Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Does Cayman suffer from 'Island Time'?

Does Cayman suffer from 'Island Time'?

Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

OttawaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does Cayman suffer from 'Island Time'?

I've been to several islands in the Caribbean, sometimes for work, sometimes for vacation and I understand the whole 'island time' thing. Especially when I'm on vacation but when I'm working , I'm working. Maybe it's the Canadian in me.

So my question is, does business in Cayman operate on the mentality of 'Island Time'? ie: "it will get done when it gets done".

I've been waiting to hear the results of an RFP that closed in early May. It's now the end of June and I would have hoped it had been awarded by now but I'm chalking it up to 'Island Time' if that indeed exists in Cayman.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does Cayman suffer from 'Island Time'?

Island time DEFINITELY exists here... As frustrating as it is...
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OttawaMan
I've been waiting to hear the results of an RFP that closed in early May. It's now the end of June and I would have hoped it had been awarded by now but I'm chalking it up to 'Island Time' if that indeed exists in Cayman.
Well, yes and no. Cayman is a rich little island that attracts a lot of cowboy-offers that local businesses can afford to ignore, especially if they arrive without recognised credentials.

Although, if your request was to a government department, then Island Time would most assuredly be a factor.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, yes and no. Cayman is a rich little island that attracts a lot of cowboy-offers that local businesses can afford to ignore, especially if they arrive without recognised credentials.

Although, if your request was to a government department, then Island Time would most assuredly be a factor.
Yes it is a government department so a month and a half delayed is normal? Guess all I can do is wait.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is a government department so a month and a half delayed is normal? Guess all I can do is wait.
Answers: yes, and yes. Just as an illustration of the pace at which our Civil Service proceeds, the three top officers of our Immigration Department have been on paid leave - on full salaries and benefits - for four years while they are being investigated for alleged corruption or similar. Years ago, when I was having an argument with a government department, I calculated that in the time it took to get a reply from them, a snail (travelling at average snail-speed) could have crawled from the department to my home and back, a mile away, twice. I reported that calculation in my newspaper column, which didn't win me any friends in high places - although it won me a few new ones in low places!

So. Wait, but don't hold your breath.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Well...I guess it's island time. The company in question has won the RFP but now they need to set themselves up as a corporate entitity so I wait some more...likely end of September. Then they'll need to process my work visa...who knows how long that will take. I guess it will be a Christmas move.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well...I guess it's island time. The company in question has won the RFP but now they need to set themselves up as a corporate entitity so I wait some more...likely end of September. Then they'll need to process my work visa...who knows how long that will take. I guess it will be a Christmas move.
By "a corporate entity" I presume you mean a local (Caymanian) company. Your Work Permit may take anything between a week and a couple of months - partly depending on who your local representative is... (Do I have to spell that out?) i wish you good luck with everything.