Moving to Anguilla

Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:50 am
Just Joined

nanocas is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Anguilla

Hello all!
I was hoping someone can help me please! I have a job offer in Anguilla and would love to accept it, however, hubby and I have 2 children aged 12 and 13 so secondary school age. I see there is only one local secondary school in Anguilla. I have read somewhere online that the local school does not take expats... is there a solution to my problem? do students in Anguilla take the ferry to St. Maarten for school? anyone any ideas?
Thank you!!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

eastofthesun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Anguilla

In January, the excellent Omololu Institute announced that "the school will be setting its sights on another project – expanding into a Secondary School. Plans are now moving forward to open a Grade 7/ Form 1 program for September 2017. If demand is there, consideration will be given to opening a Grade 8/ Form 2 in 2017 as well." Check to get an update on this: Omololuschool.org

If all else fails, yes, as of last year there were several students who went to St Maarten every morning.

Uprooting your life and family and moving to Anguilla is a courageous adventure but be aware that Anguilla is paradise; it is not utopia. Have you checked with anyone here in Anguilla to ensure that this employer will meet your reasonable expectations?

I assume you're aware that unless he has some needed skill, your husband is unlikely to qualify for a work permit.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the kind reply! I will get in touch with the Omololu Institute but my kids would need Forms 2 and 3 by sptember... so that might not be an option.... At least there is plan B which is to go to school with the boat to St. Maarten.. Of course I will have to look at the cost of it... and look into secondary school in St. Maarten like St. Dominic (unfortunately I cannot afford private schools...). Do you know if St. Dominic takes expats?? My husband is a stay-at-home dad, so does not plan to get a work permit
Thank you so much for your help! It is so difficult to do all this research from so far away!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

eastofthesun is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I know little about St Maarten except that it's full of rats and violent criminals and stuff they don't tell the tourists. (Two people were shot this morning on peaceful little St Eustatius, which is sort of a St Maarten satellite. One is dead.)

The fare for the ferry is US$20 each way, plus departure tax, security fee, taxi in St Maarten and tuition. Times 2 for your two children.

I'm not sure that our public secondary school doesn't take expats. I thought the rule was that they don't do that if there's a local alternative. I'm not really sure. Education is mandatory for all persons up to age 16. They can't require this of you and then prohibit you from our school system. You can contact our Dept. of Education at [email protected] . I believe there may be a fee for expats.

Another alternative is home schooling. I have a friend who did that. She spent a fortune on books and software. Does your stay-at-home husband earn money?
Old Jun 25th 2017, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Indeed with those boat fares times 2 it becomes a not viable option... I will certainly try the contact you have supplied, if they would be accepted to the local secondary school that would be great. Home schooling is not something I think we could deal with Thank you so much for all your great feedback!
Old Jun 26th 2017, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

I managed to call the department of education and they told me that yes the kids can apply to the local secondary school. (expat fee applied). That is good news!