Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Advice for single mum looking to move to Caymans

Advice for single mum looking to move to Caymans

Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:20 am
Just Joined

epowell09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for single mum looking to move to Caymans

Hi all

I was hoping people might be able to give me a bit more insight into what life might be like for a single parent looking to move to the Caymans. I am currently in the process of a job application with a school (I'm a teacher) and have a 5 (she will be 6 if/when we moved) daughter who would be at the same school as me.

I've looked at the various sites to do with the Caymans and really like the outdoor lifestyle that we could have and the community feel of the place. Would we be welcomed into it as a single parent family? or would we feel on the outside of those who are families? I know it is more about what you make of it and I'm sure that everyone would be welcoming, just trying to give my parents some comfort that we wouldn't be totally on our own if we moved out there!

How isolated would I be as a single parent?

Any tips or advice you could would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for single mum looking to move to Caymans

Single parents are extremely common in Cayman, so don't worry at all about the social aspect of living here. Not even slightly. The Caribbean takes a very Scandinavian attitude towards such things.

Some of the Christian (private) schools won't hire unmarried mothers, but most schools hire people based on skills and qualifications. So the delicate issue might perhaps be: were you once married to the father? Also, there is the matter of salary - which our Immigration rules insist be large enough to support two people. Anyway, your prospective employer(s) will tell you about those things.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for single mum looking to move to Caymans

Originally Posted by epowell09
Hi all

I was hoping people might be able to give me a bit more insight into what life might be like for a single parent looking to move to the Caymans. I am currently in the process of a job application with a school (I'm a teacher) and have a 5 (she will be 6 if/when we moved) daughter who would be at the same school as me.

I've looked at the various sites to do with the Caymans and really like the outdoor lifestyle that we could have and the community feel of the place. Would we be welcomed into it as a single parent family? or would we feel on the outside of those who are families? I know it is more about what you make of it and I'm sure that everyone would be welcoming, just trying to give my parents some comfort that we wouldn't be totally on our own if we moved out there!

How isolated would I be as a single parent?

Any tips or advice you could would be greatly appreciated.
One of the things you really need to sort out is the permission of the father for you to take your daughter out of the country. This would need to be either written permission notarised or a court order.