Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Coming to Cayman on visitor permit whilst still searching for job

Coming to Cayman on visitor permit whilst still searching for job

Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

billgeorge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to Cayman on visitor permit whilst still searching for job

Hi all

My partner and I have been searching for a job in Cayman for around three months now and she has secured a position (we are both accountants). She has a tentative start date of the first week in August. This presents us with a problem as I am still searching for a position and have a three month notice period in my current role.

Assuming the worst case that I cannot secure something in the next three months, we would really rather not be apart for both personal and financial reasons for any length of time so are considering whether I should come over at the same time on a visitor permit (which I understand can be extended to up to 6 months with permission of the chief immigration officer). Whilst there as a visitor I would still be engaged with the same employment agent in the UK who would continue to speak with firms on my behalf.

My concern is that I have read you should not come over to Cayman on a visitor permit and start to search for a job. I'm not sure whether my circumstances are different as I would have been searching for a job for six months at the time of entry, so I wouldnt be coming over to then start the process once I'm there. I intend to write to the immigration office to clarify but I was wondering whether anyone would be able to provide any advice?

I realise that the above may not fully set out the situation, I'm happy to provide more details if needed?

thank you very much
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Cayman on visitor permit whilst still searching for job

You'll probably be given 30 days as a tourist when you enter and then you can apply for an extension - probably get another 30 days when you pay the $50 or $100 for each subsequent. Why don't you get married and then you can be a dependent on her permit if she earns enough?
Are you personally talking to all the accounting firms and getting no response? Do you have a recruitment person in Cayman? Lots of people come to the island for interviews etc and get a job it isn't expressly forbidden. They can then submit a quick 6 month permit whilst completing the 1or 2 yr permit forms. They don't want to encourage people that may then subsequently run out of funds. What type of accounting? Are you experienced?
Good luck - great place to live.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks orangepants.

Things on the job search front are sorted, i'm just thinking ahead in case cannot secure something in the next three months.

I guess you have answered my question in that, although it is discouraged, many people come over and find a job whilst here.

Thanks, can't wait!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgeorge
I intend to write to the immigration office to clarify but I was wondering whether anyone would be able to provide any advice?
I realise that the above may not fully set out the situation, I'm happy to provide more details if needed?
Bill - In your situation I myself would not write to Immigration and put my name on their files. However, that may be just my prejudice, because I have had many years of aggravation from that Department and have learned not to trust them. (I've posted some of my opinions on my blog.) As a general statement, they don't think highly of your hunting for a job while on the Island. The less they know about it, the better.

Why not register with an agency in London? That's how many accountants get jobs here. That's how I got here 35 years ago! 35 years is a long time, but I don't think things have changed; it's still the logical thing to do.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Bill - In your situation I myself would not write to Immigration and put my name on their files. However, that may be just my prejudice, because I have had many years of aggravation from that Department and have learned not to trust them. (I've posted some of my opinions on my blog.) As a general statement, they don't think highly of your hunting for a job while on the Island. The less they know about it, the better.

Why not register with an agency in London? That's how many accountants get jobs here. That's how I got here 35 years ago! 35 years is a long time, but I don't think things have changed; it's still the logical thing to do.
FWIW, your counsel here (the approach and particularly using a London agency - moi aussi) applies just as much to job searching in Bermuda though hunting for work whilst on the Island is really expressly frowned upon.

I would say that in my experience now is the very worst time to be looking for work in accountancy or more specifically audit since busy season is just about over even for March 31st year-ends when most files will already be handed to the manager for review so there is a lull until October when the big firms are doing their recruiting to have you on board in good time for December 31st. The only IN would be if they felt a need to provide cover for vacation leave for those on two or more year contracts for the odd audit outside busy season and permanent audits. Alternatively, if you are actually looking for Accounting work in a firm's Accounting Services Dept. rather than audit that is not so seasonal but a lot of this work is done by unqualified's.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 28th 2013 at 6:39 pm.