Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

What to bring to Bermuda?

What to bring to Bermuda?

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

LostScouser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to bring to Bermuda?

Hi, could anyone living in Bermuda recommend what to bring with them to make life a bit easier / cheaper there? We have 2 x 3 year olds.
Many thanks
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

aratan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to bring to Bermuda?

Do not bring anything electrical (with small exceptions, like iPads) as the power system is the US one (two pin, different voltage), not the UK one. And bedding - US beds and UK beds are different sizes (a US queen is a UK king, but even then, not exactly)

In terms of making life "a bit cheaper/easier", there really isn't that much that I can categorically state you must bring. You can get everything you need here on the island. There is a healthy second-hand market in most things, and decent homestores and department stores.

How long are you coming for and is your new employer paying to bring your stuff out for you? (I mean above and beyond your luggage allowance!)

With two little ones, I would recommend bring enough "stuff" for the first week to ten days on the island, to keep you supplied while you get your bearings and get used to the island.

If you have specific questions, then post here and I will try to answer them. I am in Bermuda and have lived here for quite some time.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

LostScouser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Aratan, sorry for delay in replying. There's nothing that I am really concerned about but you only get the opportunity to fill a container once so I was just wondering if there was anything that other expats really kick themselves for not bringing with them or find very expensive there.
Is there anything that expats tend to load up on when they go off island?
Thanks and kind regards
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

aratan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LostScouser
Thanks Aratan, sorry for delay in replying. There's nothing that I am really concerned about but you only get the opportunity to fill a container once so I was just wondering if there was anything that other expats really kick themselves for not bringing with them or find very expensive there.
Is there anything that expats tend to load up on when they go off island?
Thanks and kind regards
Ok, knowing that you have a container to fill, it is easier to talk about.

DO NOT bring anything that is going to be destroyed by humidity/damp/mould. I've had friends that have had to chuck out expensive leatehr jackets because the jacket has been ruined by mould, which thrives in the humid conditions here. This can be avoided by having decent air-con in your house (running of which is expensive) or storing such things in your place of work (offices usually air-conditioned all the time).

Groceries - the supermarkets here source most foodstuffs from the US, although there is one store that brings in a limited amount of Waitrose stuff (plus there is an M+S, but it only carries packaged goods, nothing fresh). So if there is anything particularly 'British' that you cannot live without, then throw some of it in your container.

Admittedly I am struggling to think of anything which I stock up on when I am back in the UK.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived there for several years. I arrived with a suitcase and left with one. Whilst there I brought everything that I needed and sold it before I left. I can honestly say that I never felt the need to have anything sent over from the UK.
You will enjoy your time there, it's a great place. Just about everywhere is beautiful.