British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Turks&Caicos Land Registar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/turks-caicos-land-registar-898666/)

pammy68 Jun 28th 2017 4:54 pm

Turks&Caicos Land Registar

Hi,

Ive gained a plot of land, canal front on Provo as part of my divorce settlement, I contacted a realtor on the island who told me I need to have my husband removed from the land registar record, I did drop them an email as to how to do this but they never got back to me.

Can anyone tell me how to proceed with this, would a letter from a canadian lawyer with my husband signing away any rights be enough to cover any future claims from him on the plot or will I have to try calling the govt in T&C myself?

Many thanks :)

uk_grenada Jun 29th 2017 4:35 pm

Re: Turks&Caicos Land Registar

You will need to talk to a local trustworthy lawyer to understand your position and go through the inevitable legal process, and im sure it isnt as simple as the letter above.

This is all a bit 'worst case...' Be careful, lawyers in some caribbean islands are notoriously dodgy, you need good advice on choosing one for your island...

You are probably also making yourself liable for land taxes annually, and not paying those can get you into trouble / lose the land, and i assume you have the right to own the land, some places you might not if you have no local nationality or might have to pay tax to own the land.

eastofthesun Jun 30th 2017 12:30 am

The Land Registry is in the business of documenting who owns what, and may not be a good place to get legal advice. Neither is this forum. Neither is someone who believes, incorrectly, that TCI has a land tax.

There will be a transfer tax, which TCI calls stamp duty.

You really should hire a TCI lawyer. How you find a trustworthy one is unclear. I only know of several who you should avoid.

uk_grenada Jun 30th 2017 7:27 am

Eastofthesun - i didnt offer legal advice - i just said what you then repeated... And as i said - my info was a bit worst case, glad they have no annual land or property taxes. If you think some lawyers are not very good, you should name them if you know them, it isnt likely to be an issue to say you dont think they are the 'best available', just dont use specifics.

To the original poster - finding a good lawyer - if you know anyone on or from the island well who you trust, their advice on finding a lawyer might be an answer.

eastofthesun Jun 30th 2017 10:14 am

My knowledge is TCI lawyers is insufficient for me to wish to cause damage to anyone's reputation there. But on other islands where I know the lawyers, some of the most personable ones are the least competent. So proceed with care. Choosing a lawyer (or a doctor, dentist, etc.) isn't a personality contest.

pammy68 Jul 2nd 2017 7:33 am

Thanks for the input, decided as you said to contact a lawyer so looked up the one we used to buy the plot and we had a good experience with....Misick and Stanbrook :thumbup:

skip84 Jul 12th 2017 6:08 pm

I work in the financial services in TCI, Griffiths & Partners or Missick & stanbrook in my opinion.