Pis**d off

Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

nomad416 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pis**d off

Originally Posted by Pammy
...theres tons of gorgeous plants and flowers in T&C, if she is orig from Trinidad would you not consider Tobago?...
TCI does seem to have some decent flora, but what my wife really wants to see is more fruit trees. I'm guessing TCI isn't really known for that kind of flora?

Tobago would be nice seeing as my wife still has her Trini citizenship, but so far it seems to have a few issues for us (please correct me if I'm wrong):

- Real estate costs in Tobago seem a bit high.
- Some of Trinidad's high crime seems to be slowly spreading to Tobago because of it's close proximity.
- There's no direct flights from Toronto to Tobago's airport. Instead, we would also have to take an "air-bridge" from Trinidad that seems a bit inconvenient.

But I'll keep doing some more research on this...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:34 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nomad416
Hi, new Canadian member to britishexpats.com here. (Too bad there doesn't seem to be a Canadian equivalent of this neat site)

My wife (who's originally from Trinidad) and I along with our five-month old son are off to St. Lucia for a week starting this Sunday. We're staying at the Coconut Bay resort and planning to tour the island and research the possibility of getting a little home for us there in the near future. I'm still considering other islands as well for the future, like Antigua and Grenada.

But then after reading this thread on crime in St. Lucia...wow, looks like I have some newsreading to catch up on...and it looks like we gotta be extra careful.

Well, let's hope our time in St. Lucia won't be spoiled by crime.
Nomad, to be honest the vast majority of people who go to St Lucia are not affected by crime, I know many people who live on the island who have never been affected directly, and we have had a family home in Reduit for the past 7 years and have never had a problem touch wood. However I raised this post not to scare people but to make people more aware of an incident which happened to a couple I personally know. Crime throughout the Caribbean region has increased, even in the most unlikeliest of places such as st Martin.
They live off the beaten track in a small local village called Babonneau where you as a tourist are unlikely to venture and I would not recommend you going there.
Do not flash cash about
Do not wear flashy expensive jewellry
Do not accept lifts off strangers just because you are in the Caribbean.
Get your taxi from the licensed taxi rank, don't just jump into any car who says they are a taxi.
Keep off the secluded beaches after dark and try and travel in groups.
Do not leave good unattended in cars or on the beach.

There are parts of Castries I would recommend you avoid, until you really get to know the place.

Get a recommended guide to travel with you if you are going to do an island tour. The first couple of times I did this with a taxi driver who doubled up as a guide for the day. Excellent way of getting to know the island.

It surprises me the amount of people who go to the Caribbean thinking its paradise and just seem to lose all common sense.

If you are going to live in the Craibbean, stick to established ex pat areas where you have a community of neighbours who look out for each other.
Do not go into a local area and build the biggest flashiest house you can and drive the most expensive vehicle you can get your hands on. Some of these people will resent you for this as you are rubbing your wealth in their faces.
Remember a lot of them are on very low wages and when you come out of no where flaunting all your stuff in their faces which they may never be able to afford, jeolousy arises. This is what I think is behind what happened to the couple in Babonneau. Even be careful who you hire to do your gardening or if you have a maid get proper recommendations.

You should be fine on your holiday, I have friends who have just returned from a trip to st lucia, they stayed in Rodney Bay and Cap Estate and had a ball of a time.

Last edited by pgtips; Feb 22nd 2010 at 8:41 am.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Louisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi PG & everyone

I haven't been on this site for ages so thought I'd take a look at what's been happening.

I am astonished to hear about this couple. How awful for them. Are they going to stay on the island?

I know the Babonneau area very well as we have relatives there & spend lots of time there during our visits & I am sad this has happened there. However, it doesn't surprise me as the crime in SLU in on the increase. Just last Dec my brother-in-laws son was stabbed & killed in Babonneau.

It is a pity because the people of Babonneau are lovely & will go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

It does actually make me have second thoughts about moving there but, if I do, I will most certainly be getting a few big dogs.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
Nomad, to be honest the vast majority of people who go to St Lucia are not affected by crime...You should be fine on your holiday...
pgtips: thx very much for the info. It's 3:17pm in the afternoon here on Wednesday in Coconut Bay and it's beautiful as usual (we'be been here since Sunday. Yesterday, we paid extra for a private tour guide to drive us around St. Lucia. Very impressed. No problems whatsoever. Everyone's nice.

Our guide told us about the areas popular with expats -- Rodney Bay, Cap Estates, Marigot Bay -- but what my wife really likes so far are the flat areas around Vieux Fort and Laborie. Not ex-pat areas we know, but perfect for the 'large-scale' gardening that she wants to do.

Oh well, still have until Sunday to see and enjoy more of St. Lucia...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:19 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

pgtips: thx very much for the info. It's 3:17pm in the afternoon here on Wednesday in Coconut Bay and it's beautiful as usual (we'be been here since Sunday. Yesterday, we paid extra for a private tour guide to drive us around St. Lucia. Very impressed. No problems whatsoever. Everyone's nice.

Our guide told us about the areas popular with expats -- Rodney Bay, Cap Estates, Marigot Bay -- but what my wife really likes so far are the flat areas around Vieux Fort and Laborie. Not ex-pat areas we know, but perfect for the 'large-scale' gardening that she wants to do.

