Non married dependant

Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Martell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non married dependant

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me .
Myself and my boyfriend are looking to relocate to the Cayman Islands this year .
He has a job offer .
His salary would be able to support us both but as we are not married I'm concerned I would not be able to get a visa . We where hoping to stay 2 years .
Has anyone had experience of this ?
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non married dependant

I don't have any experience of this, or any inside knowledge. All I know is that each person on a private-sector Work Permit is entitled to be accompanied by one or more "dependents". Now its reasonable to presume that that means persons who are legally dependent. Your boyfriend could - perhaps - take the government to court and claim that a common-law spouse is a spouse-and-dependent under the law, but that case would certainly not be heard within two years.

Years ago I knew of two girlfriends who had changed their surnames by deed poll to their boyfriends' surnames, and allowed the authorities to believe that they were married. But I really don't know if anyone would get away with it now!

So, it's probably marriage lines or nothing, unless you come in as a single woman and get a job yourself. Is that an option for you?
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Martell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply !
I would be more than happy to get a job , however I have only ever worked as a dental nurse and opportunities to work in this role in the caymans would be extremely limited as they don't have that many dentists .
And I'm not sure how easy it would be to get other jobs which can supply a visa such as receptionists , admin or even bar work ?
I've read I could get a 6months holiday visa , but also that these visa are often only granted 1month at a time .
I can't relocate with only 1months security at a time .
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Enough dentists to give you a reasonable shot, especially as a locum. Temporary Work Permits are good for 3 months, sometimes 6, and full Work Permits are usually annual. You really need to swing by and check things out. Your OH's employers will probably be anxious to help you, if they want to keep him.
Cayman Islands Dentists & Orthodontists | Cayman New Resident