Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Saint Martin entry rules ?

Saint Martin entry rules ?

Old May 17th 2010, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

wannabeinsunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Saint Martin entry rules ?

Hi everyone, i'm a newbie to forums but desperate for some information asap. Any help would be appreciated.

We want to relocate a business we have to Saint Martin. We are a married couple, UK citizens...therefor EU citizens. We have an adopted son who is not an EU citizen and envisage him having to have a visa to enter at least to begin with.

Can anyone confirm Saint Martin is a member of the EU ? and if they know if there is any difference to their rules for entry than any other EU member country.

I phoned the citizens signpost service for the European Commission today and they said the whole island was part of the Netherlands and to contact them ???

I have spent all day trolling the net for information. It appears that Saint Martin ISan EU member but is not party to the schengen treaty....does anyone know how this changes any of our rights as EU citizens.

Has anyone got any first hand experience in what and where to go.

I thought at first : OK, me and my husband are good to go....get son an entry visa from his home country or in something i read was that if we can prove dependency and proof of kinship ( adoption order ) the visa can be given on entry, apply to start business, get a residence permit and just renew his visa till his UK and EU status came through.

any help much appreciated
Old May 17th 2010, 10:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saint Martin entry rules ?

This is a duplicate of your other post isnt it

Just to make it clear is it the French or the Dutch side you are talking about?
Old May 17th 2010, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

yes this is a duplicate....not been on a forum before and wasnt sure if and old thread would get answered on.

It is the French Saint Martin we are wanting to go. Thanks.
Old May 18th 2010, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabeinsunshine
We want to relocate a business we have to Saint Martin. We are a married couple, UK citizens...therefor EU citizens. We have an adopted son who is not an EU citizen and envisage him having to have a visa to enter at least to begin with.
If you are British citizens then why has your adopted son not been registered as a British citizen?
Old May 18th 2010, 8:16 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

yes this is a duplicate....not been on a forum before and wasnt sure if and old thread would get answered on.

It is the French Saint Martin we are wanting to go. Thanks.
The old thread would go straight to the top of the forum if you added another post on it

Well as it's FRENCH Sain Martin, then thats not Dutch antilles
Old May 19th 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are British citizens then why has your adopted son not been registered as a British citizen?
we have needed his pass port for traveling to apply for citizenship, you have to send it off and it would take upto 6 months for it to come through.
Old May 19th 2010, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: Saint Martin entry rules ?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The old thread would go straight to the top of the forum if you added another post on it

Well as it's FRENCH Sain Martin, then thats not Dutch antilles
thanks for the info....soooooo is "French" St Martin an EU member state ? I got an email from some one at Expat Law stating St Maarten ( "Dutch side" ) was not in EU but didnt mention St Martin. I have even been to an immigration advice center today....and they were not sure !
Old May 19th 2010, 3:33 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info....soooooo is "French" St Martin an EU member state ? I got an email from some one at Expat Law stating St Maarten ( "Dutch side" ) was not in EU but didnt mention St Martin. I have even been to an immigration advice center today....and they were not sure !
Well I have a cousin from the Dutch side of St Martin, who has been, living, working and studying in the UK for the past 4 years. This is all part of some EU agreement. Logic would say UK citizens could then go and settle in the Dutch side without any problems, but sometime logic does not always count in small Caribbean islands, and believe me St Martin is small.
Old May 19th 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
Well I have a cousin from the Dutch side of St Martin, who has been, living, working and studying in the UK for the past 4 years. This is all part of some EU agreement. Logic would say UK citizens could then go and settle in the Dutch side without any problems, but sometime logic does not always count in small Caribbean islands, and believe me St Martin is small.
Thank you, yes i know what you mean, someone else said to me rules seem to be made up as they go along and it all depends on who you get on the day. I know there are some agreements with the EU even if they havnt signed up completely....doesnt the Caribbean have their own EU type membership " caricom"?
Old May 19th 2010, 3:45 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

If you are still not sure you meet the necessary entry requirements, call the Immigration Department on St. Maarten. They can be reached through the central Police Department operator at (599) 542-2222

Best get it straight from the horses mouth.
Old May 19th 2010, 3:49 pm

Thank you, yes i know what you mean, someone else said to me rules seem to be made up as they go along and it all depends on who you get on the day. I know there are some agreements with the EU even if they havnt signed up completely....doesnt the Caribbean have their own EU type membership " caricom"?
The EU islands are not in Caricom.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
If you are still not sure you meet the necessary entry requirements, call the Immigration Department on St. Maarten. They can be reached through the central Police Department operator at (599) 542-2222

Best get it straight from the horses mouth.
Thank you, you have been the very best of help.
Old May 28th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Few basics: half the island is still not in the Eurozone. Dutch Ant Guilder is used. The Dutch side with become a country under the Kingdom of Netherlands sometimes this year. It was postponed.

The french side is a Colony. There are more dollar-denominated transactions than Euro. I would suggest that the OP go and spend a couple of months there before deciding to ship out/in.
Old May 28th 2010, 8:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

we have needed his pass port for traveling to apply for citizenship, you have to send it off and it would take upto 6 months for it to come through.
You don't have to send off passport (certified copy will do, alternative use the Nationality Checking Service in the UK) and stand-alone child registrations take closer to 2 months than 6.

And sooner or later you are going to have to do this, unless you plan to let the opportunity lapse at age 18.