Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Whats the safest place to bring a family in the carribean?

Whats the safest place to bring a family in the carribean?

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future
Default Whats the safest place to bring a family in the carribean?

Ok-experts
1.I want buy a hoilday home-now it needs to be fairly cheap-any ideas there?

2. BUT it has to be SAFE for a family!

So what do people think?-I am NOT impressed so far as I heard about a shooting in ST Lucia even though Rodney Bay looks great! I dont know about prices though-nothing to fancy but good.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:43 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the safest place to bring a family in the carribean?

Originally Posted by Both Worlds
Ok-experts

So what do people think?-I am NOT impressed so far as I heard about a shooting in ST Lucia even though Rodney Bay looks great! I dont know about prices though-nothing to fancy but good.
Where do you live now, and is it totally crime free ?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:13 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok-experts

errrrr - A shooting in St Lucia??!!

if thats going to put you of living on an island then I can say with almost certainty that you wont live on any of the islands. Of course theres crime on all of them. Burgalr bars too (mainly because house alarms are way too expensive and bars anre cheaper - plus it allows you to open your windows at night and day safely and get a breeze)

islands for you to avoid (you seem quite concerned) - Jamaica, Haiti, Dom Rep, Trinidad.

if you hear of one shooting and thats it, you're not impressed - I'd go live in Greenland - I've heard theres no shootings there

Remember these are islands with hundreds of thousands of residents .... OF COURSE THERES CRIME!

house prices - look at www.cariblist.com, other than that you'd need to contact places on the islands themselves if you're looking somehwere smaller like anguilla, st Kitts etc.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandmom
errrrr - A shooting in St Lucia??!!

if thats going to put you of living on an island then I can say with almost certainty that you wont live on any of the islands. Of course theres crime on all of them. Burgalr bars too (mainly because house alarms are way too expensive and bars anre cheaper - plus it allows you to open your windows at night and day safely and get a breeze)

islands for you to avoid (you seem quite concerned) - Jamaica, Haiti, Dom Rep, Trinidad.

if you hear of one shooting and thats it, you're not impressed - I'd go live in Greenland - I've heard theres no shootings there

Remember these are islands with hundreds of thousands of residents .... OF COURSE THERES CRIME!

house prices - look at www.cariblist.com, other than that you'd need to contact places on the islands themselves if you're looking somehwere smaller like anguilla, st Kitts etc.
WELL, calm down dear....

I see, so u just accept fortuitous violence then as normal! NO, its not alright-I have a family and its up to me to protect them and keep them safe-I will stay in England with the miserable weather-at least I dont see a shooting at the local Tesco.

I thought, so burgular bars! Yes they did say that on "Place in the sun"-and the comment was ignored! I think I'd rather be alive in Greenland than shot dead in St.Lucia!!!

It looks so beautiful but just like Russell Island in Queensland Australia we dont feel safe there either-
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
Where do you live now, and is it totally crime free ?
It depends what u mean by crime-I think shooting people is pretty serious-in Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire I didn't here of any directly-also I have lived on the canal and I witnessed no shootings there either-
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:54 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what u mean by crime-I think shooting people is pretty serious-in Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire I didn't here of any directly-also I have lived on the canal and I witnessed no shootings there either-
Well congrats on living in Utopia, though your press seems to say otherwise

''
Police routinely issue firearms

Bedfordshire at top of gun league

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryBy Steve Sims
TINY Bedfordshire has come sixth in a national table revealing how frequently police authorise the use of firearms.
Home Office statistics have surprisingly put the county near the top of the rankings out of 43 England and Wales forces, with 684 armed operations taking place in 2006-07.

But while the number of incidents are high, the figures reveal that Beds had only 57 firearms officers at its disposal during that period, with only five other forces having fewer.

Beds Police, however, say its lofty position in the table is due, in part, to the fact that it deploys armed officers to the type of incidents other forces may choose not to.

Deputy Chief Constable, Martin Stuart, said: "Firearms are issued where it is believed staff will need to protect themselves or the public from someone who has a firearm or presents a danger through other means.

"This often includes reports of knife carrying. It is presumed from the national data that some forces may not deploy their firearms teams to such incidents. We do, and will continue to do so, due to our clear responsibility to protect the public of Bedfordshire and our staff."

Mr Stuart said: "The reality is that our firearms officers are deployed to some two or three incidents a day, mostly knife related and resolve them swiftly and safely.

"We also provide a permanent armed capability at Luton Airport, a responsibility not carried by other forces of our size."

He added: "The force has really focused on the reduction of violent crime, gun crime and a culture of knife carrying amongst young people.

