Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Land in Grenada - do I require to build within 2 years???

Land in Grenada - do I require to build within 2 years???

Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Deina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Land in Grenada - do I require to build within 2 years???

I am in the process of buying a small lot of land in Grenada...Is it true you need to build on your land within two years of purchasing???

Can please someone clarify this?

Much appreciated
Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:06 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land in Grenada - do I require to build within 2 years???

No, dont think so, loads of people buy land and leave it, so long as you pay the alien landholding tax when you buy and as long as you pay the annual land tax. If you dont, the govt will seize the land...

There could be some 2 year thing about permission to build on the land only lasting for so long after granting, but again, thats unlikely to be a problem later unless theres something very special about the location.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:08 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

One thing, on Gda, lawyers are sometimes a bit dodgy, you of course meed one for land transactions, make sure yours is reputable.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Land in Grenada - do I require to build within 2 years???

Hello Bob, thank you so much for your valuable reply. I believe I have a reputable lawyer but one never knows...would really appreciate a bit a guidance, <<<snip>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 2nd 2015 at 12:33 pm. Reason: Email address removed
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:39 am

Personally i am very happy to recommend renwick and payne, but there are others im sure that are very good.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Hello Bob, I am already half way through the process - many thanks for all your advise - I went for Afi Ventour at Attorneys at Law - I am very pleased so far - just waiting for the Alien licence to be granted....Looking forward to coming to Grenada in July
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deina
Hello Bob, I am already half way through the process - many thanks for all your advise - I went for Afi Ventour at Attorneys at Law - I am very pleased so far - just waiting for the Alien licence to be granted....Looking forward to coming to Grenada in July
Do plenty of research where the land is (close to standing water/above sea level, windy area/hurricanes) , because a lot of the time you might be buying something you won't be able to use in a few years.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:34 am

Buying land or a house in the caribbean wisely does require knowledge. A wise american wrote 2 books, living in the caribbean and returing in the caribbean which are full of useful info, he planned it for a long time and did a lot of research. The basics are -

House spots must be beyond any possibility of tidal or storm or river surge or exposure to wave spray for protection during hurricanes, so at least 100 feet above normal high tide if close to the sea, and a way away from any river beds.

A further issue is the frequent evening reduction in the dew point leading to damp houses. Easily avoided if you stay a few hundred feet up, and in a breezy location.

Hurricane wind damage is lessened if you avoid exposed locations, and several build features further mitigate it.

In the tropics insect damage is a big issue. Any wood needs to be visible/exposed, and to be insect proof or treated. Tropical plywoods are ok but need maintenance and protection even if "marine grade."

You should avoid aircon, this is quite easy if your house is built to be cool. This means in an open location not in a valley, with an open plan interior, good opening windows, and good insect netting provision.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Egor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
Buying land or a house in the caribbean wisely does require knowledge. A wise american wrote 2 books, living in the caribbean and returing in the caribbean which are full of useful info.
Bob, could you, pls, advise name of books.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 10:13 pm

They are called living in the Caribbean and retiring in the Caribbean
Old Apr 17th 2015, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Egor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank. Do you remember author? who published/year?
Old Apr 17th 2015, 9:14 pm

No but last time I looked Amazon was selling them - but it was ages years back. Some of my advice re houses on Gda was from that and it has worked out very well.