Caribbean?

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Mrs A is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caribbean?

Has anyone moved to one of these islands? Have looked at a couple of sites and got lost in the info re:various taxes.

Can outsiders get jobs, assuming you've got to be useful to the island?

Any info and success stories would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2003, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Jennie2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Caribbean?

Originally posted by Mrs A
Has anyone moved to one of these islands? Have looked at a couple of sites and got lost in the info re:various taxes.

Thanks
Hi Mrs. A,

I live in Trinidad at the moment (been here since '97). Before that I was in Tobago (from '92-97).

If you wanted to move here, or any of the other islands for that matter, you would have to have a skill that a national doesn't have or prove that you can in some way prove a valuable asset to the country ie. create employment for nationals or invest money.

There are other ways also. I know a few of people who have retired in Tobago and because they have their pension and therefore would not be a burden on the government, they have been able to get residency. It took them a while though.

It is possible, but you have to have a proper plan. As for me, I was able to get citizenship because my father was a Trinidadian, so I guess I cheated a little!
Old Mar 24th 2003, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help Jennie.

I'm thinking of doing some evening classes for the next year as I don't have many qualifications. I am IT literate and fully conversant with all Microsoft packages.
Was thinking of doing accounts and maybe something else - can you suggest anything that would help my cause.

My husbands a chef and qualified in PC maintenance and installation.

How do you find life in general out there? Do you get the stresses of work that we get here? But is it nice to unwind in the sunshine with a nice cold drink.

Neither of us are work shy but it would be nice to have the Caribbean's beauty to compensate.

After the day I've had today I'd quite happily jump on a plane now

Sorry for the continuous questions
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
Hi Mrs A

I know what you mean, i've been trying to find info on the Caribbean too, our long term goal is to move there once we have saved enough in canada to set up our own business, Sandy is a diving instructor, its hard even trying to pick an island, we used to holiday twice a year in Antigua, over the years 'things' have deteriorated over there, the locals have told us not to move there due to the increasing drug problems, someone we knew had their 2 GSD guard dogs killed, saying that we have'nt visited since 1999 so not sure what its like now, maybe we can share any info we get?

Pammy
Old Mar 24th 2003, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help Jennie.

I'm thinking of doing some evening classes for the next year as I don't have many qualifications. I am IT literate and fully conversant with all Microsoft packages.
Was thinking of doing accounts and maybe something else - can you suggest anything that would help my cause.

My husbands a chef and qualified in PC maintenance and installation.

How do you find life in general out there? Do you get the stresses of work that we get here? But is it nice to unwind in the sunshine with a nice cold drink.

Neither of us are work shy but it would be nice to have the Caribbean's beauty to compensate.

After the day I've had today I'd quite happily jump on a plane now

Sorry for the continuous questions
The Education over here is first rate and even though people think that we are a little backward or "third world", it isn't the case. What I mean to say is, there are alot of qualified citizens over here who can do the jobs you mentioned. The only way you could probably come over here and do a job like that is if a specific company were setting up over here and they wanted you specifically. (for example: British Gas is over here and they have chosen to use some British staff even though the jobs could be done by locals). I would suggest visiting whatever island you were thinking of moving to and seeing if there is a special need there.

As for winding down in Trinidad, I'm afraid that once you get into to the everyday life of working, cooking dinner going to bed etc. It's not much different from England as it is just one big city. There are beaches but not in walking distance.

If you are looking for a more relaxing place, I would suggest Tobago. It is not as developed as Trinidad and much more laid back. Also, there is MUCH less crime in Tobago.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I didn't mean for my message to come across like I thought locals weren't up to the job. It was more a case of bringing myself up to scratch with the competition out there.

I've been to Tobago as well as other caribbean islands and would never dream of insulting the local peoples' intelligence. I certainly don't consider that I'm better than anyone else

I was wondering more along the lines of, what kind of chance did I have as any island would naturally favour a local before someone from outside the community and if there was anyway I could improve my chances.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pammy
Hi Mrs A

I know what you mean, i've been trying to find info on the Caribbean too, our long term goal is to move there once we have saved enough in canada to set up our own business, Sandy is a diving instructor, its hard even trying to pick an island, we used to holiday twice a year in Antigua, over the years 'things' have deteriorated over there, the locals have told us not to move there due to the increasing drug problems, someone we knew had their 2 GSD guard dogs killed, saying that we have'nt visited since 1999 so not sure what its like now, maybe we can share any info we get?

