British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Moving to Grand Cayman in January (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/moving-grand-cayman-january-905987/)

Holly_martin679 Nov 18th 2017 3:39 pm

Moving to Grand Cayman in January

Hi there,
My partner and I are moving to Grand Cayman in January 2018 as I've been offered a job as a children's Occupational Therapist.. my contract is 2.5 years.
I've read through cayman resident and other posts on this thread. I've also had a thorough look on ecay trade so have an idea of living etc but would love to have some insider knowledge.

What area would be best to live? Price range 1,500 (work located in George Town).

Has anyone used a lease company for a car? Don't think I'll have the funds available to purchase a car and I need one for work.

Thanks
Holly

Gordon Barlow Nov 22nd 2017 12:07 am

Re: Moving to Grand Cayman in January

Originally Posted by Holly_martin679 (Post 12384862)
Hi there,
My partner and I are moving to Grand Cayman in January 2018 as I've been offered a job as a children's Occupational Therapist.. my contract is 2.5 years.
I've read through cayman resident and other posts on this thread. I've also had a thorough look on ecay trade so have an idea of living etc but would love to have some insider knowledge.

What area would be best to live? Price range 1,500 (work located in George Town).

Has anyone used a lease company for a car? Don't think I'll have the funds available to purchase a car and I need one for work.

Thanks
Holly

Leased cars are pretty rare, I'm afraid. But old cars aren't always expensive. My wife and I drive 20-year-old Toyotas that were imported from Japan when they had already been driven in Japan for five years. They're probably worth about $2000 or so on the street today. My son and his girlfriend ride scooters, to beat both the traffic and the price of petrol. You can pick up second-hand ones for around $1500. (That's about 1500 pounds, by the way.)

For accommodation... you'll be lucky to get a flat for less than about $2000 anywhere in GT. Have you asked your employer if he knows of a place? Where in GT will you be working, and how long are you prepared to drive to and from each day?

TandD2017 Nov 22nd 2017 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Holly_martin679 (Post 12384862)
Hi there,

Thanks
Holly

Came here in August, managed to get a two bed nice place for $1700 about 10 mins from town but you need to hunt. A nice one bedder about $1400 but again you need to search for them. Their are long term car rentals available, my work place arranged a hire car for $500/month but that was low season so maybe your work do a salary advance to buy a car? Alternatively there are adverts on e-cay doing long term rental for two years - but its about $550/month for a poxy Suzuki Swift so for me you are better buying. However consider that insurance is up front about $400 or more too and many (relatively) cheap cars here are cheap for a good reason, the island kills cars.

Tony

Gordon Barlow Nov 24th 2017 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by TandD2017 (Post 12386938)
Their are long term car rentals available, my work place arranged a hire car for $500/month but that was low season so maybe your work do a salary advance to buy a car? Alternatively there are adverts on e-cay doing long term rental for two years - but its about $550/month for a poxy Suzuki Swift so for me you are better buying. However consider that insurance is up front about $400 or more too and many (relatively) cheap cars here are cheap for a good reason, the island kills cars.
Tony

Well, just a couple of comments on Tony's post... The insurance premium of $400 is only for Third Party. Not all insurance companies will cover old cars (3 or 4 years, plus) for comprehensive at any price. Second: yes, there are a lot of bangers around, but there are some excellent old cars on the roads too - including the two we drive, which aren't for sale at any price, I'm sorry to tell you! Generally, Toyotas last well, especially right-hand-drive*** Japanese ones - "deportees", they're called. $500 a month for a new car is ridiculous; I would never recommend that.
*** Half the cars on the Island are left-hand-drive ones, made in USA. It takes a bit of getting used to, since we drive on the left, here.

Holly_martin679 Jan 3rd 2018 8:11 am

Thanks for all the information !! We managed to get an apartment close to seven mile beach and George Town and we have just hired a car for the month to see what are options are. Moving next week, let’s hope everything goes smoothly!!

Gordon Barlow Jan 4th 2018 12:36 am

I was wrong in saying that the insurance premium of $400 is for Third Party. That's what I pay, with a no-claims bonus; the actual premium without NCB is something like $1000. Sorry, Holly. I'm told that if a new immigrant can present a certificate from his home insurance company, reporting that he has made no claim for the past several years, he might be allowed to pay the lower sum. Depends on the Cayman insurance company, of course. Good luck.