winter number 4

Old Mar 15th 2015, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

what_if is an unknown quantity at this point
Default winter number 4

As my user name suggests what if was a question we constantly asked ourselves after our 5th holiday in Canada. What if we lived here? What if we didn't like it? What if we got to age 71 and regretted never having tried. Well after 4 winters we no longer ask what if? We ask why? or wtf were we thinking lol.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:36 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter number 4

Originally Posted by what_if
As my user name suggests what if was a question we constantly asked ourselves after our 5th holiday in Canada. What if we lived here? What if we didn't like it? What if we got to age 71 and regretted never having tried. Well after 4 winters we no longer ask what if? We ask why? or wtf were we thinking lol.

Is it that bad then?, you planning to head back?

Did you holiday in winter?, you didn't expect the winters to be the way they are?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 10:13 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to British Expats What If.

Where In Canada are you? When I wasn't living in Canada, but a BE member, I noted 'with interest' that every winter there would be a a few anti winter posts, now I'm here, I have to absent myself from the forum for part of winter as I am quite uncivil for parts of the season.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:02 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The winter thing is a very real issue

Depending where you live it, the snow can be pretty, great skiing, but at the same time commuting in it is still dangerous even with block heaters, snow tires 4x4’s etc

The cold is much the same, clean, crisp, clear blue skies, with zero humidity, itchy skin and frost bit being a very real scenario

And I think the bit that often doesn’t come over in the forum is the length of the winter, I know in soft old Ontario it could start in November and run all the way into April… yep 6 months of winter, go further north and it starts earlier and finishes later…. I have personally seen the icebreaker heading out of Harbour in Hay River (NWT) in June… Edmonton is a god forsaken place when its below -30 and the amount of snow in the Maritimes can mean long days waiting for your airport to open so you can go home……

I did 10+ winters, working all over Canada and on the day I drove through 30cm of fresh snow to my citizenship ceremony, when they gave me that fancy certificate, the first thing that went through my head was ‘ I don’t have to stay, I can come and go as I please… I don’t have too … ‘

and that was the day I started looking for work in Europe……………
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi peeps, no plans to head back as we are just sucking it up as they say. We are on lake Ontario in Prince Edward County. We came with an open mind and a plan B, plan C etc.We are most definitely summer people, golf, fishing, walking round the lakes and grabbing lunch at a nice cafe etc. Citizenship is a no brainer and we plan to start the process soon. Plan A was a big house on a big lake and see if the fantastic 6 months of summer could offset the winter however in reality it's 7 months of poop weather to 5 of good and the winters seem to last a lifetime while summer is over in a flash. So we are selling the big house and reverting to plan B, a small house on the lake and winters in Florida (if affordable) but still 9 more winters to deal with til retirement.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

And I think the bit that often doesn’t come over in the forum is the length of the winter, I know in soft old Ontario it could start in November and run all the way into April… yep 6 months of winter

That is not the norm in southern Ontario though.

A couple of years ago we had what was referred to as "the winter that wasn't". Last year was a nightmare that lasted forever (and that started with a nasty ice storm). This year I could still see some of the grass on my lawn towards the end of January and we only had 'real' winter for the last little bit of January and then all of February. Today it is to be 14 degrees outside and, although the temps will dip a bit, winter is over and done with.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
Welcome to British Expats What If.
Thanks for the welcome
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar

A couple of years ago we had what was referred to as "the winter that wasn't". Last year was a nightmare that lasted forever (and that started with a nasty ice storm). This year I could still see some of the grass on my lawn towards the end of January and we only had 'real' winter for the last little bit of January and then all of February. Today it is to be 14 degrees outside and, although the temps will dip a bit, winter is over and done with.
This post makes me happy
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar

I agree, i dont think anyone that moved to Southern Ontario can complain about the winters, we all knew it was going to be cold! Why is such a shock? Alberta yes i can empathise but southern Ontario, we just suck it up, its winter in Canada and just think of the the summer to come.

Personally I think the great thing is that yes 5 months of winter, whcih you can do outdoors stuff, skiiing, snowmobling, ice fishing, and then comes 5 months of summer, or at least time where you can do summer things, and a summer that you can count on (ok last year was a bit crappy but still better....than the 2-3 weeks we would get when living in the UK. I think winter is just that, winter. I cant understand why its a dealbreaker when people knew that Canada was cold in winter in the first place! We get half winter half summer, with a couple of "in betweeny" months.

Its spring now, so everything is on the up! soon have the boat out!

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 16th 2015 at 5:16 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree, i dont think anyone that moved to Southern Ontario can complain about the winters, we all knew it was going to be cold! Why is such a shock? Alberta yes i can empathise but southern Ontario, we just suck it up, its winter in Canada and just think of the the summer to come.

Personally I think the great thing is that yes 5 months of winter, whcih you can do outdoors stuff, skiiing, snowmobling, ice fishing, and then comes 5 months of summer, or at least time where you can do summer things, and a summer that you can count on (ok last year was a bit crappy but still better....than the 2-3 weeks we would get when living in the UK. I think winter is just that, winter. I cant understand why its a dealbreaker when people knew that Canada was cold in winter in the first place! We get half winter half summer, with a couple of "in betweeny" months.

