Bahamas - Nassau

Old May 9th 2012, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

londonlad25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bahamas - Nassau

Hello all,

Moving to Nassau next month from the UK for work. Will be over about a year.

I’m 28, male, work as an engineer.

I’ve been offered a salary of $75,000 USD per year. Is that enough for a reasonable lifestyle?

Perhaps silly questions, but:

Is English football shown in bars etc?
Can you get british TV?
What’s the cost of living like? How much for an average meal out / beer?
Is a car essential?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahamas - Nassau

Hi Steve,

Sorry only just came across your thread.

A very belated welcome to BE. I can't help with your query as I live in the US, mind you that's probably mute anyway as you may have already moved there.

Did you take up the job offer? If so how are you finding it?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I have just joined this site and I am assuming you came to the Bahamas as planned. Hope you are enjoying it! The Cricket Club on West Bay Street usually shows cricket, football and other sports. Cable Bahamas also shows english football at times. Yes, you can watch UK TV if you set up a VPN on your computer. Your salary sounds good but it depends where you live and what kind of life style you want. Eating out is expensive if you go to the better restaurants but, again, the Cricket Club offers a good range of meals. A car is pretty much essential unless you live very near to town or to where you work.

You probably have all the answers by now, but it might help anyone else who is thinking of coming here to work.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Anna-84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve,
Hope you have settled in here - I have just moved over myself from London. Am also in my twenties and am trying to settle in to Island life - any advice or tips please!?
Thanks
Anna
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Hello all,

Yes I made the move! Enjoying it so far, though the limitations of island life quickly become apparent. My biggest tip is keep safe!! Don't go out at night unless you're in a car, and keep your wits about you as much as you can! Where have you decided to live - East or West??
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Hey there,
Yep I know what you mean about safety - have already been made aware of the downside to being a single girl on the island with regards to what I can and can't do on my own! Am living pretty central - would have liked to live west but I work in the East and escaped London due to terrible commuting times so didn't want to go there again! What did you mean about limitations...shopping/goods wise or other stuff?
Anna
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Going to the supermarket is a distressingly expensive experience!! Slightly cheaper to eat out if you know the right places to go!!

The mall here isn't terrible, but there's not a lot of choice. The only thing here a lot cheaper than the UK is going to the cinema.

Have you been over to Atlantis yet? Its cool, well worth checking out!!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Not been to Atlantis but am keen to check it out at some point - might save it for when friends come and stay later this year to do the whole tourist thing! The supermarket is crazy expensive but am slowly learning how to try and live cheaply. I have only been here 3 weeks so its all pretty new still - started my job pretty much immediately which didn't give me much time to settle in.
Finding the pace of life quite hard to adjust to having come from London but I am sure I will slow down into it! The one issue I have is with going to meet people after work for drinks - pretty much everyone I have met through work is a local and they dont seem to do taxis so am not keen to go on a 'big night out' as I know wherever I go I have to drive home - let me know if you have found any reliable taxi sources.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:30 am
Just Joined

I'll send you a message about the whole driving and nights out situation here, but you're right, taxis don't work like back home here!!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Glad you have settled in.

We worked as teachers on Long Island for 6 years in the 1960/70's.
Both our children were born on LI.

This spring, to celebrate a 70th birthday the whole family made a return trip to the island and we stopped off in nassau for a few days to meet up with old friends/pupils.

Have to say we were shocked with Nassau, especially the ghastly cruise ships "parked" right on Bay St.

Things we loved - taxis, price and friendly/helpful drivers (once they knew our story) Arawak Cay ,the Cricket Club, absolutely brilliant and being invited to Sunday brunch at Lyford Cay - best fish and grits ever!

On LI the "children" couldn't believe the colour of the sea. The amazing friendliness of everyone and the way the bush telegraph announced our arrival - we even had a reception commitee at the airport. The fact that all the schools now have aircon. Max's Coch Bar. The thrill of taking the family to the very place they were born and even being taken to the very room by a nurse who was one of our pupils. Lots and lots of laughter and tears.

Things we didn't like , apart from Bay St, Bahamas Airways no change there then and the Out Island section of the airport, likewise.
The fact that so many Out Islanders have upped sticks (understandable but sad)
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure the trip brought back many memories for you! Bay Street is a sad mess at the moment. They keep talking about upgrading etc but it is taking so long to start. Many of the more interesting shops closed over the years. When I first went there in 1983, I loved Bay Street. Now it all jewelry and perfume shops. Very few shops with locally produced items. I still love living there though and hope for better times.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Glad you are enjoying it.

I forgot one other thing. We spent quite a long time in the new straw market because we just loved talking to the stall holders who all said what an improvement it is.

Also should have mentioned the fact that there are now grocery stores on LI. In our days we had to rely on the mail boat and the weather/sobriety of the captain!!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I worked at Commonwealth Brewery between 1995 and 98 so this thread has brought back some (mostly) happy memories. Security was also an issue back then; one tip which worked really well for home security was to get a dog. Having said that, we never felt that worried. My job took me "over the hill" for visits to the liquor trade at night but we just took along a few of our local colleagues and never had a problem. I wonder if Guinness and Night Train is still a popular combination!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

KeithLucas is an unknown quantity at this point

We are retired ex-pats considering a move to Nassau/New Providence. We have been away from UK for 30 years living first in Canada and now in Spain. We will buy a house - probably in a gated community. We are golfers looking for a friendly community to join.
Any advce or suggestions?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Has to be Lyford Cay but I hope you are "minted", Keith!
If your budget is lower, then we had friends living in Delaport (but at that time there were a lot of noisy US Customs Officers living there). Sandyport was under construction at that time, and looking very nice too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.