Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Moving 27th July with my partner - Advice needed on finding/between work options!

Moving 27th July with my partner - Advice needed on finding/between work options!

Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:31 pm
ilh
Just Joined

ilh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving 27th July with my partner - Advice needed on finding/between work options!

Hi all,

My partner (we are not married) has secured a role on the island as an attorney. It is with a local firm not one of the multinationals so the pay is good but not excessive.

I have a Business Management Degree and MCIPD in Human Resources - basically a masters in HR. However, my previous two years I have spent working in a junior general management role.

I have the option to sign up to an agency, land with a temporary work permit and do temp work until a permanent role arises however I will be contracted for six months to the agency. Alternatively, I can come out as a tourist and look for my own work on arrival. I understand that if and when I do find a job I would need to leave the island for a few days when my work permit is processed.

What would people recommend as the best option, how easy is it to find my own employment? I'm a little stuck. Finance wise, we could manage on my partners salary though I would prefer to find work asap after arrival.

Also, with regards to health insurance. Can anyone recommend how they found insurance whilst only on a tourist visa? My understanding is that to take travel insurance out for an extended period of time ie until I found an employer, I would need to have a return date booked to the UK.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

OttawaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving 27th July with my partner - Advice needed on finding/between work options!

I believe Affinity Recruitment in Cayman is actually looking for a recruiter if that's the line you're looking for.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving 27th July with my partner - Advice needed on finding/between work options!

Originally Posted by ilh
I have the option to sign up to an agency, land with a temporary work permit and do temp work until a permanent role arises however I will be contracted for six months to the agency. Alternatively, I can come out as a tourist and look for my own work on arrival.

Also, with regards to health insurance. Can anyone recommend how they found insurance whilst only on a tourist visa? My understanding is that to take travel insurance out for an extended period of time ie until I found an employer, I would need to have a return date booked to the UK.
My advice would be to sign up with an agency and do temp work while you look around for something permanent. If the agency gets a Work Permit to employ you (WPs are granted to employers, not employees; ours is an indentured-labour system), then you will be able to come in without a return ticket. Without a Work Permit - as far as I know, and I am a bit rusty on this - you won't be allowed in, being unmarried and all. Better check my information with your boyfriend's employer.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:47 am
ilh
Just Joined

ilh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies, great to receive some help!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Gordon, temp for 6 months, make some contacts and take it from there. You'll meet people out and about, it's all about networking - that's how you'll get a good job. You might look to the law firms.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Lauraanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can I ask how did the search go? I am arriving the end of the month and will be looking for a job. Just wanting to know how easy/difficult it is.

Thanks.