Pammy

Good idea Pammy! If Sandy needs any staff my hubby's training up on his diving. lol! I lived in the Channel Islands for 16 years and have a fairly good idea about island and community life so am pretty concerned on our chances of obtaining employment.

We'll think of something though!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I didn't mean for my message to come across like I thought locals weren't up to the job. It was more a case of bringing myself up to scratch with the competition out there.

I've been to Tobago as well as other caribbean islands and would never dream of insulting the local peoples' intelligence. I certainly don't consider that I'm better than anyone else

I was wondering more along the lines of, what kind of chance did I have as any island would naturally favour a local before someone from outside the community and if there was anyway I could improve my chances.
I should apologise too. I didn't mean to come across like I thought that you were insulting the intelligence of the locals. I was just saying that when it comes to "everyday" jobs, it would be hard to come on that basis.

That's why I suggested Tobago because there is a lot of tourism there and a few foreigners have gone there and set up their own para-gliding schools ect. because you wouldn't really find alot of people who would know how to teach that. I'm sure there are other inovative business ideas that are also novel.

I'm really sorry once again. I honestly didn't mean it how it come across. That's the trouble with e-mail. You can never actually hear something in the tone in which it is said.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

I'd be quite happy raking seaweed up off the beach at the mo

No phone or pc - ahhh bliss!!!!!!

How did you find life in Tobago? The reason why the Crabbean is looking attractive to us is the pace of life. We appreciate it's not going to be like a holiday and we'll have to work hard. People seem to be in such a rush and want everything yesterday here, trying to get somewhere 20 seconds sooner.

It certainly looks like we'll have to stick our thinking caps on for this though!
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Oops! just noticed my terrible spelling of Caribbean
Old Mar 26th 2003, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

I'd be quite happy raking seaweed up off the beach at the mo

No phone or pc - ahhh bliss!!!!!!

How did you find life in Tobago? The reason why the Crabbean is looking attractive to us is the pace of life. We appreciate it's not going to be like a holiday and we'll have to work hard. People seem to be in such a rush and want everything yesterday here, trying to get somewhere 20 seconds sooner.

It certainly looks like we'll have to stick our thinking caps on for this though!
I know exactly what you mean! Unfortunately, Trinidad is very industrialized so life over here is similar to North America in alot of ways. It's just hotter!

Tobago is quite a different cup of tea though. As you have been there before, I'm sure you noticed that everybody is extremely laid back. And it's not just that way if you are on holiday - it's like that all the time!

The reason that I eventually moved across to Trinidad was because I didn't think that Tobago had enough opportunities and I have kids. 3 of my children where born in Tobago, the 4th in Trinidad.
Old Apr 12th 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

hilt is an unknown quantity at this point

Just saying hello again Jennie.
Hope things are well with you.
Will be in Tobago in May for a month.
So make sure you keep that sun shining.
Best wishes.

Mrs A.
This site is about Tobago and a very good one. You may already have come across it. Some-one there may be able to answer some questions for you. http://mytobago.info/index.htm
Its mostly about holiday stuff but you never know somebody there may have further info for you.
Regards
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 12:11 pm
Heading for Adelaide ASAP

empyrean is on a distinguished road

Some close friends of ours who are mad about diving, sold up and went to one of the Bay Islands in Honduras. They have been there for a year now and have set up their own diving school and love every minute. I don't think they found it difficult to get into Honduras so may be a place you might consider?
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Empyrean

I had funnily enough been looking at Honduras too!
Wasn't sure about the hurricane status though and things looked a lot more basic than Tobago!?
Did your friends have a lot of money to take with them?
We're aiming to save as much as we can over the next 10 years and should also have paid for the house so hopefully we will have enough.
We are going to holiday in both places first, what is your friends diving school called and on which island?, maybe we can pay them a visit, it would be nice to talk to someone who has done it.

Best Regards
Pammy
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:13 pm
Heading for Adelaide ASAP

empyrean is on a distinguished road

Hi Pammy

I think they had about £250k after the sale of their house. They are on Utila and you can see something of their resort on their website at www,deepblueutila.com. They also have a dive shop in the town.

Their names are Steve and Jasmine and I'm sure they would love to hear from you - say Chris (Jasmine's friend) told you about them. I "talk " with her on Messenger most weekends so I'll tell her about you.

One thing I do know is that they work really hard and did 7 days a week for the the first year, she now takes Sunday mornings off!!!

Let me know if I can help anymore.

Chris