Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Logistics of immigrating to Grand Cayman

Logistics of immigrating to Grand Cayman

Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

EarlGeog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Logistics of immigrating to Grand Cayman

Hi Everyone,

I'm 26 female immigrating in August to teach. Forum advice has been invaluable so far but the logistics of moving raises lots of questions. If anyone has any experience or advice I'd really appreciate it - Getting ready to move is quite daunting!

1. Is it worth shipping basic kitchenware and clothes? Or pay excess for flight baggage. Also is it even worth shipping household goods? I know many places come furnished.
2. Do I need a certain length of time for my passport to be valid. It currently has less than 2 years till it expires.
3. My employer will put me up in a hotel for 2 weeks when I arrive - is it better to sort accommodation then or arrange it before I leave the UK?
4. Should I change my current bank to a UK bank which has office in Grand Cayman e.g Barclays, or wait till I arrive and open an account on the Island? I'm currently with Nationwide Building Society.
5. I need to sort medical insurance for 5 weeks before my employee cover starts. Any recommendations? The companies I've approached so far want me to sign up for a longer period of time.

Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Logistics of immigrating to Grand Cayman

I wouldn't bother with household stuff as most, if not all apartments are furnished. I would bring sheets and towels though but you can also buy all that sort of stuff there. Bring your favorite wine opener! I'd pay for an extra suitcase or two - I guess depends how much you want to bring.
No sure about the passport - you can always renew it through the service offered in Cayman when it is coming up for renewal.
Accom - preferable to sort it out when you are there, as you wouldn't want to pay a deposit sight unseen. You'll meet people who will know people who have places for rent so take your time and get what you want.
Leave your bank account open in the UK and open an account at one of the Cayman banks. Ask what bank your school uses and then open it there to make salary deposits easier.
No idea about medical. Ask your employer to begin coverage earlier and you will pay them the difference?

Have fun - great place to live - I went originally for 8 months and stayed 15 years!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice! Feel calmer already!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Earl: have you already read "New Resident" magazine? Lots of useful information there; Google it.

O'pants has given you good advice. You have no need to worry! Are you teaching in the private sector or the government? That will make a difference to your medical insurance.

You didn't ask how much you will need in cash to set yourself up here. If you have in mind to buy a (good used) car, and to live on your own, then you should probably bring as much as US$ 10,000, whatever that is in pounds.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

trix2112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi EarlGeog,

I too have some of the same worries, and am also (hopefully) moving out in August to take up a position in a school, still waiting for contracts & to see what documentation I need to provide.
I'm 45, female, single & daughter all grown up, which is what made me think 'fab!...what have I got to lose?' when I saw the job advertised.

I am currently employed as a school Science technician in the UK, and this is what I will be doing in Cayman...support staff roles never pay brilliantly & so I am worried about start up costs too, am thinking that looking for shared accommodation is the way forward, and may have to consider walking/bus distance from work as not sure my savings will stretch to car purchase.

Much of what you have said applies to me, re - first two weeks being put up in hotel & medical insurance for first 5 weeks (wonder if we are going to be working for the same employer!)

Have to say that now I am thinking more about it, and realising what is involved both logistically & financially, my initial excitement is subsiding a little & am feeling a little daunted
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

I've been doing a ton or research and there is the flexibility to living within a range of means. Thankfully the tax haven stereotype isn't 100% accurate. My employers have told me if I don't live near the school a car purchase will be necessary. After looking at 2nd websites a car for $2-3000 is feasible but will be something I buy after a few months if possible. The same websites has lots of other people looking for room mates so I bet you'll be fine there. As most places are furnished it looks cheaper to pay for extra luggage as I'm not planning on bringing furniture etc. maybe worth looking at? My school recommended bring $2-3000 to get started. From what I can gather the start up fees purely depend on how much a car would cost. Hope that helps! If I find anything else out ill let you know
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

It is natural to feel nervous moving to a new country, but kudos to you for doing it for the first time now. There are lots of people always coming and going from the island and most seem to settle well and love it. It is very easy to make friends and get involved. The first couple of months are tough financially as you get used to the price of groceries and general everyday living but you dont need a huge salary to have a good time but life without a car will be tough, esp in the summer months.. The public transport isn't up to much, but some get by with it..
Ecayonline is a good resource for checking out accom. You wouldn't want to pay less than $600 a month for a decent place in shared accom., and as you dont know the areas, don't arrange something before you go.
Read back through some of my posts, click on my username and you can see posts I have made on Cayman and read Gordon's blog - very interesting.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Sorayray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EarlGeog
Hi Everyone,

I'm 26 female immigrating in August to teach. Forum advice has been invaluable so far but the logistics of moving raises lots of questions. If anyone has any experience or advice I'd really appreciate it - Getting ready to move is quite daunting!

1. Is it worth shipping basic kitchenware and clothes? Or pay excess for flight baggage. Also is it even worth shipping household goods? I know many places come furnished.
2. Do I need a certain length of time for my passport to be valid. It currently has less than 2 years till it expires.
3. My employer will put me up in a hotel for 2 weeks when I arrive - is it better to sort accommodation then or arrange it before I leave the UK?
4. Should I change my current bank to a UK bank which has office in Grand Cayman e.g Barclays, or wait till I arrive and open an account on the Island? I'm currently with Nationwide Building Society.
5. I need to sort medical insurance for 5 weeks before my employee cover starts. Any recommendations? The companies I've approached so far want me to sign up for a longer period of time.

Thanks
Hi

I am looking to find a role in teaching on the island - how easy was it for you to find your role? I am teaching assistant level. What was your interview process like being over here? How did you find your role - did you go through schools directly?

Thanks,
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:46 am
Just Joined

trix2112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I have landed a job as science technician that I saw advertised through TES jobs. Application submitted via email.
The interview was conducted via Skype, bit nerve-racking as I had never used Skype before then, and because of the whole 'interview' thing, but turned out to be far less scary than any face-to-face interview I've had before.

Cayman Prep & High School did have a list of vacancies on their website, one of which was for a TA, but I do not know if that vacancy has now been filled. Good luck!