Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

There's no going back now

There's no going back now

Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice
Default Re: There's no going back now

Originally Posted by Scottylad
Glitterycloud
Did your shipping company send you any inventory forms for presentation to customs and do you have to send copies of passports, aliens landholding licence, if applicable etc. as proof you have somewhere to stay? Did you sort out all your problems with the shipping company? I still haven't had a response from mine as they say they are waiting for their St Lucian contacts to come back to them. I got a price for Portsmouth to Castries but they can't give me any indication of the procedures at the other end and that's what I hoped they could tell me. Still we'll be there in under two weeks so will go straight to customs and smile at anyone who looks helpful.
Scotty, Just a quick query for you. How long did it take you to get your Alien Landholding Licence? Ours is with the Attorney Generals office in Draft format awaiting approval after having been approved by the Planning Dept. Seems to take for ever this process.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point

We still don't have ours. We sent all the paperwork to our solicitors ages ago and they confirmed it had been received by their contact in St Lucia. Since then I have asked what progress has been made and am still awaiting their response. This is even more complicated than it need be as our original solicitor retired and passed our file to another and we weren't told about this. The new solicitor has been on the case for a few months and now says overseas work is outside of their capabilities so they have passed it to another solicitor with overseas capability. I dread to think where our paperwork has ended up as the solicitor with no overseas capability dealt with it.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

We still don't have ours. We sent all the paperwork to our solicitors ages ago and they confirmed it had been received by their contact in St Lucia. Since then I have asked what progress has been made and am still awaiting their response. This is even more complicated than it need be as our original solicitor retired and passed our file to another and we weren't told about this. The new solicitor has been on the case for a few months and now says overseas work is outside of their capabilities so they have passed it to another solicitor with overseas capability. I dread to think where our paperwork has ended up as the solicitor with no overseas capability dealt with it.
Scottylad if you want to PM me I can give you my details to get in touch for a chat. I can let you have the background to what the process has meant so far for us. I have been lead to believe that we are nearing the end of our process. (Yeah right! Heard that before! )
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Glitterycloud
Did your shipping company send you any inventory forms for presentation to customs and do you have to send copies of passports, aliens landholding licence, if applicable etc. as proof you have somewhere to stay? Did you sort out all your problems with the shipping company? I still haven't had a response from mine as they say they are waiting for their St Lucian contacts to come back to them. I got a price for Portsmouth to Castries but they can't give me any indication of the procedures at the other end and that's what I hoped they could tell me. Still we'll be there in under two weeks so will go straight to customs and smile at anyone who looks helpful.
We haven't received any forms yet they are in the post to us, I will let you know what they are when we receive them.
As for the procedure at Castries I am not 100% sure we need to call our family over there to tell us what the procedure will be. Our container will be arriving on 9th April and we don't get there till 16th so it will probably wait in the storage area until we arrive to clear it.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by A_Zimbo
Scottylad if you want to PM me I can give you my details to get in touch for a chat. I can let you have the background to what the process has meant so far for us. I have been lead to believe that we are nearing the end of our process. (Yeah right! Heard that before! )
Hi A_Zimbo
Thanks for that and I will send a PM when I get a response from my new solicitor as I'll then know what stage we have reached for comparison. My main concern now is who has all the money I've paid to cover the St Lucian solicitor's fees and the Aliens Landholding Licence payments as this was sent to the solicitor who retired. I have asked the expiring inexperienced solicitor and the new one to send me a full audit trail of my payments so I can check. Just as well I keep my own records.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi A_Zimbo
Thanks for that and I will send a PM when I get a response from my new solicitor as I'll then know what stage we have reached for comparison. My main concern now is who has all the money I've paid to cover the St Lucian solicitor's fees and the Aliens Landholding Licence payments as this was sent to the solicitor who retired. I have asked the expiring inexperienced solicitor and the new one to send me a full audit trail of my payments so I can check. Just as well I keep my own records.
Good job indeed. I don't know whether you have also heard the rumour that apparently there is talk of Alien Landholding Licences being scrapped later this year. Too late for you and I but good news for the market in general.

I'll keep you posted on how ours is going.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Good job indeed. I don't know whether you have also heard the rumour that apparently there is talk of Alien Landholding Licences being scrapped later this year. Too late for you and I but good news for the market in general.

I'll keep you posted on how ours is going.
Hadn't heard that but as with anything else in St Lucia news doesn't travel fast. Where will you be living in St Lucia and when do you expect to move out there? Perhaps we'll get a refund on our fees
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Hadn't heard that but as with anything else in St Lucia news doesn't travel fast. Where will you be living in St Lucia and when do you expect to move out there? Perhaps we'll get a refund on our fees
We'll be in Marigot Bay. I am hoping to move into a rented appartment in May while we oversee the building of the house........well that's the plan
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

I tell you what this relocating malarky is more stressful than I ever thought it would be.:curse:
Having been on the phone with Airpets this morning to check how things are progressing with the arrangements for our dog it is still not sorted out. The flight has been booked for him but Defra and St Lucia's Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries are not agreeing on terms to put on the export licence/certificate. St Lucia is stating that the UK is a Rabies Endemic Country but UK is saying it is not, they are at loggerheads which doesn't help me!!
We are due to fly out in 5 weeks which I hope will be enough time for them to come to a conclusion and issue an export licence, I do not know what will happen if it is not cleared up by the time he is due to go, as it has already been going on for some weeks now. I must say that Airpets have been fantastic.