Sorry to burst your bubble !!!!
Why not just stay where you are and keep on watching place in the sun.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Well congrats on living in Utopia, though your press seems to say otherwise

''
Police routinely issue firearms

Bedfordshire at top of gun league

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryBy Steve Sims
TINY Bedfordshire has come sixth in a national table revealing how frequently police authorise the use of firearms.
Home Office statistics have surprisingly put the county near the top of the rankings out of 43 England and Wales forces, with 684 armed operations taking place in 2006-07.

But while the number of incidents are high, the figures reveal that Beds had only 57 firearms officers at its disposal during that period, with only five other forces having fewer.

Beds Police, however, say its lofty position in the table is due, in part, to the fact that it deploys armed officers to the type of incidents other forces may choose not to.

Deputy Chief Constable, Martin Stuart, said: "Firearms are issued where it is believed staff will need to protect themselves or the public from someone who has a firearm or presents a danger through other means.

"This often includes reports of knife carrying. It is presumed from the national data that some forces may not deploy their firearms teams to such incidents. We do, and will continue to do so, due to our clear responsibility to protect the public of Bedfordshire and our staff."

Mr Stuart said: "The reality is that our firearms officers are deployed to some two or three incidents a day, mostly knife related and resolve them swiftly and safely.

"We also provide a permanent armed capability at Luton Airport, a responsibility not carried by other forces of our size."

He added: "The force has really focused on the reduction of violent crime, gun crime and a culture of knife carrying amongst young people.

Sorry to burst your bubble !!!!
Why not just stay where you are and keep on watching place in the sun.
Very smart smartarse-I said LEIGHTON BUZZARD NOT LUTON-I didn't see any shootings in LB... I didn't say there was no crime -what a moron very clever-Its was not IN MY FACE-and for your information I am in Australia at the moment-oh yes have u got any stats on the canal in Brinklow as I have lived there too-a lovely village something I am sure u get where u are-where people are actually kind and talk to u not shoot u or swear at u-

Try this:

Founds this STRAIGHT AWAY:

CASTRIES, St. Lucia: St. Lucia Prime Minister Dr. Kenny Anthony has expressed shock and dismay over the shooting death of Ms. Jane Tipson, a founding member of the Saint Lucia Animal Protection Society.

Police reports indicate that Ms. Tipson was shot at 1.20 a.m., on her way to her home in Monchy yesterday morning.

Ms. Tipson, a Briton, reportedly fought passionately to secure better, more compassionate treatment of animals, a government statement said.

"Through SLAPS, her regular columns in the newspapers, and her work with volunteer veterinarians in addressing the problems of stray cats and dogs, Ms. Tipson worked assiduously to ensure a better understanding among the local populace of the myriad issues related to animal rights and welfare," read the statement.

She also played an important role in shaping the Animals Act that was recently passed in Parliament.

Prime Minister Anthony says took the opportunity to reiterate the government's resolve and commitment to curbing crime on the island.

Last night, friends remembered her as a great person.

AP quoted Mr. Chris Hackshaw, president of the island's Whale Watching Association, as saying, "This is the biggest shock. I can't think of any reason why anybody would want to hurt Jane, she doesn't do anything but look after animals. I don't know if its a robbery or what but I can't imagine a motive."

Mr. Erich Hoyte, senior research associate with the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society in the UK, said he had spoken to and e-mailed Ms. Tipson frequently."She was a very great and dedicated conservationist," he said. "She did a lot for local wildlife on St Lucia and in the Caribbean. Jane was always so helpful and friendly. It's a great loss to her family and the people who worked with her." Ms. Tipson, 53, was shot once in the chest. Police up to last night had not yet discovered a motive for the attack, which took place as she was driving her car on a private road leading to her house.There have been 22 killings on St Lucia this year. Police have blamed much of the violence on drug-related gangs.

Well not as bad as Bedfordshire uhh right sure-sounds pretty bad to me!!!

Work it out per head of population before slagging other places-look at your own... Put a search in google(total killings.....) found 4 articles on the first page!! on murders
in St Lucia and with Bedfordshire one-(and he was from Gambia)-gee I wonder why that is then? 33 murders since January-sounds a very safe place does it-sleep well at night do we-

News: 33 murders in St Lucia since January
Monday, October 10, 2005 - 07:01 PM Printer-friendly page
St. Lucia

CASTRIES, St Lucia (AP) - Two more slayings have put this small island nation on track to break last year's record number of homicides, officials said Tuesday.
The shootings, which authorities suspect were drug-related, brought the number of homicides this year to 33 - just four short of the total for all of last year, police said.

