Where in the Caribbeans

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Gedelzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in the Caribbeans

Hi all, first timer here.
So let's see how I go. This is the situation.
I and my 9 year old daughter are now living in Australia. My husband is working in Colombia for one year and we are hating the distance. We want to move somewhere in the Caribbeans so we are closer and he can come visit for weekends.
My questions are
how hard is it to fly from Colombia (bogata)
where in the Caribbean would be the easiest and best for family etc.
Schools, this is tough as my daughter is dyslexic and needs support
Visas
Safe

I was leaning towards Barbados or St Lucia?? We were hoping to go yesturday!

Any advise at this stage would be good.

Gedelzo
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Gedelzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in the Caribbeans

I am thinking of moving to the Caribbeans but my search has been a little disheartening. Does anyone live in the British Virgin Islands that can help. Do I need a visa? I am Australian but my husband is British. He will be working is South America and visiting me and our daughter. We would like to stay for a year. Where are the best places to live and which are the Best International Schools?

Gedelzo
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

In terms of travel logistics - From Bogota, Avianca flies to Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco and Dominican Republic. Caribbean Airlines flies from Trinidad to Caracas, Venezuela from where one could fly to Bogota.

Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco are pretty liberal. You mentioned Barbados - It gives 6 month visa on arrival, but Barbados aint cheap. Most of the English speaking caribbean islands are not inexpensive. They are in fact in many ways more expensive than US. Food in some of the islands is imported from US, gasoline is invariably more expensive than US.

Moving for one year sounds quite drastic in terms of disrupting young kids lives. You could move to Colombia and look for International School there, or try home-schooling your child for an year ?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:22 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
In terms of travel logistics - From Bogota, Avianca flies to Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco and Dominican Republic. Caribbean Airlines flies from Trinidad to Caracas, Venezuela from where one could fly to Bogota.

Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco are pretty liberal. You mentioned Barbados - It gives 6 month visa on arrival, but Barbados aint cheap. Most of the English speaking caribbean islands are not inexpensive. They are in fact in many ways more expensive than US. Food in some of the islands is imported from US, gasoline is invariably more expensive than US.

Moving for one year sounds quite drastic in terms of disrupting young kids lives. You could move to Colombia and look for International School there, or try home-schooling your child for an year ?
Spot on !!!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

jinxi010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gedelzo
Hi all, first timer here.
So let's see how I go. This is the situation.
I and my 9 year old daughter are now living in Australia. My husband is working in Colombia for one year and we are hating the distance. We want to move somewhere in the Caribbeans so we are closer and he can come visit for weekends.
My questions are
how hard is it to fly from Colombia (bogata)
where in the Caribbean would be the easiest and best for family etc.
Schools, this is tough as my daughter is dyslexic and needs support
Visas
Safe

I was leaning towards Barbados or St Lucia?? We were hoping to go yesturday!

Any advise at this stage would be good.

Gedelzo

The route I would suggest is Columbia to Venezuela to Trinidad. Very easy.
On another note Brazil GOL airlines just started flying to Barbados directly-6 hour flight (!) which I think is great.

The southernmost Caribbean country is Guyana, it's basically South American.

There's Trinidad, Barbados also. I know for a fact Barbados has schools that could accomodate your child.

Visas, will be an issue unless you have some kind of Caribbean parentage, work permit, or a business.

Safety I can only speak to Barbados-safest place I have ever lived.