It's the length of the winter where we are. The cold is OK, the snow is OK, when it's yukky out it is no worse than a yukky day in the UK, it just goes on and on. There isn't really any inbetweeny months in Alberta. This winter has been so mild and almost all the snow has gone and it's warm and there have been days where I haven't even thought about a coat. Any second now the mozzies will be attacking and it will be boiling hot and then we get rain for a month, then hail and sun and then in late August the leaves will start turning and your on yard clean up and winter prep. Until you experience it, you don't know how your going to deal with it.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
It's the length of the winter where we are. The cold is OK, the snow is OK, when it's yukky out it is no worse than a yukky day in the UK, it just goes on and on. There isn't really any inbetweeny months in Alberta. This winter has been so mild and almost all the snow has gone and it's warm and there have been days where I haven't even thought about a coat. Any second now the mozzies will be attacking and it will be boiling hot and then we get rain for a month, then hail and sun and then in late August the leaves will start turning and your on yard clean up and winter prep. Until you experience it, you don't know how your going to deal with it.
Yes, as I stated in my reply to colchar, and understand someone in Alberta being dismayed with the winter as it lasts for such a long time! and from what I have heard I can totally empathise, although some people will make that argument that the winter grinds them down living in southern Ontario....and I don't think you can even begin to compare that to Alberta.

Anyone living in southern Ontario, winter is winter, summer is summer we get equal amount of each and although we had a harsh winter this year, it didn't check in until February. so we really only had 6 weeks of real cold. On average my experience in southern Ontario is that winter makes a gentle appearance mid November, ramps up to a peak in Jan and Feb and then starts to ramp down, by time mid April is here we are getting some pleasant days, give or take. Yes a longer winter than the UK, but then the summer is way better and way longer.

You have my empathy piff poff enjoy the nice weather while it lasts!
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

I'm guessing Paul is 25 and prefers skiing to golf lol and Peterborough ain't getting the same winter as living on lake Ontario but hey I didn't appreciate the term 'lake effect' and our realtor was a lying bastard lol. I hope you still enjoy the winter when your 60 I have no problem with winter here it is what it is and thanks to Scotiabank I have a ton of free movies to see come winter. For me personally when I retire in 9 years time and can play golf/ go fishing every day if that's what I want to do then waiting 6 months for the golf course to reopen is crazy. 3 million snowbirds can't all be wrong
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I

I think I’ve said this in the past, but I can’t be bothered to search cut and paste

You have to be pragmatic when you tout the great sports you can do in the winter, often the weather for skiing is much colder than would be called pleasurable in European alpine skiing, although I’m told this can be found on the western side of the Rockies…. Certainly not commonly found in the east

I like to ski and I’d skied every year I was in Canada I have several pairs of ski’s both my boys have their own skis and boots and none of it out east was up to European standard north and south of the boarder

FWIW I think you’re mentally ill if you go ice fishing?

Never tried snow mobiles, but did go dog sledding and enjoyed it

As for the summer…. I like hiking, climbing, biking, and when possible paragliding again I have my own paraglider

I consider myself a bit of an outdoorsy type

I would say for a significant part of the summer, it too hot to do much other than sit around the pool or lake

If that's your thing then fine, but for the more active +25C above 80% humidity strenuous activity has to be done with care and a lot of water

Yep… I have the hydration packs, 3 different types… all the wicking sports wear too….

An active outdoors lifestyle IMHO is much easier between 10C and 20C and rain only used to stop me flying and nervous in certain caves

I get out and do much much more now I’m back in the UK than I could manage in Ontario

It all depends on your lifestyle and expectations........
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

A brain tumor left me with poor balance so skiing out of the question but really enjoyed sledging and snowmobiling (is that a word lol) but had to go to blue mountain to do it as nothing around here so maybe Paul could let me know if anything around Peterborough area? Snow mobile hire that is?
Old Mar 17th 2015, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Firstly i am not knocking anyone at all for finding out Canada and its winters was/is not for them, as MikeUK says, it all depends on the individuals expectations and what they were expecting. I may feel differently when im in my 60s and had a few more of those harsher winters under my belt. I suppose all I was saying is that we all knew it was going to be cold here, but thankfully the sweetner is that we get a good summer too. (most of the time)

Unfortunatley although id like to, i havent had the chance to experience the winter sports anywhere near as much as id like to. This is mainly becuase my freinds priorities are different, they either have families or have been there and done that.

What_if - the only time i did hire snowmobiles was up in the Haliburton area near to a small town called Dorset, three friends and I did that for a week, it was great fun. The only time i have done it around Peterborough area is when friends have kindly invited me along, im sure there is snowmobile hire around the Kawartha area of Peterborough though, all i have to do is convince my friends to do it!

MikeUK - i agree that much of the summer can be too hot to do any of the strenuous outdoors stuff, if i have done that, its been more in late summer and fall. As for the peak of the summer, relaxing by way of camping and cottaging suits me, chilling by a lake, i bought a boat at the end of last season, so i am hoping to get into that during the summer months this year!

As you have said MikeUK and many others....it all depends what the individual is looking from life as to wheather they will settle long term in Canada, it sounds like you did for quite a while. I have been here for coming up to 6 years, and am happy with what Canada offers me. But as we get older who knows how we will feel? I am 44 now, so i want to make the most of being able bodied while i still can!

Personaly I admire anyone that has given it a go in the first place, to up sticks with your worldly possessions is not an easy decision as we all know, and after all that its still not for everyone, but the experience its giving/gave us can only add richness to ones life.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 17th 2015 at 4:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.