Our 2017 elections

Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our 2017 elections

In the month of May, our elections will be a bit of a showdown between the unapologetically anti-expat party presently in power and a hodge-podge of other parties and independents all of whom are not quite so open about their feelings. An interesting contest. (Also interesting, for outside observers especially, is that - as always - not one single candidate wants political independence. God Save the Queen, yeah?)

Closer to the time, the battle will be reported in the local online newspaper-site. Google "Cayman Compass" to follow the rhetoric.

Last edited by Gordon Barlow; Apr 17th 2017 at 1:12 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:54 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our 2017 elections

You having one too...

Im dreading the completely boring news for the next month or 2.

Perhaps news sources should enter purdah like the whole of government... Imagine it, news sources not reporting on campaigning, it'd drive the politico's nuts.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
In the month of May, our elections will be a bit of a showdown between the unapologetically anti-expat party presently in power and a hodge-podge of other parties and independents all of whom are not quite so open about their feelings. An interesting contest. (Also interesting, for outside observers especially, is that - as always - not one single candidate wants political independence. God Save the Queen, yeah?)

Closer to the time, the battle will be reported in the local online newspaper-site. Google "Cayman Compass" to follow the rhetoric.
Even the "Make Cayman Great Again" campaign?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Our two votes are going to the man in our district who badgered and badgered the MLAs until they legalised cannabis oil, which they did late last year. Speculation has it that it can cure cancer. We have our fingers crossed, though that may not be true. But it's reckoned to be a wonderful pain-killer; and for those with cancer, that's the next best thing.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 8:15 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I agree its probably useful medically. Strange thing is, i see lots of people extolling the virtues of cannabis as medicine on the dreaded facebook, but when you agree and say it should definitely be one of the things medics can use and prescribe, but it should be more tightly controlled for 'other' uses, they all seem to disagree? I know someone who was given it for cancer, didnt have a good outcome but i believe they felt better for a while.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I see lots of people extolling the virtues of cannabis as medicine on the dreaded facebook, but when you agree and say it should definitely be one of the things medics can use and prescribe, but it should be more tightly controlled for 'other' uses, they all seem to disagree?
I'm afraid I would be one of those disagreeing with you, Grenada! I favour not only legalisation of "the weed" but of partial deregulation as well. I don't think it's any more dangerous than alcohol: is it?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 8:48 pm

I worked in mental health svcs in the nhs for some time, in IT but with clinicians. If cannabis was like alcohol I n general it's use should be restricted by the young. The experts appear to agree that while using alcohol young isn't good, cannabis is disastrous for a small percentage of young users, psychoses that can require inpatient treatment for sometimes years is filling up nhs facilities... It may sound crass but you only have to walk past the wards and hear the music and see the bob Marley/weed flags. It's dangerous to the young and if legalised needs serious control.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Apr 30th 2017 at 8:50 pm.