then, yes, you will probably have a problem. If you've worked in an office, temp agencies would be the best.

Lauraanne Oct 4th 2017 9:37 pm

I have a lot of different skills. I have experience in office work/ car sales executive/Salon & Spa Coordinator/ Fully qualified Hairstylist. I am looking to stay within Customer service role.

Also is there any good places to meet new people?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12352977)
You haven't told us what line of business you're in, or what experience you have. If you've never worked anywhere before, then, yes, you will probably have a problem. If you've worked in an office, temp agencies would be the best.

scot47 Oct 5th 2017 5:46 pm

Does your husband's work permit give you the right to work ?

Orangepants Oct 7th 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12354437)
Does your husband's work permit give you the right to work ?

They don't have that concept in Cayman. You can be a dependent if OH earns enough but to work, you have to have your own permit. I have a permit app in at the moment just to go for a week's business trip.