British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/visas-895994/)

DandNHill Apr 26th 2017 11:37 pm

Visas

I'm going to prove my lack of knowledge here...

Hubby and I have about 12/15 years to retirement.

Hubby has the advantage of being able to find jobs in various industries and we have been talking for a while about spending the last few years of our working lives somewhere like the Caribbean.

But I'm confused as to how all these islands work. Does each have its one immigration requirements?

Sorry if this sounds like a very silly question.

uk_grenada Apr 27th 2017 10:24 am

Re: Visas

They are all different countries and they all have widely differing requirements. Almost all will not allow you to work locally unless you purchase or otherwise obtain citizenship. The cost of buying it - a few islands will allow it for an authorised investment of about 350k us per person, a few for a million, many by invitation, billionaires only ...

Retiring and not working is different, easier in some countries and cheaper but the actual mechanisms differ a lot. You should decide where you want to go and live there for at least a year as a visitor before committing. Objective advice isnt easy, there used to be 2 good books but they are out of print now and local rules/laws change, mostly more restrictive...

DandNHill Apr 27th 2017 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12239538)
They are all different countries and they all have widely differing requirements. Almost all will not allow you to work locally unless you purchase or otherwise obtain citizenship. The cost of buying it - a few islands will allow it for an authorised investment of about 350k us per person, a few for a million, many by invitation, billionaires only ...

Retiring and not working is different, easier in some countries and cheaper but the actual mechanisms differ a lot. You should decide where you want to go and live there for at least a year as a visitor before committing. Objective advice isnt easy, there used to be 2 good books but they are out of print now and local rules/laws change, mostly more restrictive...

How disappointing. But I've seen jobs advertised where it says the employer arranges the visa. Now I'm confused.

uk_grenada Apr 27th 2017 1:17 pm

Yes, a working temporary visa exists in many countries, sometimes you pay for it [can be quite a lot] sometimes the employer, it isnt something you can apply for but an employer can, normally only for specific roles the countries wants, possibly medics or finance experts in some places like grand cayman. The employer cant apply till they have a successful candidate and they have normally to prove theres no local who can do the job [by advertising locally or similar.]. Apply if you think you see something good/applicable.

DandNHill Apr 27th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12239713)
Yes, a working temporary visa exists in many countries, sometimes you pay for it [can be quite a lot] sometimes the employer, it isnt something you can apply for but an employer can, normally only for specific roles the countries wants, possibly medics or finance experts in some places like grand cayman. The employer cant apply till they have a successful candidate and they have normally to prove theres no local who can do the job [by advertising locally or similar.]. Apply if you think you see something good/applicable.

Ok. That makes sense. We're a few years off yet. But was trying to get an idea. Thanks