Government or private school?

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

bahamamama33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Government or private school?

We are thinking of relocating to the Caymans later this year. I have read that it is possible for expats to send their children to government school if they are employed by the government.

Has anyone sent their own children to government schools? What are your opinions of doing so?

My son would be going into one of the new Reception classes if a place was available.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Funkymonkeez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Government or private school?

Hi there,
I am afraid I cannot help with the education question but it would be really useful to know as we have 3 children of school age and are considering moving to cayman. Do you know anything about the cost of living.? We are unsure if the wage offer will be enough to afford a nice standard of living. The wage is around the 55000 cayman dollars. Any advice would be great.
Good luck
Cathie
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi Cathie,
By my calculations you should be fine on that salary as long as you are good at budgeting, even with 3 kids at private school. You wouldn't be left with much for emergency flights home or any other unexpected things that may crop up though.
We lived in the Bahamas for a while which is a similarly expensive place to live, but found that we were able to save as we weren't interested in the night life etc, just the beach!
Have you considered home ed? We are planning to home educate our son if government school isn't a viable option.
Good luck with it all.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,
Thanks for your message it is really helpful. We are in Devon, in the UK at the moment and wondering if we are brave enough to take the plunge into the expat life again! We lived in Egypt 10 years ago before kids. I was hoping on local education being available. Good luck with your move and thanks for messaging back.
Cathie
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:02 am
Just Joined

No way, we are in Exeter!

Keep me posted if you do go out there as it's nice to have people to talk about home with!

Nicola
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Wow what a small world! When are you moving over? Are you going to cayman island or one of the sister islands? Will definitely keep you posted if we take the plunge! Good luck.
Cathie
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

It depends on the job situation, but will probably be grand cayman. I'll let you know if it all comes together!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I have to diagree with a family living on a salary of $55CI. School fees are about $8K per year per child. Monthly expenses will run at approx $3.5k a month inc food. I lived there for 15 years and yes I lived the life (was single) going out, dinners, drinks etc and trips to Miami but I couldn't envisage living in such a beautfiful place and living hand to mouth which is what you would be doing..
Search for some of my previous posts on cost of living..

Good luck - it is a great place to live and bringing up children.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,
Thanks for your posting it us really helpful as it is a huge move with a family of 4 children abroad. We were also concerned about return flights home being expensive and not included with the job. I think education and health insurance is included but it will be local not private education. I think the cost of accommodation could be expensive we don't want to be stuck in a flat with 4 little ones. Not sure where we will end up! The location looks like paradise tho! Thank u again.
Cathie
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funkymonkeez
Hi there,
Thanks for your posting it us really helpful as it is a huge move with a family of 4 children abroad. We were also concerned about return flights home being expensive and not included with the job. I think education and health insurance is included but it will be local not private education. I think the cost of accommodation could be expensive we don't want to be stuck in a flat with 4 little ones. Not sure where we will end up! The location looks like paradise tho! Thank u again.
Cathie
If you dont have to pay for school then that is a big bonus and health insurance is paid 100% by govt jobs. Flights would be expensive for you all - 6 of you - travelling at peak times due to school holidays. You could probably get a house in Savannah/Newlands with a garden for about $2k so you dont have to live in an apt and the big plus is that nearly everywhere is fully furnished but lots of people do live in complexes because of the maintenance of gardens etc and they like to have access to pool, gym, tennis court etc and of course then meet other peeps. Start up costs are expensive too - with deposits etc. Look at ecayonline.com for accom available. I'm also not sure that Immigration would see $55k as adequate salary for family with 5 dependants.