Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there from the Dominican Republic?

Anyone out there from the Dominican Republic?

Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone out there from the Dominican Republic?

Originally Posted by lindsdefeliz
Sosua has two international schools so that will be no problem. Internet access is good all over the island and you have four providers to choose from so that will not be a problem. Sosua has many positives such as the schools, lots of expats, bars and restaurants, but it is all a bit of a sex tourism centre. It might also be worth looking at Cabarete which is only a few miles away and has lots of restaurants on the beach.
Hi again, I've been off for a while so only now catching up, many thanks for the replies you've given me

Last edited by Phil-UK; Feb 14th 2012 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by whirleybird
Just found this thread and have lived nearby to Sabaneta de Yasica (east of Cabarete) since June 2006.

I also came from Devon, Phil.
Hi whirleybird, a fellow Devonian, that's good

So how are you enjoying your retirement in the DR, any regrets or was it a good move? It seems your origin and destination would be almost an exact match if we end up near Cabarete also.

Interested in how your've found it?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

whirleybird is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I still choose to be here so guess that says a lot in itself.

No denying there is a huge learning curve, culture shock and many adjustments to make but a lot of that depends also on the type of area you select to live in.

My own experiences have not been without challenges and I learn a little more about the people and surroundings on a daily basis.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

alexandra2277 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question and possibly you would be able to give me an answer. I am from Poland and together with my husband we want to do sth what in Poland would be treated as crazy, which is moving to Dominican Republic. I am 35, and in Poland I work as a director in the property investments industry dealing with the construction of hotels and office buildings. My husband works as a sales manager for the pharmacological industry. Do you think we would be able to find a job in Dominican Republic? I realize I won't be working in my industry by I have an ability of running any investment projects. How much time could it take us to find a job and what kind of jobs we could get in DR?
Thank you for the answer. I would really, really appreciate it.
Alex

Originally Posted by lindsdefeliz
I have been here for ten years. I came as a scuba diving instructor on a 6 month contract and just stayed! The cost of living depends very much on where you live. If you choose a tourist and expat area on the beach it is significantly more than if you live inland in a Dominican community. I live in a little Dominican town and rent a large 3 bed 2 bath villa for just over 100 pounds a month. If you eat local food you can survive easily on 150 pounds a month. There are international supermarkets springing up everywhere and if you eat imported food it will cost you more. let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

lindsdefeliz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am afraid the answers are not very positive. It is very hard to get work here both for foreigners and for Dominicans. The only option I can think of is that there has been an influx of people from Eastern Europe, both tourists and companies so maybe an internet search to see which companies are here and then apply to them. You could also try contacting the Polish tour operators to see if they need people to look after their guests here.

Once you are in the country then you could look for other jobs if you wanted to. I would not advise you to come here without a job as I doubt you will find one, and you really should speak fluent Spanish if you are looking to work.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Lindsay
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

BlankitaH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I currently live in Sosua and work in a bar in cabarete. I dont think sosua is completly sex tourism base yes its about but as with anywhere like that it can be avoided and if your not looking for it its not forced upon you. Cabarete is very international, the bar i work in is a Canadian run sports bar but the beach is amazing and all the different people you get there certainly makes my job much more exciting.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

whirleybird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlankitaH
Hi guys, I currently live in Sosua and work in a bar in cabarete. I dont think sosua is completly sex tourism base yes its about but as with anywhere like that it can be avoided and if your not looking for it its not forced upon you. Cabarete is very international, the bar i work in is a Canadian run sports bar but the beach is amazing and all the different people you get there certainly makes my job much more exciting.
Welcome here and glad you enjoy your life and work in the DR. IMHO neither Sosua or Cabarete are the 'real' DR - what do you think?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

BlankitaH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whirleybird
Welcome here and glad you enjoy your life and work in the DR. IMHO neither Sosua or Cabarete are the 'real' DR - what do you think?
No your probably right but what is the 'real' anywhere now i wouldnt have said I came from the real Scotland its also a country with history and beauty but my god i cant say day to day I ever saw it!! Im only 20 so for sure I go where the nightlife is and the work and for me I cant fail with Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata. Iv travelled all over the country but the North Coast just excites me.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

lindsdefeliz is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Cabarete for its bars and restaurants and the chance to speak English(!), but I love the day to day life with Dominicans and the mountains rather than the oceans. Mind you, give me a hamburger over plantains any day.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by alexandra2277
I have a question and possibly you would be able to give me an answer. I am from Poland and together with my husband we want to do sth what in Poland would be treated as crazy, which is moving to Dominican Republic. I am 35, and in Poland I work as a director in the property investments industry dealing with the construction of hotels and office buildings. My husband works as a sales manager for the pharmacological industry. Do you think we would be able to find a job in Dominican Republic? I realize I won't be working in my industry by I have an ability of running any investment projects. How much time could it take us to find a job and what kind of jobs we could get in DR?
Thank you for the answer. I would really, really appreciate it.
Alex
I was in DR earlier this year, go regularly and have done for the past 10 years or so. My old man runs his own business out there. Being in the construction industry, I keep pestering him to give me contacts, but it's not looking very good atm. A lot of unfinished projects standing still.

Speaking spanish is definitely a plus, but not a requirement to be able to work in DR..I know several who do and have done for years.

There appears to be plenty of Italians and Germans on the southern side of the island, I'm most familiar with San Pedro de Macoris area. Also lots of Americans and Spaniards. There does seem to have been an influx of some European organized criminal gangs in this area though, not a very positive development.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlankitaH
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I am in the process of securing a job in DR now..and it is based in Sosua. Considering it provides housing and a car, how much would you reckon a couple in their late 20's, early 30's would spend shopping locally, avoiding fancy restaurants, etc? I noticed a figure of around £150 a month somewhere else in the thread..but its somewhat old now and perhaps might have changed. Been told the salary won't be huge all frills expat type deal, which is fine..but I don't want to live on a hand to mouth basis either.

I've not been given alot of details on the overall package, and the closest I got to a cost of living was 40% less than the US..which tells me nothing as I haven't lived there since '98.