Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos, Cost of Living

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos, Cost of Living

Old Apr 12th 2017, 11:26 am
Just Joined

stkrebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos, Cost of Living

I have seen several 5+ years old posts concerning the cost of living on Grand Turk. Well,…. my wife and I intend to retire with the next 1 -2 years and are seriously considering a move to Grand Turk. However, we have serious concerns about the cost of living. Any responses to the following questions would be greatly appreciated (I recognize that, given the limited information, only very rough estimates can be given in response to my questions):
Given that I am looking to buy a house in the $500,000 - $575,000 range, what might I expect to pay in homeowner’s insurance?
What might I expect to pay per month for: vehicle insurance? Internet, satellite TV, mobile phone? Groceries (we like to drink wine but can handle the cheap stuff ? Utilities (including water)?
What is the degree of difficulty in finding a person who can do home repairs? Vehicle repairs (I have noticed that vehicles tend to be treated as more of a disposal item that I treat my vehicle in the States)?
I have noticed that the medical care is based on Canadian standards, but will the cost of the medical care kill me ?
Old Apr 12th 2017, 4:43 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos, Cost of Living

I am intrigued to know why Grand Turk? I spent 24 hours there a few years back, and whilst on/under water the scene was very nice, the island itself appeared to have nothing going for it, apart from a jewellery shop per 1000 people.

What i was shown: The commercial crops include salt, thats it, not much grows, the main claim to fame is john glenn fell into the water 20? Miles offshore, and theres a huge decaying american base, plus another one for cruise ships to allow their guests to buy jewellery and get boozed up in a big jimmy buffets.

Everything has to be imported, but the smart / monied people apparently live on another local island which is a little less moon like.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Perhaps I am not that smart or perhaps I enjoy a place that has nothing going for it with the exception of wonderful people and a climate (yes, with downside, as all places have) that I enjoy.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 5:10 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The people are of course important, but i wouldnt call it more than a marine climate.

Theres a huge difference between flat islands [the weather just passes overhead] and the tall islands that generate micro climates, rainforest interiors and the like. Its really what makes them so very fertile supporting lovely fruits veg meat etc.

I visited many islands before settling here, if youve never been to the lusher islands of any jurisdiction i would recommend a visit before investing personally somewhere [actually 12 months renting anywhere is completely worthwhile to fully understand the local situation/costs/people/politics/housing possibilities and of yourse how you feel about it before committing...]

Unless of course its a family thing and you already have relatives/contacts there, thats another thing entirely.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

uk,

You have given me much to think about.

Thank you.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

skip84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with UK on his opinions, Grand Turk (GT) doubles in population when cruise ships dock, if you are after unfettered landscape with minimal people try middle or north caicos, for more people try provo. but if retiring i would shop around the caribbean before deciding, flat islands tend to stay warm and sticky, we are lucky to have a breeze for most of the year with the exception of summer when it is still.

Given that I am looking to buy a house in the $500,000 - $575,000 range, what might I expect to pay in homeowner’s insurance? - no idea but with that amount of investment i believe you would be eligible for a permanent residency certificate.

What might I expect to pay per month for: vehicle insurance? $300 a year third party Internet, satellite TV, - bundle for $107
mobile phone? $30 a month on a prepaid
Groceries (we like to drink wine but can handle the cheap stuff ? depends on what you eat if you cook etc. but anything from $300 upwards not including booze. not sure on wine but rum is cheap around $10 a litre for local rum which isnt bad.
Utilities (including water)? if you are on cistern its $165 a "load" which is enough for about 2 months (they dont know how much a load is)
What is the degree of difficulty in finding a person who can do home repairs? relatively easy get in contact with a rental agent and ask for their repairman
Vehicle repairs (I have noticed that vehicles tend to be treated as more of a disposal item that I treat my vehicle in the States)? they can get repaired but most mechanics here arent amazing.. to fix my horn they rewired a button on my steering wheel that annoys me everyday.
I have noticed that the medical care is based on Canadian standards, but will the cost of the medical care kill me ? not sure on a PRC but as a worker you pay NHIB contributions and you only pay the first $10.

Hope this helps!