Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS IT ALL

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS IT ALL

Old Apr 5th 2016, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Sosua Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS IT ALL

WHY SO MANY PEOPLE COME TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FOR HOLIDAY AND TO RETIRE HERE. i will start to add more information and answer any questions anyone has.

WEATHER, EASY TO OBTAIN RESIDENCY, QUALITY REAL ESTATE PRICES, LARGE EUROPEAN AND NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY, AFFORDABLE LIVING, GOOD WORKING COMMUNICATIONS, EVER GREEN NATURE, LOT TO SEE, INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS, MEDICAL ATTENTION, FINANCIAL AND POLITICAL STABILITY, MANY SPORTS
WEATHER
obviously one of the most important points is the weather, we do not have the extreme cold of the Northern US or Canada nor the heat in some parts of the US. Generally weather conditions are warm and sunny all year around. Our tropical clime involves some rain but weather is generally just great.
Many North Americans are very wary of the Caribbean Islands because of hurricanes. But here in Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata on the Dominican North Coast is one of the very few places in the Caribbean where there has never been a Hurricane. That is because of the Canal de la Mona, which is the sea passage between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. Once a hurricane tracks in the direction of the North Dominican Coast the ocean currents of the channel will push the storm north towards Cuba or if the track is more southerly the current then will push it out into the Caribbean Sea or along the southern coast of the Dominican Republic. Of course there is always a possibility to get hit by a Hurricane but the possibilities are very slim.
EASY TO GET REISIDENCY
North American citizens are very welcome in the Dominican Republic and the government policy is to get more foreign investment into the Dominican Republic, that’s why it is very easy to get a residency and work permits for Canadian Citizens. We will happily assist you with the paperwork and procedure to obtain your residency. It is mostly bureaucratic paperwork and all must take place in Santo Domingo, located on the south coast so it will take a few months and an experienced lawyer to get things done. Not to worry, things move slow at times, that is part of the charm about living in a Hispanic culture but it will get done.
Our lawyer can help you to get things done quick and easy. The cost of the first residency is between US$ 1000 an US$ 2000 per person.
PRICE QUALITY REAL ESTATE PRICES
The Dominican Republic is a very interesting place to buy real estate for American; the price quality ratio is just great. The Dominican Republic is one of the very last places where there is still ocean front or ocean view real estate available. A Real Estate price; when compared to other Caribbean countries is extremely affordable.
Because of this very affordable price ratio, ocean front/ocean view properties prices increased even during the international crisis.
There are many different gated communities available, where your investment is guaranteed and the prices steadily increase. Yes we also had some properties losing value over the last years, but the big majority stayed stable or increased in value. Here on the north coast you can invest in a property where prices are not overinflated.
LARGE NORTH AMERICAN/EUROPEAN INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY
Especially in Sosua there is very large North American/European International community. Many early retired Americans choose Sosua as their retirement home. Because of this huge international community you can easily shop for North American or European food, clothing, construction materials, etc. The Playero Supermarket is one of the biggest supermarkets on the North coast. You can shop for Italian, American, Russian, Chinese, and Dominican food specialties along with a host of fresh tropical fruits and vegetables.
There are also a lot of activities organized for the International community (Lotto, Karaoke BBQ and much more). Come on down and enter into the relaxed atmosphere here in Sosua/Cabarete there is always something happening and it gets never boring. I am sure that you will like the Caribbean way of life that is influenced by both North American and European culture.
AFFORTABLE LIFE
The Dominican Republic is one of the few places in the Caribbean where life is not expensive. Where else can you get a full lunch starting at 3 Dollars?
Many Dominican Restaurants offer very tasteful food for cheap prices which includes mostly meat/chicken/pork/fish, rice and salad.
There are also a lot of International Restaurants offering food for very reasonable prices. Many Restaurants offer a special resident menu, with special pricing.
The Supermarket Playero is full of Dominican and International food for affordable prices. Just a few minutes away in Puerto Plata is the La Sirana/Pola Supermarket with an even bigger variety of food, household supplies and clothing. There are other smaller yet very nice shops, and restaurants to explore.
In Santiago or Santo Domingo are even bigger shops and you find everything you need.
VERY GOOD COMMUNICATION
The Dominican Republic has an excellent telecommunication system, by cable or air, you get very good connection to all over the word. As one of the first Latin American countries the Dominican Republic counts with 3 G connection and 3G Internet all over the country. There are also 2 Black Berry providers available.
The prices for communication are internationally prices and available to all.

There are 6 major International Airports in the Dominican. Puerto Plata, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Samana, La Romana and Punta Cana.
The most convenient airport on the north coast is Gregory Luperon International Airport in Puerto Plata, where world-wide connections can be made.
EVER GREEN NATURE
The Dominican Republic is a tropical paradise with beautiful mountains, valleys, waterfalls and incredible beaches. The fantastic weather makes the island so green. Many endemic plants and species are in the different parts of the Dominican. The nature is just stunning and one of the big advantages of the Dominican Republic
SCHOOLS
In Sosua/Cabarete are different International schools available. Some offer bilingual education. Your child can obtain an American and Dominican diploma from a US accredited school. This gives your child a big advantage for the future.
Puerto Plata, Santiago and Santo Domingo have some outstanding universities and offer many post secondary education opportunities.
MEDICAL ATTENTION
We have here in Sosua/Cabarete an emergency medical center with several specialties. A few minutes away in Puerto Plata there are several hospitals where treatment for more serious medical conditions is available. Specialty treatment and the university hospital can be obtained in Santiago and Santo Domingo.
Different local insurance companies offer national and international health coverage for much cheaper price then in the US.
FINANCIAL AND POLITICAL STABILITY
The Dominican Republic is one of a few Latin American countries that have political and financial stability. Economic inflation is low while economic growth is steady. The relative stability of the Dominican Peso (RD$) exchange rate with the US dollar (US$) promotes advantageous investment opportunities for US citizens

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 5th 2016 at 11:17 pm. Reason: YouTube video removed
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:07 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS IT ALL

So, exploiting haitian workers then attempting to cleanse the country of them?

