Where can we live?

Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Megbel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where can we live?

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
There's a reason why it's easy to go to Montserrat at the moment, remember that more than half of the island is off limits following their volcano, and they lost to a lot of the best resources in that event.

Never liked antigua much myself, too dry and not enough good local resouces, but to each their own. So long as you stay a year and commit nothing financially in that period you should know at the end.

Suggest you find copies of 2 out of print oldish books, how to live in the caribbean and how to retire in the caribbean, both very informative. Living on an island is VERY different to visiting it, beware of holiday syndrome, the needs and likes become quite different over time.
Thanks for the the book tip, UK Grenada. I appreciate it. Yes, I agree to the VERY different aspect of hols VS living. We did almost 6 weeks in Antigua this past Summer to get a better feel. We are fortunate to have been able to do that.
Yes, we have been to Montserrat many times over the last 10 years and are aware of all its issues. Things are slowly changing and improving.

I am a huge fan of Grenada. My father took me there in the 1980s and we've been going back ever since. We were last there for a month in December 2015. I see all the amazing things going on. Natural resources ( chocolate!!!!) are for sure better than Antigua, but as I said the school for our youngest ( 13) is the biggest draw, and we have friends who have been on the island since the 1950s. They were born there, so it's not as if we don't have real connections set up. I am just on here looking for other people who might share their personal experiences. Perhaps you might know about schools on Grenada that expats and locals both attend? The ability to find good long term rentals? If people eventually might be able to bring their pets over if doing the extended tourist visa thing?

That's exactly our plan. To go for a year. To rent. To enrol her in school, if we can, if not she can do online schooling ( which we've done before when we've be on tour with my H) and we can take a view from there.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
Megbel - have you considered Nevis ?- which I prefer to St Kitts or Antigua. It has a passport plan etc so you would probably get in there. It is quite small though. You can see Montserrat from Nevis. Have you been to Montserrat? I did not like it even before the volcano erupted! Barbados is quite different of course. St Martin is up market. Both Nevis and St Martin have scary landing strips! All the islands are different. Good luck with your search.
Thank you Sabi Star! I have never been to Nevis, although it's on my list. I did spend time in St kitts and I wasn't bowled over. I get that many people don't like Monsterrat. There's not a lot on offer. The beaches are black and there are few. It's very much going back in time. My H is a fan. He loves it there. I do like St Martin but it's very built up and busy. I think it has a lot of what we are after ( schools, lifestyle, diversity) but I've never spend more than a few days there. Usually on our way to Statia. Yes, the landing strip is bananas. I would not rule it out though as the International school is very good. I like the Dutch side best.
Again, thank you for reaching out.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:47 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Schools here in Grenada on something I ever needed/researched myself but there are plenty of grenadians who send kids back here from the uk and usa to be educated, I understand there are a number of good private schools which don't cost very much e.g. McDonald college or the gbss boys school. Finding a rental property is relatively easy but I don't know whether it's expensive or cheap compared with other places, some areas are definitely expensive because of the large number of US students at the medical University here. Just look online at realtors like Terra, Altman and others.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for this great information.
I'm going to research the schools in Grenada tomorrow, and make some calls on Monday.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:04 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

If I can make one suggestion -

You mentioned your husband is a US PR. If there is any chance that you might want one day to return to the US, I would recommend he applies for US citizenship if eligible (3 years marriage or 5 years residency). Given the fact that we are entering quite an uncertain time in terms of immigration with this new president, citizenship will firm that up for him and allow an easy return should you choose.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ScousePete
If I can make one suggestion -

You mentioned your husband is a US PR. If there is any chance that you might want one day to return to the US, I would recommend he applies for US citizenship if eligible (3 years marriage or 5 years residency). Given the fact that we are entering quite an uncertain time in terms of immigration with this new president, citizenship will firm that up for him and allow an easy return should you choose.
ScousePete! Yes, brilliant advice. We were just talking about this. We have been married for 19 years and he's been in the US for 9, so it's a good idea to cover all bases. Thank you!
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megbel
Wow! That's almost offensive and actually rather rude. You know nothing about my family or I, so instead of making a query, you'd rather just jump in there and assume and judge. Just the kind of people we need on this planet. FYI-There is a fantastic IBL school in Antigua, that's why I prefer it first and foremost.
The US and the UK are a mess and .....
And you think most countries in the Caribbean are better?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And you think most countries in the Caribbean are better?
Yes- For my family and for what we are looking for in life, it just might be. We are fortunately able and willing to look elsewhere. Aren't we lucky to have a choice?
Better? Maybe. Different? Yes.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes- For my family and for what we are looking for in life, it just might be. ....
Violent crime, drug use and smuggling, poverty, and political corruption on a scale much greater than in the UK and USA?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Violent crime, drug use and smuggling, poverty, and political corruption on a scale much greater than in the UK and USA?
Shouldn't you be watching Top Gear reruns?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:44 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of a generalisation. I wouldnt want to live in many parts of the us, some parts of the uk, definitely not the dom rep, haiti, southern st lucia, and parts of jamaica and trinidad.

For a truly quiet and safe life i choose here, but there are other places...
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
A bit of a generalisation. I wouldnt want to live in many parts of the us, some parts of the uk, definitely not the dom rep, haiti, southern st lucia, and parts of jamaica and trinidad.

For a truly quiet and safe life i choose here, but there are other places...
But that's kinda my point - it's easy to say "where I live is bad", but the answer might be somewhere else in the same country, not necessarily the dislocation of moving to another country.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That's almost offensive and actually rather rude. You know nothing about my family or I, so instead of making a query, you'd rather just jump in there and assume and judge. Just the kind of people we need on this planet. FYI-There is a fantastic IBL school in Antigua, that's why I prefer it first and foremost.
The US and The UK are a mess and I don't have to live in either. LUCKY ME!!!! You are not in my situation. Yes, I actually have lived in both countries, so it's my families experiences and opinions that matter to me.
"If all our income is offshore why does it matter?" Oh, maybe because we actually care about our quality of life and our children's so we choose to look farther afield rather than sit around and complain and do nothing like most seem to do. Imagine that? Looking for an alternative?

Sorry, but I did not mean any offence ! Some people just dont like having their ideas questioned, but then later wished they had questioned them themselves. I didnt make any assumptions about your family, but finding a school to send your child to, particularly at 13, is not all I was thinking about. I was thinking about the childs out of school life and long term when islanders have to send their offspring to a university in another country with its consequences. Enjoy your vacation!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

I know it's easy to get carried away in minutia, but I did not find any budget ( monthly) and any health requirements ?