kingston jamaica

Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

coolagad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default kingston jamaica

I've been offered an excellent job in kingston jamaica. married with 2 boys. accomadation(gated security etc) in norbrook part of package but still very apprehensive of crime situation and feeling imprisoned!! can anyone give honest opinion as company employees make it sound very safe and a great life but everything on the web mentions safety and crime in big lights and a difficult place for expats.

dont want that weighing down on me all the time for any money!!!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kingston jamaica

All I remember about Jamaica (I've never been there) is a documentary I saw on the Hospital there ... you know, a day in the life type thing.

After watching it I struck Jamaica of the must go to list as it was like a war zone

Having said that it was probably the usual sensationalist TV stuff, and your safe as long as you stay in the right areas .... maybe someone else can comment
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

thanks folks, as i said am gettin first hand reports that things are very good but then i think they are biased. when i do research chances of gettin in trouble are low but the fear and apprehension of gettin in trouble might make it unbearable. think i'd go crazy in gated area and office etc. could possible do it myself but not with kids and missus in back of mind all the time
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

have had extensive discussions with past and present residents of kingston and all have been relatively positive. just keep yhour wits about you and avoid the well known hotspots.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

claudineb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolagad
I've been offered an excellent job in kingston jamaica. married with 2 boys. accomadation(gated security etc) in norbrook part of package but still very apprehensive of crime situation and feeling imprisoned!! can anyone give honest opinion as company employees make it sound very safe and a great life but everything on the web mentions safety and crime in big lights and a difficult place for expats.

dont want that weighing down on me all the time for any money!!!
to that ass that wrote about documentry on hospitals...ignoranance is bliss look i have been all over Jamaica nd I really had a phobia for kingston, but i recently been for the first time and OMG, i am looking to find work there or buy there pretty soon, this place is beautiful...people who talk badly about other people's country via sterotyping....needs to be set free in the ghetto for a day Go for it with faith in your co-workers and yourself and your choice of work and location.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Caymanite is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are wealthy and can afford to live in Hollywood (posh suberb of Kingston) then all good and great. Though you would have to employ security and guard dogs and cctv and high walls around your property to protect you and your family.
If you are not so wealthy then I fail to see where exactly in Kingston you would feel "safe". I have visited Jamaica (Kingston in particular) hundreds of times over the past ten years for work reasons and also for personal reasons and I would NEVER live in Kingston with a child, or without. Jamaica may be a beautiful country but it is a poor country and with that tends to come crime. Just read the Gleaner online and see for yourself.

Sorry to be so negative but I really would not move there. Unless you are happy living in a gated, guarded community without freedom to move around.

Also I am not sure of your colour but if you are white the locals will automatically presume you are rich and you will find yourself targeted as such.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Caymanite
If you are wealthy and can afford to live in Hollywood (posh suberb of Kingston) then all good and great. Though you would have to employ security and guard dogs and cctv and high walls around your property to protect you and your family.
If you are not so wealthy then I fail to see where exactly in Kingston you would feel "safe". I have visited Jamaica (Kingston in particular) hundreds of times over the past ten years for work reasons and also for personal reasons and I would NEVER live in Kingston with a child, or without. Jamaica may be a beautiful country but it is a poor country and with that tends to come crime. Just read the Gleaner online and see for yourself.

Sorry to be so negative but I really would not move there. Unless you are happy living in a gated, guarded community without freedom to move around.

Also I am not sure of your colour but if you are white the locals will automatically presume you are rich and you will find yourself targeted as such.
I can truely say thats your opinion...Its not HOLLYWOOD...its Beverly Hills, goes to show how much you know that country, as with 90% of the caribbean been poor, Jamaica is not exempt, its fair to say caymanites do not like Jamaicans because they claim they go to Cayman and take their jobs, so I am assuming you are from the Cayman? Its not fair to slate another man's country like that...I have visited kgn and Jamaica in general and i think you are going off stereotype....Kingston is however very cosmopolitan and the countrysides would be the best place to raise children, but some of the best high schools are in kgn.

If Jamaica/kgn is so bad, why is it that so many small islanders flock it for university or just school in general? There ar so many people from cayman, Turks, Panama etc that visit that country for school its unbeliveable...look at least you made it out alive and well right? So why cant this poster thats enquiring not be able to do the same. I say when you time is up on earth it is up no matter where u r located at the time.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry you are correct, Beverly Hills.......remember it now

I am only giving my opinion. I am not "Caymanite" (a person from Cayman is actually termed a Caymanian) and Jamaicans are actually welcomed in Cayman and have been an integral part of Cayman's building and prosperity. They school Cayman's children, build Cayman's homes, etc etc, most Caymanian's you speak to love Jamaicans so that is entirely incorrect.

