Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - salary to negotiate

Bermuda - salary to negotiate

Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

RyanMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Bermuda - salary to negotiate

Hi, My name is Ryan, I am a Canadian.

I am considering a job as IT project manager with an IT firm consulting for a bank, for a one year contract. Given the salary level for my job in Canada and USA is the range of $60-70 per hour or about $100 - 120 K per year and the Bermuda employer is offering housing, meals, ground transport, I would like to seek advice on what salary I should negotiate.

I would also like to know the standard of health care and insurance premium over there. What can I expect as leave and holiday travel home?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bermuda - salary to negotiate

Really hard to comment on what salary you should be looking for as no idea how senior you are or what US salaries are typically like. Maybe you should go for abut the same? Don't know.

Housing is really expensive in Bermuda and is most people's biggest expense, so if that is being picked up it you don't really need to play hardball. They are going to pay for all your meals for a year?

Leave entitlements are quite like the US, i.e. not very generous, 15 to 20 days or so. Not sure what you mean by holiday travel home, if you mean will hey pay for trips, I did not meet anyone who had that perk, however I didn't come across anyone on a fixed term contract per se, everyone I knew was there on normal local conditions.

Health care is fine. You probably wouldn't want to have triple heart bypass surgery but otherwise it is completely fine. You will need insurance, no idea what it cost as my company provided that.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

RyanMoore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your information.

I am a resident in USA pursuing the job offer through a recruiter. I would like to know what (approx) percentage of my salary that I should consider for income tax, employment and social security and/or any other taxes that Bermuda government would levy.

Would the free housing and other local expenses paid for by the employer be added to my income?

I gather from the Bermuda online.org that US residents employed in Bermuda get to deduct $76,000 from annual salary while they file their tax return in the US.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanMoore
Thank you for your information.

I am a resident in USA pursuing the job offer through a recruiter. I would like to know what (approx) percentage of my salary that I should consider for income tax, employment and social security and/or any other taxes that Bermuda government would levy.
There is no income tax in Bermuda, there is payroll tax, you would have to ask your employer are they paying the payroll tax or are you.

Would the free housing and other local expenses paid for by the employer be added to my income?
Do you mean for US tax purposes? That is somethjing you would need to consult a US tax lawyer about.

I gather from the Bermuda online.org that US residents employed in Bermuda get to deduct $76,000 from annual salary while they file their tax return in the US.
Again, sorry don't know anything about US tax.