Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Young family considering Carribean/Central Am. relocation

Young family considering Carribean/Central Am. relocation

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Young family considering Carribean/Central Am. relocation

[QUOTE=millonarios;8364319]As someone who is also from Scotland the real hilarity of this post will be lost on most of you! Choosing Scotland over Central America based on the fact "there are hunners of mad bams trying to kidnap you" is very funny.

Em, I am in Canada actually, left Scotland because of the number of junkies, wasters, poor job opportunities and the rain, oh and of course the eggs taste like crap, seemed like a good enough reason to me, of course the hilarity if this will be lost on you as of course all of Scotland is like this......isn't it
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

How about Bequia then, with the Grenadines on the doorstep and St Vincent just across the water for extra culture.

There's a lovely small island community there and if you are talking about the 6 months of the dry season then plenty of fun for a young family.

I lived in the Caribbean for 10 years as a kid in the 70's so am not really current but looking back on my childhood I reckon I had alot of fun and didn't bore of swimming and snorkeling, exploring and sailing, making friends easily and had lots of fun things like making sailing boats out of coconut husks, weaving palm fronds, writing and reading.

We went to local schools both in Grenada and St. Lucia. Mum and Dad had it tougher because they had to make a living as well as cook and look after us.

My brother is skippering a sailing boat out of Grenada now and I have been back as an adult and I still think it's a great opportunity for the kids. 6 months will fly by and you may well become too used to the life-style to want to come back.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

geissler is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I was thrilled when I saw all of the responses to the post. Thank you for all of your replies (and even your opinions ).
Like I said, we are really open to all options and sometimes, we change our minds daily based on the information we hear from this forum and the internet. Belize has been a front runner for a while now, because of it's proximity to Cancun (cheaper flights for visiting family), but I just did some research on the bug situation there. Are the mosquitoes really as bad as it sounds? I'm not sure that I can deal with that. Or am I being naive, are there bug problems in all Caribbean locations?
To answer some of the questions about our plans... We would like to go for a year (or more) we don't really plan to work but are looking for someplace that we can rent a 2-3 bedroom condo/home for $1000-$1500 a month and of course we would love this to be on the beach, but we can walk to the beach.
The Grenadines is becoming more interesting, but what about Turks and Caicos? Too expensive?
Again, thank you so much for all of your replies. It really is helpful on this search and we have really been taking a lot of it seriously (I spent a long time researching Bequei (sp?) last night.
Thanks,
The Geisslers
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geissler
Wow, I was thrilled when I saw all of the responses to the post. Thank you for all of your replies (and even your opinions ).
Like I said, we are really open to all options and sometimes, we change our minds daily based on the information we hear from this forum and the internet. Belize has been a front runner for a while now, because of it's proximity to Cancun (cheaper flights for visiting family), but I just did some research on the bug situation there. Are the mosquitoes really as bad as it sounds? I'm not sure that I can deal with that. Or am I being naive, are there bug problems in all Caribbean locations?
To answer some of the questions about our plans... We would like to go for a year (or more) we don't really plan to work but are looking for someplace that we can rent a 2-3 bedroom condo/home for $1000-$1500 a month and of course we would love this to be on the beach, but we can walk to the beach.
The Grenadines is becoming more interesting, but what about Turks and Caicos? Too expensive?
Again, thank you so much for all of your replies. It really is helpful on this search and we have really been taking a lot of it seriously (I spent a long time researching Bequei (sp?) last night.
Thanks,
The Geisslers

From what I have been told and seen its not that expensive(Turks)

I found on www.enews.tc that there is lots of short term rentals in this price range.

Beer and some fruits are more expensive-

IGA 6 Corona for $13.99, Pineapple $7.99, 12 cans Fanta $4.99, cooked chicken $8.99, Litre pepsi $1.99

Have a look at the enews.tc it has loads of local info and links, I still cant believe how cheap boats are.....yes I know you are not buying one...just a passing comment

Restaurants aren't too bad, theres a lobster one with a set meal for just $45, I am a big lobster fan!

Anyway, you can see for yourself and I dont want to bore the others
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geissler
Belize has been a front runner for a while now, because of it's proximity to Cancun (cheaper flights for visiting family),
That does look alluring, doesn't it... trouble is, getting from Cancun to BZ.
There have been small flights, but they seem to come and go with the wind. There is bus service, but it's a long trip ( don't mind it but some do). It was ultimately cheaper for me to fly into BZ.

but I just did some research on the bug situation there. Are the mosquitoes really as bad as it sounds? I'm not sure that I can deal with that. Or am I being naive, are there bug problems in all Caribbean locations?
Yes, probably that bad.
Yes, in most locations. Trade winds are your friends.

I hate mosquitoes more than anyone, but I never let them stop me. I will win!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Just a comment on the bug situation - here in Cayman we have the bug plane that flies over weekly or as needed in mossie season (wet and humid). I first arrived in Cayman via a 6 week stay in Jamaica and I was white as a sheet having just been in Italy (ski resort) for 5 months and I was bitten to hell. They loved my white skin, and warm, thick blood. Either you get used to them or they get used to you and get bored - I believe it's the latter. After 2 months they moved on and "bugged" someone else and they dont bother me at all now (probably the alcohol content of my blood).