Legalised prostitution including american themed prostitution/sex resorts?

Crime in the DR - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_...nican_Republic

DR compared with Grenada (which i always thought was a safe-ish place) but you can go here and compare any 2 countries

Dominican Republic vs Grenada Crime Stats Compared
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody History on the island shared by Dominica and Haiti

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...g-of-haitians/
Old Apr 5th 2016, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Bloody History on the island shared by Dominica and Haiti
Just for the record, Scot: Dominica is an entirely separate island in the eastern Caribbean. The Dominican Republic is called either that name in full or "DR".
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:15 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Dominica is a really beautiful island, great if you love nature...
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Wow that initial message caused some interesting responses. Let's see if we can respond to all the points.

Firstly Grenada which is a pretty but small island, having cruised there, It is 344 sq miles with a population of 110,000 whereas the DR is 18,705 sq miles with a population of 10,400,000 . All you need is a handful of policeman to control such a small population with nowhere to hide.
I had a client who quoted me the crime statistics for DR and said he would never live in a country like that. I asked him if he would live in a city with the crime statistics I sent him. He said No way I would be frightened to go out on a night. I then pointed out it was his city's own statistics.
Yes there is crime which you would expect when there is a great divide between rich and poor. Hopefully, some of the rich and drug dealers will be exposed in the pananame parers if anyone is brave enough to follow them up.

I dont own a car and walk everywhere and find the vast majority of Dominicans very helpful and friendly. I wouldnt however walk down some streets in the middle of the night, nor would I in my home town in England.

Yes prostition is legal but pimping is illegal. Most of the women do it from choice unlike some countries where they are sadly coerced into prostitution.
The Government has been having crack downs in the major centers but it will not go away. We do see many gringos looking for girls but we also see many having long term relationships as a result of meeting the right one.
Baseball and sex appear to be the most popular sports amongst Dominicans and they don't have the hang ups we westerners have.
I always give my single clients a fatherly talk before they arrive.
It can't be that bad otherwise why is there such a large international community of retired couples and parents living here?

Ever country sadly has its minority class who tend to do all the hard and unpleasant jobs. In the DR its the Haitians who are sadly less welcome now as they were when on sugar plantations. Many were given the opportunity to get their residency including my gardener who I pay above wages as he is such a hard worker. There is still a large number . Come 1 yeare and Donald Trump gets elected there maybe more Haitians living here than Mexicans living in the USA?????
I'm sure Ive not covered all the points raised but I dont want to bore you with such a long reply
Old Apr 6th 2016, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole region is dripping with blood ! But it is marketed by the likes of the OP as a "tropical paradise". Where you see the production of sugar on an industrial scale you have historically seen slavery and exploitation.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

It is a tropical paradise with 10 million people spread around the island and like every country in the world except maybe Grenada, sadly people are exploited and some abused but for the majority of the population they get on with life as best they can and it helps to be in lovely country where you can appreciate nature, as you must each day.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:15 pm

To be honest, the days of slavery, terrible as they were, were only one episode in the caribbeans exploitation by the first world. The longer period of indentured labour that followed didnt do anything to make locals lives easier. There were 2 boats from india that arrived in Gda, 25% of the passengers [they were doing it to get a better life...] died en route, and i believe the same thing happened all over the caribbean, though i do recall some pretty horrific rhungs happened in hispaniola, the french and the spanish? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispaniola

The current setup however appears to have a bad smell, xenophobic DR, terribly poor and downtrodden, and sick haiti.

This sums it up for me... Its medieval... Its still going on today, the UN had a report on it last month.

Poor Haitians Resort to Eating Dirt

While thats next door, you can expect trouble, and no amount of gated communities and guns will stop it.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Apr 6th 2016 at 2:18 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

I dont live in a gated community nor the 40 other residents close by. With 10 million people the odds of me being targetted is low. I think we both agree to disagree about the DR. Im happy where I am and you are happy where you live. Huffington Post also think the DRs a good place to retire to
5 Great Reasons To Live, Retire, Or Invest In The Dominican Republic 5 Great Reasons To Live, Retire, Or Invest In The Dominican Republic
Over to you to have the last word
Old Apr 6th 2016, 7:58 pm

Well, im glad you have found your tropical home, i'm sure we actually share a lot of experiences. Just remember, if things get tricky, there are still places in the tropics where people leave their doors unlocked at night, and dont bother to move the bottle of rum from the patio overlooking the road knowing while some neighbour might take a glass if they need it, it'll be there tomorrow. And you dont need anything special to move there.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Haiti and the Dominican Republic: Faces of a divided island - CNN.com
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:51 am
Just Joined

acebritty is an unknown quantity at this point

A great insightful read
Old Oct 6th 2016, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

..............and be wary of people who want to sell you something. Their reports are biased.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Well, im glad you have found your tropical home, i'm sure we actually share a lot of experiences. Just remember, if things get tricky, there are still places in the tropics where people leave their doors unlocked at night, and dont bother to move the bottle of rum from the patio overlooking the road knowing while some neighbour might take a glass if they need it, it'll be there tomorrow. And you dont need anything special to move there.
Such as where specifically?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.