Moving To St Lucia

Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:04 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To St Lucia

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
Hi pgtips,
life is going fairly well so far thanks, it is very different to life in the UK that is for sure. There is a lot happening here with the redevelopment of the Marina to start in January and lots of new property developments happening all over the island. Do you visit the island regularly?
Not as much as I would like to.
I bought some land in the Rodney Bay area a few years ago which I am going to develop. I have not been on the island for 3 years now, but hopefully will be there early next year. I am familiar with a few of the new developments and have been asked to market some of them across here in the UK.
I predicted a few years back Rodney bay was ripe for development and it seems to be all happening now. I am glad I bought when I did, however building cost have escalated since.

Do you work on the island or are you a lady of leisure ?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
Not as much as I would like to.
I bought some land in the Rodney Bay area a few years ago which I am going to develop. I have not been on the island for 3 years now, but hopefully will be there early next year. I am familiar with a few of the new developments and have been asked to market some of them across here in the UK.
I predicted a few years back Rodney bay was ripe for development and it seems to be all happening now. I am glad I bought when I did, however building cost have escalated since.

Do you work on the island or are you a lady of leisure ?
You got in at the right time as prices are going up and up now. I work in real estate here. Interesting times!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:36 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
You got in at the right time as prices are going up and up now. I work in real estate here. Interesting times!
What are the public schools like in Rodney Bay, I was thinking of putting my son in the new private school, but could do without the additional cost ?

Have you met many other Brits expats ? are you a returnee to the island ?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
What are the public schools like in Rodney Bay, I was thinking of putting my son in the new private school, but could do without the additional cost ?

Have you met many other Brits expats ? are you a returnee to the island ?
sorry, can't help with any advice or info on the schools as don't have children or know anyone with kids here. I haven't met many people yet and have just started to try to get into a social circle or find someone to play sport with. I am from the UK but thought that a couple of years living in paradise might be quite nice!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

salrob16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Islander girl & PGtips

I was also looking for some advice about St Lucia. I'm currently living in the UK with my boyfriend and were looking to move out to St Lucia having thought long and hard about where we wanted to be. I've been looking on the internet for info and can't find anything about Visas etc... to live in St Lucia. Can British nationals just move over there or are there restrictions etc?????

We're planning on selling up, buying a property over there and being mortgage free. I work in sales and was just wondering what employment is like over there? Is it easy to find a job????

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sally
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by salrob16
Hi there Islander girl & PGtips

I was also looking for some advice about St Lucia. I'm currently living in the UK with my boyfriend and were looking to move out to St Lucia having thought long and hard about where we wanted to be. I've been looking on the internet for info and can't find anything about Visas etc... to live in St Lucia. Can British nationals just move over there or are there restrictions etc?????

We're planning on selling up, buying a property over there and being mortgage free. I work in sales and was just wondering what employment is like over there? Is it easy to find a job????

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sally
Hello Sally
you don't need a visa here if you have a work permit, you can stay for 42 days as a tourist. Not sure what the score is if you aren't working but try the British High Commission, they are really helpful if you call them. What type of sales do you have experience in? There is a lot going on within the Island, but the tricky thing is getting a work permit.
If you need some help finding somewhere to live I may be able to help.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

salrob16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I currently work as a Sales Manager for Coca Cola in the Northwest England. Basically I have a team of sales reps and am responsible for Coke sales in Supermarkets in the region. Before that I worked for AIG (big insurance company who sponsor Man U). I've been a sales manager for 4 years and did 4 years as a sales rep selling insurance. I'm in quite a high profile role at the moment with Coca Cola but generally love meeting people and getting out there selling myself! Would love to get into property sales like you too!

By the sounds of it I need to try get a work permit. I will try British Commission, tried them today already and was asked to call back tomorrow! I've been looking for job websites but not had much luck yet! Did you get a job before you moved over there? How did you get your work permit?

We're going to come over there in Feb to look at property so may need some help then!

