Been here 6 months now

Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been here 6 months now

Hiya, first post on this board, although I have been lurking for a long time!

We (husband, me and 8yo son) moved over at Easter due to my work, they are both dependants on my permit.

All is going well really, we gave a house, car, school, bank accounts etc, the main hurdle we have us finding hubbie a job, which is the reason for my post.

It's a but of a long shot but does anyone know anything about being an electrician out here? Hubbie is a uk qualified electrician/CCTV/alarm/fire alarm bod.

When we moved here he went to see the planing dept, who we were told were in charge of electrical licensing. He asked how to transfer his quals over, did he need to sit an exam etc.

He was told that it would be a simple matter of exchanging his uk quals for a ky licence, but that it would need to be applied for by his employer once he got a job

Therein lies our problem everyone wants licensed electricians! Chicken and egg lol

While he's looking, he thought he'd go and do some kind of training to convert to the usa regs, thinking that would help, but we can't find anywhere on island that does electrical training!

Does anyone have any knowledge of how this works over here? Whilst we're coping financially, he needs to find work for his own sanity!

Thanks

Michelle
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

clairecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Been here 6 months now

Ar you still on CI?
we are will be arriving in april and need all the help we can get…i.e. schools, housing cars?
how did you cope?

Getting a bit scared now tbh!!!

Thanks
Claire
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire, yup still here lol. Will help where I can, www.caymannewresident.com is invaluable if you've not already found it, and ecaytrade.com for classifieds.

You'll need to get a move on with schools if you're coming over next month, the tests and paperwork can take a while!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

oh really! well my hubby flies out 31 march…we were hoping he cud find the schools when he gets there and apply?
where do u live, where does your son go to school?
did your hubby find work?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

As expats you'll need to go for private schools. And I think all of them require tests etc before offering you a place. Prep and st ignatius are English syllabus, cis is us. There are a couple of others too. My sons at prep, think it took around 2-3 months to get all that organised from the uk, it may be quicker if you're on island, but I'd def start the ball rolling ASAP. If I remember rightly, my son was only given a visitors permit for a month until we could prove he had started school. He then went on as my dependent

My husband has now found work, took him around 9 months
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:22 am
Just Joined

My husbands job is in Georgetown,, I don't have a job but have 3 interviews lined up for when I get there, how did you know where to look for schools if you weasnt there? We have never been to CI so don't know where anythin is! We are just hoping things will fall into place when we get there!
My hubby's company have him a place to stay, so when he gets there he was going to look where the schools are and then look for accommodation?

I know we will prob have to go on holiday visa for 30 days to start and then apply for us to be put on as dependants? Unless I get a job within 30 days?

Is your dons school far from where you live? Is it expensive? We have 2 boys to pay for!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

hi Claire

i'm no expert on these things, and can only go on my own experience, but my husband had to go through the same medicals etc that I did to go on as a dependent. the no of dependents you're allowed is based on your monthly salary. there are details on the gov website. this is of course assuming your husbands job isn't with the government, as the rules are different there. http://www.caymannewresident.com/cay...y-requirements

the primary schools are all pretty much in the same location. we had never been here before either. have a look on here http://www.caymannewresident.com/edu...cayman-islands. private schools cost around 1k ci per month, some do discounts for siblings
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

That's great info thanks..my husband has sent his work place an email asking more questions on location of schools etc...they sed they will let him know'!

Which areas do you live?