Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

More killings of Britons in Tobago

More killings of Britons in Tobago

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default More killings of Britons in Tobago

A very sad report today of two more Britons killed in Tobago. According to reports, it is thought that the killings happened during the course of a burglary.

Stories such as this should give anyone thinking of retiring to Tobago pause for thought.

"Richard Wheeler, 73, and his 67-year-old wife Grace, who had lived on the idyllic Caribbean island for 16 years, were attacked by an intruder."

"Neighbours said the couple, who had moved to Tobago from Hong Kong, had been robbed seven times in the past, most recently earlier this year."

"Since 2008 there have been seven other cases of expatriates killed during burglaries in Tobago."

British couple hacked to death in island paradise home in Tobago | World | News | Daily Express

Richard and Grace Wheeler found hacked to death at their home in Tobago | Daily Mail Online
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 3:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: More killings of Britons in Tobago

That is horrible and sad.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Island paradise ? Idyllic ? Why do journalists use language like that.My condolences to all touched by this horrible attack.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, I'm very sorry to hear that. Trinidad has always had a reputation for crime, often violent, but Tobago hasn't. Until now, I guess. This incident won't do anything good for the tourism industry.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 7:24 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad, commiserations to anyone involved. One thing that keeps Grenada relatively crime free is the widely held belief that an eye for an eye is a workable solution. Potentially Violent criminals have a lot to fear...
Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Were the victims rich people living in a rich area, or not? Tobago has about the same population as Cayman, and if retirees here started getting chopped up I would expect them to be people with homes worth the trouble of robbing. So I'm wondering if it's the same over there.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 7:54 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

They were certainly wealthy, he was apparently a partner in a legal firm, who moved from somewhere like hong kong and had been robbed 7? Times before according to the uk news. Trinidad is supposed to be risky, i stayed in port of spain once, the hotel had serious security and provided briefings to visitors about how to stay safe. Tobago is of course the weekend home for a lot of trinis. The question i think for your island, is how strong are the police? Not necessarily how pure are they, but do they control things to keep tourism and the government safe, if they do that they will be hard on local crime. Of course on a small island nothings secret for long. It amuses me that in Gda banks are such friendly places, and dont really need security for tellers (guy with a stick i guess) cause if you do snatch a fistfull of dollars, where are you going to run? I asked if they had ever had a robbery, and was told about 20 years ago...
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
... on a small island nothings secret for long. It amuses me that in Gda banks are such friendly places, and dont really need security for tellers (guy with a stick i guess) cause if you do snatch a fistfull of dollars, where are you going to run? I asked if they had ever had a robbery, and was told about 20 years ago...
I've only been on Grenada once - about 20 years ago (no, I wasn't to blame for the robbery!), just for a weekend in St George's - and loved everything about the place. Very relaxed and friendly, and I've always recommended it. Good for you, that you don't have much crime. Cayman (Grand Cayman) is less populous than Grenada, and smaller in area; but we have some serious criminal gangs here. And crony-corruption is a permanent problem. So. All the best to you and your fellow-citizens.