We are still waiting for the paperwork to come through from the shipping company and I think a phonecall a day will become necessary as we are due the container 2 weeks from today. Please remind me why I am doing all of this!!!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

welderboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all im looking to emigrate to st lucia, im very much in the early stages, ill be going it alone, ive spent many weeks in st lucia, i know a few locals and will have 15k to go with, is this enough?
im a welder by trade but a qualified mechanic and experienced ground worker, are they sufficent trades?
who do i need to contact to start the ball rolling? green cards/ work visa's etc? can i rent or shall i buy a boat/motorhome?

please any help would be appreciated, ive got plans to be there by june 09! am i being too optamistic?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
I tell you what this relocating malarky is more stressful than I ever thought it would be.:curse:
Having been on the phone with Airpets this morning to check how things are progressing with the arrangements for our dog it is still not sorted out. The flight has been booked for him but Defra and St Lucia's Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries are not agreeing on terms to put on the export licence/certificate. St Lucia is stating that the UK is a Rabies Endemic Country but UK is saying it is not, they are at loggerheads which doesn't help me!!
We are due to fly out in 5 weeks which I hope will be enough time for them to come to a conclusion and issue an export licence, I do not know what will happen if it is not cleared up by the time he is due to go, as it has already been going on for some weeks now. I must say that Airpets have been fantastic.

We are still waiting for the paperwork to come through from the shipping company and I think a phonecall a day will become necessary as we are due the container 2 weeks from today. Please remind me why I am doing all of this!!!
What's the latest you found out about Customs Glitter? Any updates? We're supposed to be moving down in May but first of all into a flat while we build the house. (Nope, Alien Landholding Licence still not complete). Latest confusion I have is the same as you have had, Customs.

I want to send the car and a few effects (In the car) down in May but send the rest down about 6 months later. (Or longer if possible). Can't get a straight answer out of anybody about whether you can split the arrival of your goods or not. Don't want to ship everything down there and then the build grids to a halt or we run out of money due to "unforseen circumstances". Cannot afford to ship it all back again if this folly falls apart.

Did you settle on a good broker down there in the end? Any tips you have are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

What's the latest you found out about Customs Glitter? Any updates? We're supposed to be moving down in May but first of all into a flat while we build the house. (Nope, Alien Landholding Licence still not complete). Latest confusion I have is the same as you have had, Customs.

I want to send the car and a few effects (In the car) down in May but send the rest down about 6 months later. (Or longer if possible). Can't get a straight answer out of anybody about whether you can split the arrival of your goods or not. Don't want to ship everything down there and then the build grids to a halt or we run out of money due to "unforseen circumstances". Cannot afford to ship it all back again if this folly falls apart.

Did you settle on a good broker down there in the end? Any tips you have are greatly appreciated.
Hi A_Zimbo,
The container left our house yesterday we took everything and it fitted well we even had space. The process of gaining a shipping broker in SLU is a task we are now starting to look at. I don't have any official answer for you, what type of items are you looking to take over in your car? I take it you are aware of the restrictions when importing a vehicle (environmental tax amount depending on age of car?)
Its a difficult one as Im not sure how it works to split your shipment of household goods. Have you tried calling Customs in SLU direct from here to ask advice? When we called them they were very helpful as we had no knowledge of shipping and customs. I think it is best to go direct to get answers but when my container goes through customs the other end (it arrives 9th April but we dont fly out till 16th so we will get them to store it for us) I will let every one how it went and what to expect, although I am entering St Lucia as a spouse with a returning national not as a British Resident on my own, this may lead to differing answers to what you are after.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: There's no going back now

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Hi A_Zimbo,
The container left our house yesterday we took everything and it fitted well we even had space. The process of gaining a shipping broker in SLU is a task we are now starting to look at. I don't have any official answer for you, what type of items are you looking to take over in your car? I take it you are aware of the restrictions when importing a vehicle (environmental tax amount depending on age of car?)
Its a difficult one as Im not sure how it works to split your shipment of household goods. Have you tried calling Customs in SLU direct from here to ask advice? When we called them they were very helpful as we had no knowledge of shipping and customs. I think it is best to go direct to get answers but when my container goes through customs the other end (it arrives 9th April but we dont fly out till 16th so we will get them to store it for us) I will let every one how it went and what to expect, although I am entering St Lucia as a spouse with a returning national not as a British Resident on my own, this may lead to differing answers to what you are after.
Yup I know we'll cop for about 127% Duty and taxes etc. But beats paying through the nose for a tired Vitara.

Look forward to hearing your report after you get there. I'm going to call customs as well tomorrow.

Regards
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi A_Zimbo
Sorry not to have been in contact recently but just back from 2 weeks in St Lucia. Seems our Aliens Licence has been held up as the developer hadn't allocated parcel numbers for the plots (But this won't be your problem) so nobody on our estate will have it sorted yet. However construction has been delayed even further so no rush for us. I'm still awaiting word from our solicitor and have had to resort to threatening a complaint to the Law Society. Will update when reply received.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Hi A_Zimbo
Sorry not to have been in contact recently but just back from 2 weeks in St Lucia. Seems our Aliens Licence has been held up as the developer hadn't allocated parcel numbers for the plots (But this won't be your problem) so nobody on our estate will have it sorted yet. However construction has been delayed even further so no rush for us. I'm still awaiting word from our solicitor and have had to resort to threatening a complaint to the Law Society. Will update when reply received.
My wife and I are on our way out end of May. We've not got the ALHL sorted yet but we are fairly confident that it will be sorted by the time we get there. I agree with your strategy of keeping the pressure up there Scotty. If the rumours of the need for a licence being scrapped later this year prove true you might find that happens before your lawyer gets the situation back under control it won't be needed anyway! Will keep you posted about how ours goes. And will post updates after arriving in SL in May.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.