"This is a worrying trend, because it indicates that the young are resorting to violence to settle differences," police spokesman Modestus Louis said.

St Lucia recorded less than 10 homicides a year until 1998. The figures have been steadily rising each year in this former British colony of 162,000 people.

Police blame much of the violence on drug trafficking. A US State Department report this year called St Lucia a "well-used transshipment site for cocaine from South America" that is smuggled to the United States and Europe.

Great place to bring up a family-gee is your bubble feeling abit inflated I mean deflated probably been shot?

and why dont stay where u are in your utopia and fry in the sun...........cheek
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:52 pm

Both Worlds Lieghton Buzzard is in Bedfordshire and this is where the report relates to.

Why the desperation to slander St Lucia by quoting some old obscure news headlines. Kenny Anthony has not been the prime minister for some time now.

I remember a british animal rights activist being murdered some time back but the purpetrators were found to be her white british tenants !!!

The year has jus started and I have just come back from the island, i can recall no incidents of murder so far.

Please do us all a favour and stay in Australia !!!
Envy is a wicked thing I suggest you stay away from it.

The majority of St Lucians are happy go lucky fun loving people, please do not come and spoil the balance.

If you are not happy in Australia, there is a section about returning to Britain, maybe you will find more suitable company there. You seem a clearly unhappy individual and only you can answer why ?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:00 pm

and why dont stay where u are in your utopia and fry in the sun...........cheek
I will be glad to live on this lush beautiful island, voted one of the most stunningly beautiful islands in the world. Oh and I hope you will be just as happy by the canal in Leighton Buzzard. I say each to his own. Your paradise may be my hell and my paradise may be your hell !!! Lets just keep to our own paradises.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Both Worlds Lieghton Buzzard is in Bedfordshire and this is where the report relates to.

Why the desperation to slander St Lucia by quoting some old obscure news headlines. Kenny Anthony has not been the prime minister for some time now.

I remember a british animal rights activist being murdered some time back but the purpetrators were found to be her white british tenants !!!

The year has jus started and I have just come back from the island, i can recall no incidents of murder so far.

Please do us all a favour and stay in Australia !!!
Envy is a wicked thing I suggest you stay away from it.

The majority of St Lucians are happy go lucky fun loving people, please do not come and spoil the balance.

If you are not happy in Australia, there is a section about returning to Britain, maybe you will find more suitable company there. You seem a clearly unhappy individual and only you can answer why ?
Yes its reported by the Leighton Observer but it DOES NOT SAY it relates to LEIGHTON BUZZARD itself and thats what I know-u know and I know its Luton-it even mentions Luton Airport-I should know I live there. I am telling u its a nice place-not full of complete excitement but it is safe-NO SHOOTINGS-u get??-Maybe I should look next time to see if there anyone staggering from a gunshot wound in the High Street-

quoting some old obscure news headlines.-I see so this is old news and now u dont have more shootings or the drug gangs-Oh I am glad we got that cleared up-maybe it is safe after all??

Envy is a wicked thing I suggest you stay away from it. yeah right whatever u say-yeah I am really jealous of ?
Yep I'll stay away alright, right away from violence. Glad your not in the UK either I would HATE TO RUIN THE COUNTRYSIDE.

Australia has nothing to do with this discussion u have to convince me that St Lucia is safe fro a family-u have not-You seem a clearly unhappy individual and only you can answer why ? Where do u get this from-u are the one who quoted -I was just innocently asking is this island safe to bring a family-if u have a family u would know how important it is-u say St Lucian are happy go lucky-but u are clearly-u have to be disgruntled english who hates the UK-blah blah heard it all before...do u really hate it that much?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

I will be glad to live on this lush beautiful island, voted one of the most stunningly beautiful islands in the world. Oh and I hope you will be just as happy by the canal in Leighton Buzzard. I say each to his own. Your paradise may be my hell and my paradise may be your hell !!! Lets just keep to our own paradises.
What do u mean?
Granted St Lucia looks stunning-I have never been so I cant judge that-I am a global citizen-The whole worlds out there-I cant see why the canal system is your "hell"-but I dont think ST Lucia is hell at all-It could be quite nice but if I was on my own I wouldn't care about the shootings/crime etc BUT I HAVE TO CONSIDER MY FAMILY-my daughter and I want her to be safe-do u see what I mean?-I am sure the people from St Lucia are wonderful but I am concerned as a parent. Now it wouldn't be permanent-this is interesting-if u are that supportive of the island maybe it would be alright? I couldn't leave England again for too long but I could miss the awful winter(I have to admit for all its good points the weather is appalling)