Sally
Old Nov 13th 2007, 5:13 pm

I currently work as a Sales Manager for Coca Cola in the Northwest England. Basically I have a team of sales reps and am responsible for Coke sales in Supermarkets in the region. Before that I worked for AIG (big insurance company who sponsor Man U). I've been a sales manager for 4 years and did 4 years as a sales rep selling insurance. I'm in quite a high profile role at the moment with Coca Cola but generally love meeting people and getting out there selling myself! Would love to get into property sales like you too!

By the sounds of it I need to try get a work permit. I will try British Commission, tried them today already and was asked to call back tomorrow! I've been looking for job websites but not had much luck yet! Did you get a job before you moved over there? How did you get your work permit?

We're going to come over there in Feb to look at property so may need some help then!

Sally

Hi Sally, St Lucia is indeed a great choice and can be a wonderful place to live if planned properly.

Check out http://www.rodneybay.net there is an expat guide on there now.
Have you considered starting your own business ?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sally
There are a lot of opportunities out here and I will keep my ear to the ground for you. Its worth trying to make contact with some of the big companies out here such as Cable and Wireless or Digicel as they may have an opening for you. I got my job in the UK but the contract was to work out here, setting up the office etc. Let me know when you are coming and we can meet up. You can use my email address if you want to swap info. Its a great place to live and the lifestyle is fab, without being too far from home.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone, ive been to St Lucia 3 times on holiday, well it hasnt really been a holiday as my husband is st lucian and we go out to see his family. We are planning on moving over in 18 mths/2 years time and although I am excited I am also anxious that I will struggle with making friends and getting a job.
I dont own a house in UK so we won't be coming over with lots of money but I want to live near Gros Ilet. Does anyone know if it is easy enough to find employment and are there ex-pat groups I could join?
I currently work for MOD in an admin/secretarial/communications position so I will be looking for that type of work - possibly office manager/supervisor
Any advice would be gratefully receive
Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Hi everyone, ive been to St Lucia 3 times on holiday, well it hasnt really been a holiday as my husband is st lucian and we go out to see his family. We are planning on moving over in 18 mths/2 years time and although I am excited I am also anxious that I will struggle with making friends and getting a job.
I dont own a house in UK so we won't be coming over with lots of money but I want to live near Gros Ilet. Does anyone know if it is easy enough to find employment and are there ex-pat groups I could join?
I currently work for MOD in an admin/secretarial/communications position so I will be looking for that type of work - possibly office manager/supervisor
Any advice would be gratefully receive
Thanks
Hello, I have lived here since July and am enjoying it although it is different from the UK in many many ways. It is easy to make friends and there are plenty of people here from different countries. Jobs are becoming more available due to the amount of new businesses here but may be a struggle still for a non-national. When are you here next?
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Hi thanks for replying, im not sure when we are coming back over prob next year sometime we were only over in Sep/Oct, each time we come over I find it harder and harder to leave so thats a good thing!
I shall not miss the icy mornings we are having here at the moment!! ha ha
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

hello, when you moved over did you transfer your uk belongings? your household goods for example? if so what is the price to send contents of your house over? I have been looking to see what quotes I can get as i have contents for a 2 bedroom house to bring over.
I am looking to rent a place to begin with, I have looked at a few websites but was wondering if it is cheaper there than on websites. I am beginning to plan it now so our move will definately happen.
Thanks Kirstie
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
hello, when you moved over did you transfer your uk belongings? your household goods for example? if so what is the price to send contents of your house over? I have been looking to see what quotes I can get as i have contents for a 2 bedroom house to bring over.
I am looking to rent a place to begin with, I have looked at a few websites but was wondering if it is cheaper there than on websites. I am beginning to plan it now so our move will definately happen.
Thanks Kirstie
Hi, I havent shipped anything over here as I rented out my house and put furniture into storage etc. If you rent in St Lucia it is easy to rent a fully furnished house which will give you time to sort things out. When are you hoping to be out here?