Oh well, still have until Sunday to see and enjoy more of St. Lucia...
Excellent idea, having a guide to take you around St lucia, I hope you got lots of pics.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
Excellent idea, having a guide to take you around St lucia, I hope you got lots of pics.
Definitely. It's quite amazing variety of scenery on one island.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely. It's quite amazing variety of scenery on one island.
HI, glad you are having a wonderful time, I am jealous although it is +4today...LOL!

Have a swim and a lobster for me!

Take Care, Pam
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point

"Here I was busy scouring the internet for a flight deal to St Lucia during the summer holidays. Peak time fares or what 800 pounds a seat x 4, well a bit cheaper for the kiddies. Well hey that pissed me off a bit, but not as much as this e mail I recieved recently.

HI everbody,
This is a true stoty. I happen to know the couple personally. The Criminals seem to be targeting returnees from the UK and USA.I just have to be very watchfull and carefull.

Subject: Fwd: Fwd: Kidnapping/Extortion reaches Helen- Big Time.

Sounds so much like Trinidad!! Like its getting contagious. So sorry to hear this."

Sorry to hear this news. St Lucia is so beautiful and the people are generally very friendly. A minority are spoiling the traditional community spirit and closeness that we love and cherish.

I have a theory, I have to say development is good but there must be development throughout the population. Years ago in St Lucia there was employment in agriculture as well as tourism so people with different skills had an opportunity to earn money build their own homes etc and there was probably less unemployment and less resentment.
I read somewhere that where there is wide inequality the crime rate increases which probably explains why the crime rate hasn't increased in Dominica - to the same extent as other islands.
I hope the government will look at improving employment opportunities in diverse areas and not just tourism. Development must benefit everyone.
I'm sorry once again to hear this news I can imagine how hard the couple worked to make their dreams come true and there is no excuse for these crimes.
Peanut Punch
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Peanut Punch
"Here I was busy scouring the internet for a flight deal to St Lucia during the summer holidays. Peak time fares or what 800 pounds a seat x 4, well a bit cheaper for the kiddies. Well hey that pissed me off a bit, but not as much as this e mail I recieved recently.

HI everbody,
This is a true stoty. I happen to know the couple personally. The Criminals seem to be targeting returnees from the UK and USA.I just have to be very watchfull and carefull.

Subject: Fwd: Fwd: Kidnapping/Extortion reaches Helen- Big Time.

Sounds so much like Trinidad!! Like its getting contagious. So sorry to hear this."

Sorry to hear this news. St Lucia is so beautiful and the people are generally very friendly. A minority are spoiling the traditional community spirit and closeness that we love and cherish.

I have a theory, I have to say development is good but there must be development throughout the population. Years ago in St Lucia there was employment in agriculture as well as tourism so people with different skills had an opportunity to earn money build their own homes etc and there was probably less unemployment and less resentment.
I read somewhere that where there is wide inequality the crime rate increases which probably explains why the crime rate hasn't increased in Dominica - to the same extent as other islands.
I hope the government will look at improving employment opportunities in diverse areas and not just tourism. Development must benefit everyone.
I'm sorry once again to hear this news I can imagine how hard the couple worked to make their dreams come true and there is no excuse for these crimes.
Peanut Punch
Well the police and government have said it is their number one priority to rid the island of this low life mentality. Generally with rapid development it takes a long while for the fruits to trickle down to the general population. It's more the case of a few fat cats lining their own pockets and leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

To be honest land prices have sky rocketed in St Lucia, but so have they on many other parts of the world over the last few years leaving some people feeling vunerable and unable to get on the property ladder in their own area. The difference between london and St lucia, who have both experienced rapid prices of goods and commodoties is England has a social welfare program. People who cannot afford housing are given council homes after a period of being on the waiting list. If they are not working their rent is paid and they are given an allowance to survive on. In St Lucia if you have no job and money, you better get use to digging yam !!! Thats presuming you can find some growing on a piece of land which has not been sold off yet

A lot of people live off the land in Dominica, the smart ones anyway !!! They are the most healthiest and live the longest. Dominica and St Lucia are both 'gardens of eden' with such rich fertile soil and can grow enough produce to feed everyone. But they are so blinded by development and keeping up with the west, the very thing which should keep them truely independent they are destroying. Now they have to import food at ridiculously high prices when their own backyard is capable of supplying all their needs.

I wonder who has been brainwashed.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets hope the Government, the police and the community work to sort out these criminals.

I also hope that the Government starts planning to ensure that local people have enough affordable ringfenced land available before it's too late.... possibly through tax policies... anyone else buying land could pay more tax to help with the economy and subsidise the cost of land for locals ... I guess that's much fairer.

The Government should also start taxing the fat cats as they're not going to give up their money easily.

I agree with you people need to go back to gardening for their own use, the wider community and I think hotels should be buying more local produce...which would create a market for the produce grown.

With the recession who knows perhaps things will change.

Anyway that's my manifesto for St Lucia
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Peanut Punch
I agree with you people need to go back to gardening for their own use, the wider community and I think hotels should be buying more local produce...which would create a market for the produce grown.
And when I suggested I was going to do this most people said don't grow too much as people will just steal from you. Great eh!