Antigua

Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:44 am
Just Joined

steveshiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Antigua

Hi Forum,

Am about to purchase a villa in Antigua (hopfully) but know very little about the island. Travelling next week to view the villa, and if we like what we see, intend to move there in a year or so. Would any expats care to have a beer and give us a few pointers? We will be in the Beach Club (St James) from 10 - 17 Jan. Would appreciate.

Many thanks.

Steve.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 11:24 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Antigua

I'd make sure you match the criteria for living there and buying property before you sign anything...

To buy a property, a solicitor must be retained to apply to the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands on your behalf for an Alien Land Holding Licence, which has to be approved by the cabinet. The following conditions must be fulfilled:

a) police clearance from the country where you previously lived

b) evidence of sufficient funds

A 10% duty is imposed on the cost of property purchased by non-nationals

To live there you need the following...

In June 1995, the government introduced a permanent residence scheme to encourage a limited number of high net worth individuals to establish tax residency tax in Antigua and Barbuda. As residents all their income would be free of local tax.

To obtain a permanent residence certificate an applicant must:
maintain a permanent place of abode in Antigua and Barbuda;
obtain an alien landholding licence costing 5% of the property value;
pay a purchaser's stamp duty of 2.50%;
pay an annual levy of US$20,000/annum;
reside in Antigua and Barbuda for not less than 30 days a year.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by sibsie
I'd make sure you match the criteria for living there and buying property before you sign anything...

To buy a property, a solicitor must be retained to apply to the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands on your behalf for an Alien Land Holding Licence, which has to be approved by the cabinet. The following conditions must be fulfilled:

a) police clearance from the country where you previously lived

b) evidence of sufficient funds

A 10% duty is imposed on the cost of property purchased by non-nationals

To live there you need the following...

In June 1995, the government introduced a permanent residence scheme to encourage a limited number of high net worth individuals to establish tax residency tax in Antigua and Barbuda. As residents all their income would be free of local tax.

To obtain a permanent residence certificate an applicant must:
maintain a permanent place of abode in Antigua and Barbuda;
obtain an alien landholding licence costing 5% of the property value;
pay a purchaser's stamp duty of 2.50%;
pay an annual levy of US$20,000/annum;
reside in Antigua and Barbuda for not less than 30 days a year.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by steveshiraz
Hi sibsie,

Many thanks for your detailed information re Antigua. We are aware of the alien license, stamp duty etc, but still unsure, dispite several enquiries, about the permenant resident license.

Does everyone have to pay this, or is it a tax incentive for the wealthy? We dont intend working, but will be renting one property. Would we not be able to pay local tax on this income? $20,000 p.a. would mean we could not go ahead realistically. Hopefully all will be clear when we talk to a lawyer out there, but any further info from yourself would be really appreciated.

Thanks again,

Steve.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:01 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into the Carib islands when I was thinking of leaving the UK. Most of them had hefty financial entry requirements and a staggeringly high cost of living. I'm not sure about Antigua but the things I looked at did say that the tax is 20k a year. I doubt you can bypass that by paying local taxes.

The goverment website is here...
http://www.antigua-barbuda.com/ and is does seem there is no way being a non citizen of not paying the yearly taxes.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by sibsie
I looked into the Carib islands when I was thinking of leaving the UK. Most of them had hefty financial entry requirements and a staggeringly high cost of living. I'm not sure about Antigua but the things I looked at did say that the tax is 20k a year. I doubt you can bypass that by paying local taxes.

The goverment website is here...
http://www.antigua-barbuda.com/ and is does seem there is no way being a non citizen of not paying the yearly taxes.

Many thanks again. Will let you know out of interest when we get back.
Steve.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:45 am
Just Joined

kittyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by steveshiraz
Many thanks again. Will let you know out of interest when we get back.
Steve.
Hi Steve,

Would love to hear your update re Antigua. We're thinking of moving out to the Caribbean at some point to run self catering / B&B. Most interested in Turks & Caicos and Grenada. Have'nt been to either yet but hope to make a trip out soon to have a look around.

Cheers.

K.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by kittyn
Hi Steve,

Would love to hear your update re Antigua. We're thinking of moving out to the Caribbean at some point to run self catering / B&B. Most interested in Turks & Caicos and Grenada. Have'nt been to either yet but hope to make a trip out soon to have a look around.

Cheers.

K.
Hi Kittyn,

Got back from Antigua yesterday having bought some land to build on and rent until we retire there in 2 - 3 yrs. First time to Antigua, although been to Carribean plenty. Very picturesque and clean (unlike some) and the people really friendly. Crime rate one of the lowest in Carib. They do encourage people to buy land, move there and invest, although quite a few formalities involved, but stick with it! You have to be able to offer somthing that will not take a locals job. Also, not the cheapest place to live, but not extorsionate either - quality never is. The island has a nice feel about it, and I think we have done the right thing.

Please get in touch if I can be of any help.

Steve.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Did you see Dr Amu when you were there?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pammy
Did you see Dr Amu when you were there?
Who? please expand - Steve
Old Jan 21st 2004, 7:36 am
Just Joined

kittyn is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steveshiraz

Steve,

Great, so you did it! Congratulations! I'm jealous. We're a long way from that stage as yet. Have'nt even decided which island to concentrate on yet. So many Pro's and cons to weigh up! Mainly residency especially as we need a permit to work. Considered Dominican but have heard poor reports about the crime rates. Shame saw a lovely villa at a great price. www.dominicanvilla.com if anyones interested....

Kerina
PS - Wonder who Dr Uma is?!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

I am jealous too, I love Antigua, been 6 times although not recently due to immigration to Canada, we are hoping to open a diving school sometime in the future, not sure where, will be researching and visiting islands starting next year.

DR Amu is the local medicine man, I cant believe none of you have met him, he is such a riot, one of the highlights of Antigua, I can only find a crappy pic of him on a holiday website, he gets about on most beaches, used to spend a lot of time at Jolly Harbour.
Attached Thumbnails Antigua-dramu.gif