How safe...really?

Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:39 am
Just Joined

trix2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How safe...really?

Okay, so my work permit has been approved and so I will be shortly arriving on island & looking for somewhere to live...so my question is how safe is it really?...
I've seen various news reports about crime (particularly burglary) being on the increase on the island & am wondering is there anywhere that I would really not want to live?...
I will be working in Georgetown, and was thinking of finding somewhere close to work as I'm not sure I'll be able to afford transport straight away, I will be living on a budget of approx CI$2,000 a month (for everything!)
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe...really?

Look for a room to rent in the Retreats on Smith Road/Bobby Thompson Way or in South Sound. It is a housing complex with pools and gym etc and a short walk into GT. Coco Retreat, Mystic Retreat, Garden and Sunset. You don't want to live off Eastern Avenue where it meets West Bay Road. Look at ecayonline and google maps.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Trix. Try http://freecayads.com/index.php?id=263 and also find a Friday "Compass" (newspaper) as soon as you arrive. You will absolutely have to share, on your wage. Your employer ought to be able to help you find a place to live with others.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

found a place that a real estate agent was going to arrange for me to view...it's the Palm Suites...or there's another place on Walker's Road...obviously I don't know the island at all & don't want to be misled as to what the areas are really like
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say no to Palm Suites - it is right in town but pretty shabby area and it'd be pretty noisy. You'd be better sharing in a townhouse a little further out. Where on Walkers Road? - Do you mind Roosters? I lived on Walkers Road, behind the Texaco for a bit - until the roosters drove me out of my mind! By sharing you get the benefit of the other person's TV and stereo and stocked kitchen etc and much better for you being new to the island.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the input...

where I am currently (in UK) we're inundated with seagulls that never seem to shut up, so I'm guessing roosters wouldn't be too different!...
The Walker's Road one is East Blvd...(I'm looking at those that are cheaper to rent, and so am guessing that they will not be the most desirable)...have asked agents to let me know when I arrive about other suitable rentals they may have

I have also asked the lady in HR to ask around to see if anyone has a room to rent
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

East Boulevard - that's not too bad area. I was just round the corner on Coemer Drive but that was around 10 years ago, but roosters are pretty awful - crowing at all times of the night. The facilities in a shared would be so much nicer and you'd probably have outside space whereas a studio will have no outside space except the parking lot. Lots of people of all ages share - so it is not like a frat house scenario. !

Ask your realtor if there is anything at Coconut Harbour on South Sound - studio and one bed apts on the water where a of people stay when they are new. Has a great community spirit there, pool - a friend of mine lives there and loves it. Used to be a dive resort now long term let apts.