Jamaica's problems began when they took independance from the Crown. Cayman chose not to. The Jamaica dollar and the Cayman dollar used to be equal, now look. Cayman is happy they did not follow Jamaica because now we have an excellent financial stature and SAFE tourism without the need to build little compounds that guests cannot leave without fear of safety.

I am just not sure if I would ever tell someone to go live in Kingston. Maybe other parts but not Kingston. Just my tuppence worth as someone who has seen Kingston at it's worst (riots early 2000's - got to see dead bodies loaded into vans in "cosmopolitan" Kingston) and I have also seen it at it's apparent best. Quite frankly I would not care to live in a country that you have to have security guards around to protect you and bars on windows and you cannot safely walk down most streets without fear of being mugged.

Living here in Grand Cayman I work with many Jamaicans and also have many Jamaican friends and the opinion amongst all of them is the same. Are they wrong? They are from that country and they say the same as I. Would not live in Kingston. They try to get their families OUT of Kingston so they can pursue a better life, they are not trying to return! What does that say?

As for Caymanian's going to Jamaica for education, no. Doesn't happen. They tend to go to the States or Canada or even the UK. Healthcare is also not up to standard in Jamaica with many Jamaican's coming here for major operations or if they can get a visa they choose to go Stateside.

Beautiful country, but a lot of problems. Crime being the main one.

Like I said people, read the Gleaner, it is all there in black and white.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Just wanted to say that Caymanian's do not think or say that Jamaican's take their jobs. There is next to NO unemployment amongst Caymanian's and you will find that the only ones out of work are those that chose to be or are sick and cannot work.

There are more jobs in Cayman than there are Caymanian's. That is why there are 26,000 + work permit holders living here! Also, Jamaican's and Filipinos tend to do the jobs that Caymanian's wouldn't touch, like cleaning houses or construction. You would not find any Caymanian's wanting to do the jobs that Jamaican's do. sad but true. So in all honesty, Jamaican's are NEEDED here and are welcomed (except for those here illegally).
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Just wanted to say that Caymanian's do not think or say that Jamaican's take their jobs. There is next to NO unemployment amongst Caymanian's and you will find that the only ones out of work are those that chose to be or are sick and cannot work.

There are more jobs in Cayman than there are Caymanian's. That is why there are 26,000 + work permit holders living here! Also, Jamaican's and Filipinos tend to do the jobs that Caymanian's wouldn't touch, like cleaning houses or construction. You would not find any Caymanian's wanting to do the jobs that Jamaican's do. sad but true. So in all honesty, Jamaican's are NEEDED here and are welcomed (except for those here illegally).
you not from Cayman, you not from Jamaica, what are you, an international observer? U study, analise and spit all sorts of things that are not necessarily true, words of one misled person is not always justified...look thats all your opinion, just leave it that way. U cant speak for all Jamaicans and all caymanians...maybe they do cleaning undercover..lol
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Calm yourself why don't you?

I am not ONE misled person, I am giving examples of literally hundreds.

As for Caymanian's cleaning undercover........

You do have a lot to learn about Caymanians...............stay under your little rose tinted cloud hey? Life is probably better for you that way. International Observer? Maybe. Though we know for sure you are an ostrich......

Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Methinks claudineb has a Jamaican boyfriend
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karibspices
Methinks claudineb has a Jamaican boyfriend
No I dont have a Jamaican boy friend honey...I just believe as another caribbean person, that its unfair to judge Jamaica unless you live there and experience it wholeheartedly..I wont continue this, all I have to say is...the person requesting the info on kgn...let them experience what you have had the chance to experience and i wont turn this decent thread into a bitch fest...simple. One person can never speak for a whole country.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:24 am
Just Joined

You do have a lot to learn about Caymanians...............stay under your little rose tinted cloud hey? Life is probably better for you that way. International Observer? Maybe. Though we know for sure you are an ostrich......

what rose tinted cloud have you crawled out of and think you left me behind? LOL....chile please let this thread continue its purpose...I am too grown to play with you today baby....
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:28 am
Just Joined

btw...there is a work survey on a cayman website that states the amount out international and nationals working in a specified field...for private household hire (maids) cayman 867...international (470)...does not mean all those internationals are from one country...it means they are international...so when you rolling over on the floor...mind the gap........from one ostrich to another...peace out baby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.