Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Retiring to the USVI in 4.5 years...

Retiring to the USVI in 4.5 years...

Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future
Default Retiring to the USVI in 4.5 years...

All:

I'm a Brit, my wife is American. We currently live in Eastern Oregon (I've been here since '94). We plan to retire to St. Thomas, in the U.S. Virgin Islands in a few years. We did a load of research & bought a home there a few years back. Can't wait! Anyone planning or done similar?

Here's the view from our 'deck' in case you need convincing...

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 1:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to the USVI in 4.5 years...

well done & the best of luck to you both, especially with having that Land Rover

Is it safe, what are the property prices like & how do you deal with medical care?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by not2old
well done & the best of luck to you both, especially with having that Land Rover

Is it safe, what are the property prices like & how do you deal with medical care?
Thanks!It's safe if you're smart. Sure, there is a high crime rate- but most of thaat happens in the wrong part of Charlotte Amalie, late at night.

Property prices are quite reasonable. We bought a 2 bed 2 bath concrete home with a 1 bed 1 bath apartment downstairs on a half acre for $485k.

I recon the Defender will be perfect- haul 6 adults, aluminium body, able to climb the steep hills and traverse goat trails to the beach.
Old May 8th 2017, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Stemat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul, I'm also a Brit whose lived on St Thomas since 1985. Be glad to answer any questions although I'm sure you're well familiar with the place!
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

S.K. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. What was your motivation to chose this exact location? I am currently in Anguilla, but debating staying as it is FAR from my home town. Thanks