CI$49,000 enough for two?

Old Jul 30th 2014, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

DavidWalshe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CI$49,000 enough for two?

Hi guys I've been offered a role (salary $60,000 US basic) could you advise if a young married couple can afford to live comfortably on the island on that salary? works out about CI$49,000 I believe. My wife plans on finding a job when we get out there but until then I hope we'll earn enough to do more than just "get by" thanks in advance for your advice
Old May 24th 2015, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Michaelxhermes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CI$49,000 enough for two?

David

I am moving out with my wife in August this year 2015. Did you move to live in the CI?
If so, does the salary work?

Also, my wife will look for a part time job when she gets out there. Can you offer any advice? did she get a job? should she email companies while still in the UK? Is there anything you wished you had done while still in the UK?

thanks
Michael
Old May 31st 2015, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming a bit late to this thread, for some reason, but if it's not too late for you (Michael), CI$50K will be fine for you. You didn't say what the job was, or what skills you bring to it, but you should be fine. Your wife's ability to land a job also depends on her skills/qualifications. As you will know by now, your employer will put you up somewhere for a couple of weeks for you to look around for a place to live.

You can't go wrong, really. It's a very comfortable place to live, with a middle-class job and income. We've been here for 37 years, which I guess is recommendation enough. The local politics stink, but as a newcomer you won't notice!
Old May 31st 2015, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Michaelxhermes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gordon for you advice

I have been reading a lot of your musings on your blog and forums. It is very good of your to share your experiences which I am sure many people, like myself, really do appreciate! Hopefully I will get to meet you in the flesh some time. I am the new computing teacher at Cayman Prep and High from September. I feel you are probably a fan of IT and computing so we can have a good chat.

I was hoping for a reply from David, who is in a very similar situation to myself, but he has not been on the forum for a while.

My wife is a very experienced pharmacy technician and would like a part time job some time. She intends to send an introductory email to all the pharmacy managers and if any express an interest she can follow it up. She does not need to work so can take her time and put the feelers out later.

thanks

Michael

Last edited by Michaelxhermes; May 31st 2015 at 9:12 am.
Old May 31st 2015, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michaelxhermes
I was hoping for a reply from David, who is in a very similar situation to myself, but he must be too busy to reply.
I suspect he's just not seen your post - this is a very old thread, and he's not been on the forum at all since September 2014.

HTH.