Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Accountancy/Insolvency jobs - advice needed

Accountancy/Insolvency jobs - advice needed

Old Aug 18th 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Andie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the rough
Default Accountancy/Insolvency jobs - advice needed

Hi there

I have just started thinking seriously about looking into working in the Caribbean, have done my research, and think that the Cayman Islands are for me.

I am a qualified Insolvency Practitioner and would like to get a feel for when people started actively looking for work in Cayman. I have a (loose) 2 year plan.

I am planning a reconnaissance mission/holiday in 2013 to have a look around. I'd quite like to commence work in Cayman sometime in 2014.

I'd be very grateful to hear anyone's personal experience of the recruitment process and timing.

Thanks,

Andie
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountancy/Insolvency jobs - advice needed

Bearing in mind the kind of business that is carried on te Caymans, I wouldn't think there's much call for insolvency work, or am I missing something.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Andie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Corporate Recovery is a niche market so there will never be as many offshore roles as there are typical accountancy roles but the main recruitment players will usually have these types of vacancies on their books.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andie8
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Corporate Recovery is a niche market so there will never be as many offshore roles as there are typical accountancy roles but the main recruitment players will usually have these types of vacancies on their books.
Good Luck! Based on other expats experiences that I've read here, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself there.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there is a thriving insolvency trade here, resulting from lawsuits and the like relating to the Offshore sector. Insolvencies relating to ordinary commercial activities are relatively rare.

As for enjoying oneself here, yes there's little doubt that you will. In my blogs I tend to be extremely critical of the incompetence of our government, but that subject is of more interest to long-term residents than transients.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Between '08 and now; all the hedge funds that closed, and LLP that dissolved, their insolvency work was handled by major law firms in NY, CT, Miami,FL and DE in the US, London in the UK. Of course apart from inhouse lawyers, local law firms were involved.

Your best bet is you start researching local law practices. Many of the local partners commute back and forth from the East Coast, so to look for a job in that field in Cayman, look for openings elsewhere.