Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Moving with a toddler and shipping.

Moving with a toddler and shipping.

Old Apr 14th 2016, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Jolovebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with a toddler and shipping.

Hello,
My husband and I are moving to the Cayman Islands in June. We struggle to decide what to bring with us. We are coming with a toddler and we have the following questions:
1) Shall we take/ ship all the baby stuff with us? E.g. Car seat, high chair, cot bed and cot mattress etc.
2) If shipping is a good option can anyone recommend a good shipping company from the UK to the Cayman Islands?
3) Anything that you would highly recommended us to ship?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with a toddler and shipping.

If you're able to get your stuff shipped for free, by all means take advantage of the offer. But the things you mention are all available here. Have you checked out some of the Cayman blogs and the online magazine "New Resident Cayman"? This is not some backwater-island. Your or your husband's employer will know of a good shipping company, but if not, just work your way through your local Yellow Pages. A friend of ours filled a 20-foot container with her stuff when she came from Swindon, but she didn't need to.

As for what to bring, maybe a bushel or two of your favourite food! We do get English stuff here - and Irish sausages - but it comes in only once every six months or so. Our major supermarket chain stocks Waitrose products and the other (posher and more expensive shop) has Tesco. Feel free to ask me specific questions.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 11:07 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

6 months between sausages ! Unthinkable !

Here it is possible to enjoy a proper fry up - bacon, sausages, mushrooms, beans, harsh browns or fried spud, organic local eggs, black pudding, fried rubbish bread [the good stuff just isnt the same] and possibly a slice of ham with cocoa tea or cuban coffee.

Our iga supermarket gets weekly chilled containers with tesco waitrose and american stuff, fresh milk, that sort of thing, but the sausages and bacon are frozen. Given the container has to pass your place en route from texas, im surprised your stores havent sorted themselves out.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
6 months between sausages ! Unthinkable !

Here it is possible to enjoy a proper fry up - bacon, sausages, mushrooms, beans, harsh browns or fried spud, organic local eggs, black pudding, fried rubbish bread [the good stuff just isnt the same] and possibly a slice of ham with cocoa tea or cuban coffee.

Our iga supermarket gets weekly chilled containers with tesco waitrose and american stuff, fresh milk, that sort of thing, but the sausages and bacon are frozen. Given the container has to pass your place en route from texas, im surprised your stores havent sorted themselves out.
Well, all that stuff is available here, but in my house we don't eat sausages or blood pudding (shudder!) or anything else that might put me in the recovery room. There aren't all that many Brits among the hundred or so nationalities living on this Island - maybe a couple of thousand - so it's quite possible that Grenada has a greater variety of British food. Most of our products are American.

As for the sausages: I've seen them, and they don't look as though they've ever been frozen. But I'll have a closer look when I go shopping this morning.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Hello,
I am now living in the Cayman Islands I have to say I disagree with what you said. Everything here cost an arm and a leg and the quality of many items are not good. For any families who want to move to the Cayman Islands please ship all your favourite nursery furniture or toys. You got 6 months to ship your stuff duty free. Take advantage of that. We sold our beautiful cot in the hope of replace something similar.. How silly I felt! The replacement cot which we had to buy was double the price and half as good!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:34 am
Just Joined

For all the mums,
There is a Facebook page call Caymums. I found it so helpful so if any of the mums moving to the island go check that out first. The information there is so helpful. It is a closed group so you will have to join before you can view the posts. I hope this will help any of the mums who are moving to the Cayman Islands. Good Luck!