Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Having now lived in the caribbean - whats surprised you about yourself?

Having now lived in the caribbean - whats surprised you about yourself?

Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:33 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having now lived in the caribbean - whats surprised you about yourself?

Its interesting, i think you have to get past the 'im on holiday - permanently' syndrome.

In the early days it was just too easy to spend ones time at the beach, in the bars, in the restaurants, and do not much else really.

As time goes on, i find i spend less time by the sea, more in my garden fighting the good fight with weeds, indulging in a litle chemical warfare, and enjoying the pool. The expat community has several facets eg 'book club - like fight club only more violent and everyone talks about it.' But actually i spend as much time with locals, as i'm related by wife to some of them.

Do you miss any foods? I thought i would miss some british foods, but practically, its all here, a lot locally organically grown - and usually actually tastes nicer. The instantness of uk supermarkets - anything anytime isnt here, but i think i actually like seasons of proper fruit etc, something to look foreward too. My local supermarket has american, tesco and waitrose stuff. They just run out of things occasionally - no cuban coffee this week.

I also prefer the local mode of holidays, christmas starts in december, not august, everything takes a long time, but you learn that time related promises are just different here, they honestly want it to happen then, but we are both suppsed to know its just politeness. Here people also almost take time for people, are always very polite, and are pretty friendly, not like the uk.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

beachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having now lived in the caribbean - whats surprised you about yourself?

Hello uk_grenada - my wife and I have experienced the same transition when we retired and found a definitive change from holiday mode to retirement routine. We have found a new routine that includes sleeping in a bit late, shopping for items we need that day (rather than stocking up for the week / month), taking painting classes, getting involved in the community, and planning a long walk before the occasional happy hour comes along.

I have sent you a private message with some questions about Grenada. I hope you can help us...
Old Feb 15th 2016, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having now lived in the caribbean - whats surprised you about yourself?

When we worked in Nassau (Bahamas - technically not the Caribbean, I know!) many years ago when we were newly married, we forswore the bars-and-restaurants scene and spent the money on weekends away in the Out Islands. We found the easy life of the latter more satisfying even than the easy life of the capital, though our jobs kept us in Nassau itself. We moved on, but eight years later, with a young child, we came to Cayman and rediscovered the pleasant life in a rich little island with a First World lifestyle. 38 years after we arrived, we're still here. We don't do the beach-scene any more, in our old age, but we do take life as easily as we did in Nassau all those years ago. And of course we don't pay any Income Tax here either!

I don't know why everybody doesn't do this, who could.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Inertia is a factor for many.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 4:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Inertia is a factor for many.
the comparison to living on a wind swept, always cloudy (or raining) Scottish Island to one of those 'every day the sun shines' places in the Caribbean must take its toll on retirees

Folks can only take so much sun & sand- or - wind & rain, after that pretty much do the same things day in, day out?
Old Mar 4th 2016, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
the comparison to living on a wind swept, always cloudy (or raining) Scottish Island to one of those 'every day the sun shines' places in the Caribbean must take its toll on retirees
Folks can only take so much sun & sand- or - wind & rain, after that pretty much do the same things day in, day out?
Actually, we old fogeys only visit the beach when the grandchildren are here with us for two weeks every year - plus we trek down to the main beach every New Year's Eve, traditionally. We stay out of the sun as much as we can. I had a couple of friends over for afternoon tea today, and we sat under the big umbrellas on the verandah - with a stand-up fan blowing on us. I guess if we'd been on that Scottish island of yours we'd have done the same thing, except with jumpers on. C'est la meme chose, eh?
Old Mar 4th 2016, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We discourage visitors in winter which lasts from September until July
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:46 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Here, its all about the breeze. Easter is peak breeze season, with the whole place getting obsessed about kite flying. To show you how extreme this is, the golf course is closed so people can fly kites there, at the club members insistance... Golfers forsaking their games... I live a fee hundred feet up, in an open plan house with big opening walls effectively facing the trade winds, ergo no aircon ever, i have some of those dyson bladeless fans, never use em.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

bajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Here, its all about the breeze. Easter is peak breeze season, with the whole place getting obsessed about kite flying. To show you how extreme this is, the golf course is closed so people can fly kites there, at the club members insistance... Golfers forsaking their games... I live a fee hundred feet up, in an open plan house with big opening walls effectively facing the trade winds, ergo no aircon ever, i have some of those dyson bladeless fans, never use em.
Oh, nice here in Barbados we are obsessed with kite flying around Easter too, especially the younger kids (and the young at heart!). Everyone goes down to the Garrison and other open areas to fly kites.

Always wanted to visit the spice isle!