Dunnymichelle

Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Dunnymichelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dunnymichelle

Moving to and living in Cayman Islands.
Hi all, I am looking at a job which will earn myself and my wife about CI40k a year. I am a bit worried about whether this will be enough to live in even a reasonable flat/apartment on a reasonable area. So need to ask for your kind help on the following:

1. Will we be able to survive but not really go out to bars/restaurants?
2. Will she need to get a job to supplement our income?
3. Are there part-time positions in the bars, rest, shops readily available?
4. What is it like for a wife at home while I am out at work meeting new people?
5. Can you get a 2bed for 1200CI/month in a pleasant area?

I know there are some great sites but I need some accurate and realistic information from people who understand the exact situation we would find ourselves in.

Hope that doesn't sound too pessimistic but it would be great to know the score- don't want the dream to fall on its face!

Many thanks........
Dunny
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:48 am
Just Joined

caymanredman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dunnymichelle

Hi Dunny
I lived in Cayman for 10yrs, I did leave 2yrs ago but can give you a good idea of what to expect.
You will be able to survive on 40k a year but obviously living close to your work would be ideal as gas is expensive.
There are plenty of areas to live that are nice areas but there a few areas in West Bay or George Town that can be a little dodgy.All along the 7 mile beach area the apartments tend to be expensive but the good news is that there is an abundance of nice places to rent all over the island and you just need to look about. Whilst I was writing this I was actually on the phone to and our friends sister does have a a place to rent for CI$1000 a month with utilities but the living room and bedroom are combined but it is central to 7 mile beach this is their phone number .9174902.

Groceries in Cayman are also very expensive and so can electric if you use AC alot so take this into consideration.
If you wife does have some experience she should be able to get some work but I am not sure if she can do part-time as the employer will need to pay for a work permit and these can be expensive so they would probably want full time staff.

I did mention about her working as Cayman can be a very social island and you can get caught up in this as many expats like wining and dining.

Try to get a a short time contract for your apartment until you get used to the island where you want to be and whether you have transport and near to the supermarket etc .
I spent 10yrs there and I still call it my home it is really beautiful and different lifestyle that can change alot of people.
Good luck
Old Oct 9th 2013, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Dunnymichelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cayman island potential newbie.

That is really useful and a relief on that wage! What areas would you suggest then and what would these places have to offer in terms of closeness to the beach; are they in a big block; are there pools which can be used in a communal sense. Can you use a moped or bike to work as that would seem cheaper?! I would need to be near the cayman prep and high school- or within 2 miles of.

Thanks for giving your time to answer my queries.

All advice gratefully received!

Dunny
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

There are a few areas very close to Cayman prep area that I would not recommend but there are plenty 5-10 mins away which are nice. Get a temporary place to begin then get the local paper, I think Fridays paper will have places for rent and I am sure there could be 4-6 pages full of rentals and because there are so many they have dropped in price. Many of the condos or private places do have pools and there are many new condos also.
The condos can come in blocks of 4-20 apartments usually on average, some a little more.

Regarding a moped or bike to make you are aware that the drivers in Cayman are not the best, they have no regard for cyclists and also take into consideration your place is not too far from the supermarket, there is a Fosters at the airport also.
Also regarding your place of work, you will be stuck in traffic, there have been significant road works over the last few years to change this but ask your work colleagues about the traffic problems once you get some accommodation to look at. All around the schools and around the George Town area from 7am-9am it can be pretty bad, same 4pm-6pm ish.

Besides your rental your biggest outlay will be your groceries which could be about CI$600 a month for 2 depending on your eating habits.
Electric can range from CI$80-CI$250 a month depending on AC and dryer usage.
Water I think is about $40 a month and internet/cable around CI$50 for the 2 but there are 3/4 companies for internet with different prices.

Also just be aware that there are some jobs that your wife cannot apply for as this will be for Caymanians only but bars and restaurants are not on the list.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

What is your wife planning to do with her time? A few weeks to enjoy the beach and get to know Cayman is great but after that? Perhaps some voluntary work but she'd need a car. Getting around by bike would be tough, moped may be ok but as Caymanredman said - drivers are not too considerate to others!

I would say on that salary you would just about get by each month, no trips, no dinners, no diving but if you live very simply, you could manage but it wouldn't be much fun.

Accommodation - Sunrise have some nice one beds apt, 2 bed at apts at the Retreats on Smith Road. Get a realtor to find you something.

Ask the realtor if there is anything at Coconut Harbour on South Sound - studio and one bed apts on the water where a of people stay when they are new. Has a great community spirit there, pool - a friend of mine lives there and loves it. Used to be a dive resort now long term let apts.

I think the key will be for your wife to work. What does she do? Would she work in food and beverage services - she'd get to meet people.

Good luck - great place to live but pretty expensive.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Default Dunnymichelle

As you see the other person replying to you is also suggesting your wife works and it is because like I mentioned before that Cayman is very social.The first few months will be fine but once you start to meet new people and get invited out that is when it maybe more difficult.
Cayman is expensive but it will all depend on where your costs go, I have seen people earn 70'000 a year and blow it all very easly. I have seen others earn 40,000 and actually save money to leave the island after a few years.

By the way if you guys do dive you could do shore dives if you are both certified as this can be way cheaper.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Dunny. There are quite a few threads in this forum that are relevant to your enquiries. Also, Google "New Resident Cayman" and the classified ads on "Cayman News Service". Lots of info there.

(Caymanredman - is that you, John?)
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gordon
No my name is Chris, you have the wrong guy