So I say again do u think it would be alright? Maybe for a holiday home only at
this stage-if its as good as u say u never know it could be permanent!!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:12 pm

What do u mean?
Granted St Lucia looks stunning-I have never been so I cant judge that-I am a global citizen-The whole worlds out there-I cant see why the canal system is your "hell"-but I dont think ST Lucia is hell at all-It could be quite nice but if I was on my own I wouldn't care about the shootings/crime etc BUT I HAVE TO CONSIDER MY FAMILY-my daughter and I want her to be safe-do u see what I mean?-I am sure the people from St Lucia are wonderful but I am concerned as a parent. Now it wouldn't be permanent-this is interesting-if u are that supportive of the island maybe it would be alright? I couldn't leave England again for too long but I could miss the awful winter(I have to admit for all its good points the weather is appalling)

Both Worlds, there are plenty of people who live in St Lucia who have children. I have children myself and their well being is of the utmost importance to me.

St Lucia, has 160,000+ permanent residents and there was about 1\2 million visitors last year and I think I can quite safely say that the vast majority of people had no encounter with crime. St Lucia like anywhere else in the world has its pockets of less desirable areas, and these are to be avoided, especially after dark, however the chances of you finding yourself there would be very remote indeed. Normal common sense such as not flashing the cash about and boasting excessive jewellry, as well as not just accepting lifts from complete strangers seems to serve most well.

The expat population on the island is growing steadily, there must be a good reason for this. I drive all over the island and have never felt threatend even through some of those undesirable areas I mentioned earlier.

Most of the expats are located in the North of the island around the Cap Estate to Rodney bay stretch, but bear in mind this is now becoming quite expensive as the word gets out and more and more people choose to buy on the island.

Best bet is to make a visit and get a feel for the island.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:00 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

What do u mean?

oh for goodness sake - there are hundreds, thousands of expats in St Lucia with their kids, all of whom are concerned with their childrens safety as am I. I dont consider St Lucia a dangerous place to bring them up, of course there are pockets of places I dont want to go to as with every place in the world.

as I said before If you're this worried and obviously nervous about the "safety and Crime" issue in St Lucia you won't like ANY of the islands. I wouldnt say I'm the one who needs to calm down ....

Hi PGTips - nice to see you matey
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds, there are plenty of people who live in St Lucia who have children. I have children myself and their well being is of the utmost importance to me.

St Lucia, has 160,000+ permanent residents and there was about 1\2 million visitors last year and I think I can quite safely say that the vast majority of people had no encounter with crime. St Lucia like anywhere else in the world has its pockets of less desirable areas, and these are to be avoided, especially after dark, however the chances of you finding yourself there would be very remote indeed. Normal common sense such as not flashing the cash about and boasting excessive jewellry, as well as not just accepting lifts from complete strangers seems to serve most well.

The expat population on the island is growing steadily, there must be a good reason for this. I drive all over the island and have never felt threatend even through some of those undesirable areas I mentioned earlier.

Most of the expats are located in the North of the island around the Cap Estate to Rodney bay stretch, but bear in mind this is now becoming quite expensive as the word gets out and more and more people choose to buy on the island.

Best bet is to make a visit and get a feel for the island.
OK-it sounds good-I drive all over the island and have never felt threatend Thats exactly what I wanted to here, at last. I feel alot better now-What are the undesirable areas? If I know that I wont make a mistake(again)I might reconsider as property seems quite reasonable-In your opinion what budget range should I consider? I dont want to be that fancy-a humble dwelling-maybe 3 beds-maybe we could rent out the rest of the time or is there an over supply of rented holiday homes? At this stage it would be short stays maybe 1 month to 3 months-can we stay that long? I did read u do need a visa?

Whats Rodney Bay like?-It look amazing!

what about midges/mosquitoes?

I know that seems a strange question but on Russell Island we cant go outside because of the swarms of insects biting and causing welts-(its really bad 9 months of the year)-its just we wanted an outdoor lifestyle but we are indoors again! I think its spring were u are? What I have seen its not that hot January to March is that right? However, do u find its TOO HOT? Where do u think its good on the island but not yet expensive-what prices are we looking at? Someone has contacted me about this already and I will also have a look........Thanks for your input
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I live in St Lucia with my 3 year old. Yes there is crime, but we dont see it.
The odd shooting but this is usually in the "rough areas" and it is between gangs and people that know each other and have some dispute etc.

Just wanted to put in my two pennyworth, St Lucia is a great place to live - I have nothing but praise for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.