Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten Immigration Procedures

Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten Immigration Procedures

Old Nov 12th 2013, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Warren_Oates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten Immigration Procedures

I'd like to spend a couple of years in Saint-Martin. I know that (as a British citizen) I have 'freedom of movement' there. The problem is that the only airport served by Europe and North America is on the Dutch side, where I don't have 'freedom of movement.' What happens when one arrives at Sint Maarten immigration? I note that Brits get 3 months to stay. Do they stamp one's passport? If I then go to the French side and stay for a year, am I considered to have 'overstayed' on the Dutch side? I also note that there's no 'formalities' when crossing from one side to the other.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten Immigration Procedures

Are you sure ?

http://www.sintmaartengov.org/Govern...alization.aspx
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Am I sure about what? That site only tells me what I'd need to know if I wanted to stay (become a "resident") on the Dutch side -- I'd only be passing through. They must have some way of dealing with that.

Originally Posted by Warren_Oates
Am I sure about what? That site only tells me what I'd need to know if I wanted to stay (become a "resident") on the Dutch side -- I'd only be passing through. They must have some way of dealing with that.
On the other hand, thanks for pointing me at that site Further exploration led me here:

http://www.sintmaartengov.org/Visito...formation.aspx

which tells me that European citizens need "A valid passport and a return/continuing ticket" and I suppose that "continuing" could mean a ticket to the other side of the island. It's only about 10 km from Phillipsburg to Grand Case. The French "formalités" page for Saint-Martin says:
"Entre Saint-Martin et Sint-Maarten
Il n'existe pas de frontière matérialisée entre les territoires français et néerlandais.
La circulation des biens et des personnes est entièrement libre..."

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 15th 2013 at 9:27 pm. Reason: merge
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that St Martin is part of the Schengen Area and hence you can go as a visitor but not reside there.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I don't believe that St Martin is part of the Schengen Area and hence you can go as a visitor but not reside there.
Saint-Martin is a French "collective" (DROM) and is part of the EU, so EU citizens enjoy "freedom of movement," including the right to live and work there; the Dutch side has a different arrangement with the Netherlands and EU citizens don't have the same privileges there.

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Deb-123 will become famous soon enoughDeb-123 will become famous soon enough

Warren - I can't categorically answer your question but on arriving at SXM (the main Dutch side airport) you will have to fill in an Immigration Arrival Card which includes your final destination, address of accommodation & "Intended stay (nights) on St Maarten". My understanding is that if you tick "St Martin" (as opposed to "St Maarten") as your final destination then, as an EU passport holder, you can stay for as long as you wish. They will stamp your passport & you are correct that there is no border control between the French & Dutch sides. Incidentally, I did once travel from the UK arriving at the airport on the French side at Grand Case (code SFG) via Orly to Martinique & then to SFG which meant no passport stamps as I had never left the EU. In fact, there was no passport control at SFG as Martinique to St Martin is a domestic flight.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Deb-123 will become famous soon enoughDeb-123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Deb-123
Warren - I can't categorically answer your question but on arriving at SXM (the main Dutch side airport) you will have to fill in an Immigration Arrival Card which includes your final destination, address of accommodation & "Intended stay (nights) on St Maarten". My understanding is that if you tick "St Martin" (as opposed to "St Maarten") as your final destination then, as an EU passport holder, you can stay for as long as you wish. They will stamp your passport & you are correct that there is no border control between the French & Dutch sides. Incidentally, I did once travel from the UK arriving at the airport on the French side at Grand Case (code SFG) via Orly to Martinique & then to SFG which meant no passport stamps as I had never left the EU. In fact, there was no passport control at SFG as Martinique to St Martin is a domestic flight.
Warren - a footnote to my previous post. I asked an English friend who lives on the French side. He confirmed he put 0 for Intended stay on St Maarten & having a French side St Martin address, has never had a problem coming & going. Hope that helps.