Moving to Cayman

Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Mikmak2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Cayman

Hi All,

Firstly I'm just a new member, came across this site when looking into moving to Cayman and it's very informative.

I have a question regarding moving to Cayman (I'm sure this is a standard question but with a twist).

So I'm 28, about to Qualify in June as an accountant and although I didn't go to University, I've got an impressive CV under my belt including 3 years of top tier accountancy practices, 2 years industry and now working as a contractor in an investment bank.

I've looked into moving and I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a nice life with nice people (well nicer than Glasgow anyway!!!).

My issue is that my Fiance (who will be my wife in May before we would move) worked in retail for 7 years and now works in customer service in a bank, whilst I'm sure that the salary I could command (probably around $70k) would give us a reasonable standard of living, I wouldn't want to take her over if she couldn't get a job because I'm sure she would end up getting bored and that would be unfair.

Any thoughts on whether she'd be able to get a job quite easily?

Last edited by Mikmak2009; Jul 8th 2014 at 9:28 am.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cayman

Originally Posted by Mikmak2009
Hi All,

Firstly I'm just a new member, came across this site when looking into moving to Cayman and it's very informative.

I have a question regarding moving to Cayman (I'm sure this is a standard question but with a twist).

So I'm 28, about to Qualify in June as an accountant and although I didn't go to University, I've got an impressive CV under my belt including 3 years of top tier accountancy practices, 2 years industry and now working as a contractor in an investment bank.

I've looked into moving and I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a nice life with nice people (well nicer than Glasgow anyway!!!).

My issue is that my Fiance (who will be my wife in May before we would move) worked in retail for 7 years and now works in customer service in a bank, whilst I'm sure that the salary I could command (probably around $70k) would give us a reasonable standard of living, I wouldn't want to take her over if she couldn't get a job because I'm sure she would end up getting bored and that would be unfair.

Welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that it's becoming more difficult to get a job over there, just like Bermuda. Unemployment is rising and unless it's a highly skilled job, they'll always employ a local. A work permit can cost several thousands for an auditor, but getting a customer service job will be impossible, as there are plenty of locals who can do that job. $70K sounds a lot but in pounds it's only 40K and life on an island can be very expensive (rent, electrics, food). The island is only 76 sq mi and if she's not working, sitting on a beach all day gets boring too. You said "I've looked into moving and I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a nice life with nice people (well nicer than Glasgow anyway!!!)". Island people can be extremely racist, especially if they have the feeling you're taking away jobs. I was born on a small island (not Carribean), left and returned when I was older and it is true. Some are happy, but when it comes to unemployment the foreigners are first to blame.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

She could probably get a job in food and beverage - give the Ritz a call or the Westin. Can she waitress? Beach tart serving drinks? That is what I did when I first went there and then met people and got a position in hedge funds (I am qualified) !
Love the life - was just there last week on vacation. I lived there for 14 years.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Best of luck with your job search. In the last couple of years, the hedge funds and other financial companies have closed shop.

With Miami so closeby, it is easier to get seasonal retail F&B industry personnel. Last month the woman who took my orders at JWM, said she comes every summer after college, to chill and make money.

Without a degree in accounting, rather difficult to make a case for renewal of your papers.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Mikmak. I've lived here since 1978 and am now retired here. The immigration-authorities are bastards and monsters, and represent the xenophobes in the community. Many of my early blog-posts cover this topic pretty thoroughly.

Having said that, it's a very, very, comfortable place to live, if you're well paid. Your OP indicated that you were looking for advice for both yourself and your new wife. You should be OK, if you can line up a job from where you are now. She will have a bit more trouble, but as a resident she will have priority over somebody from outside. As Orangepants said, as long as she isn't fussy about what she does for work, she'll be OK too. She should head for one of the employment agencies as soon as she arrives. She might have to wait a while, but there are plenty of things to do. Not to worry.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Poppy@34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikmak2009
Hi All,

Mikmak, sorry to rehash your old post but I'm I'm the same position as your fiancée at the time of posting...

Did he guys move over? Has your fiancée had any joy in finding a job?
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

MissCarrieK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,

I'm Carrie, moving from the UK to teach in Grand Cayman.

These posts have been extremely helpful- especially thanks to Gordon and Orangepants.

Those of you that have taken the plunge, how are you finding it? I'm really looking forward to the move now but I'm worried about maintaining the lifestyle I'm used to on a single teacher's salary! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Carrie
Old Apr 19th 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Carrie,

I'm moving to Cayman to teach too!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCR
Hey Carrie,

I'm moving to Cayman to teach too!
Wonderful! When? What school? Be great to meet up!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissCarrieK
Wonderful! When? What school? Be great to meet up!
I've PM'd you!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Poppy@34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ladies

Glad to see so many others moving over...following my original post I've decided to take the plunge and move over...now the madness really begins

P
Old Apr 19th 2015, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy@34
Ladies

Glad to see so many others moving over...following my original post I've decided to take the plunge and move over...now the madness really begins

P
Great! Let us know what it's like, please! Hopefully meet up over there!
Old May 24th 2015, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Michaelxhermes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to anyone who has moved over to work recently

Can anyone confirm if this the correct Police clearance form? I need to have two,one for my teaching job and one for immigration. So do I need to order and pay for two instead of one original and a copy?

Thanks

Michael
PS Will be teaching at Cayman Prep and High from Sept 2015 so feel free to say hello
Old May 25th 2015, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michaelxhermes
Hello to anyone who has moved over to work recently

Can anyone confirm if this the correct Police clearance form? I need to have two,one for my teaching job and one for immigration. So do I need to order and pay for two instead of one original and a copy?

Thanks

Michael
PS Will be teaching at Cayman Prep and High from Sept 2015 so feel free to say hello
Hello! Why don't you ask the HR at the school? I always got an affidavit from a lawyer so cant help there. Or call immigration?

Enjoy
Old May 25th 2015, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Michael. Orangepants is right: ask the school. Remember, it's their Work Permit, not yours. They are the ones who lodge the application, and deal with Immigration. At a guess, I would say you need to send only the one Certificate - the original that will be lodged with the application. The School administrators will take as many copies as they want.

(I live here, as you see, but am out of touch with all the requirements.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.