Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

An update now we're here.

An update now we're here.

Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up An update now we're here.

Hi,

Chris here, in Newfoundland and living specifically in Paradise (that's the town, and it is), anyway, it's about time I gave an update now stuff is settled, a potted history:

Reccie trip, me and the Mrs. Aug 2007, Poss. 3 year LMO November and moved 28th February 2008.

If you remember us, we could not sell our house, did everything we could, took some great BE advice on staging the house and making it right for selling etc...

But in the end, I had to leave the family behind to sell the house, as we decided that the little hiccup of the house should NOT stop us fulfilling our dream, a dream we worked 18 months from planning to arriving.

It was difficult being away from the family, but in retrospect, the best way for us to do it, it gave me time to settle into the job, scope out the areas, source schools, legal stuff, find and buy the house 9that was interesting lining everything up), doctors, dentists and SIN Numbers and MCP cards, buying the car etc... So when the family arrived at the end of May, I know what was needed to be done and where we needed to go.

It also allowed me time to fill out all the necessary immigration paperwork.

We shipped all our stuff 20 foot sole use container, through European Van Lines in Staines - bloody brilliant, we took the VIP option, they came, they packed, we had a laugh, the stuff left on a boat, all paperwork done, all inventory checked and listed for Canada border services to check, seamless, brilliant brilliant brilliant.

We kenneled the 3 large dogs for 6 weeks while we travelled and they came on Zoom into Halifax Nova Scotia (although we were in St John's Newfoundland).

UK to Halifax, no problems at all, Ladyhaye pet services did everything, again, nothing left to chance, brilliant brilliant brilliant. Great step by step communication.

Getting the dogs to St John's on a plane was v difficult though, so in the end, I flew there, got a car and drove them back myself (about 1,500kms), Not ideal, but very useful to see Nova Scotia and the whole of Newfoundland (well, the TCH bit of the whole of it)!

So we bought a house, settled in my job, the Mrs. started work a couple of days ago (she got an open work permit off the back of my permits), all the immigration papers were submitted to the PNP folks on Tuesday last week, 12th August.

I am told by my consultant that if you tick all the boxes for PNP in Newfoundland, that up to now, in 5 years, they have a 100% success rate and due to the amount of oil workers coming here, they are blasting through applications very quickly, 6 to 8 moths start to finish they said (assuming medicals and stuff are okay).

So right now all's well on 'The Rock' and I stand very firmly behind this stage of our lives being the best stage, the best thing we have ever done in our lives.

If you are having 2nd thoughts, don't.

In Newfoundland:
There is little crime
There are few or no chavs
There aren't folks being stabbed on a night out
You're allowed to do stuff (ATV/Quad, Skidoo/Seadoo, hunting, fishing, beach fires etc...)
Great standard of living
Amazing people interested in CFA's (Come From Away)
Laid back attitudes
All good.

Anyway, I am rambling now, ANY questions or contact info on the people we used, please PM and I will be happy to help, similarly, any questions, I will be happy to help, as BE helped me in realising my/our dream.

Chris.

*sorry about the spelling/grammar mistakes, someone always comments!

Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An update now we're here.

Forgot to mention our fantastic friends who we met while here, through BE, BIG shout out to Alan & Laura, Jane & Bruce, Mark & Claudette (in no particular order).
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds fantastic what a great read! can i just ask you how much did the removal firm cost you ?as i am in the middle of getting quotes in thanks Julie
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Julie_p
Sounds fantastic what a great read! can i just ask you how much did the removal firm cost you ?as i am in the middle of getting quotes in thanks Julie
Hiya - cheers and sure, well....we had quotes (and I made sure we did like for like quotes) from GBP 6,000 to GBP 3,300, we settled with GBP3,900 + insurance for the total value of the goods which was GBP170, they were not the cheapest, but were the best.

Not 1 thing, in over 100 big boxes was broken, not 1 thing.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:17 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

I see you're having a busy day at work today!!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shhh. Off topic, but did you phone 'Lumber Dave'?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:21 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

pencilled in on my jobs list for tomoro. having a day where it is just all too much effort - enjoying a good book!

wots the missus up to? is she allowed out tomoro night or is she banned after our last v. late effort?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Hiya - cheers and sure, well....we had quotes (and I made sure we did like for like quotes) from GBP 6,000 to GBP 3,300, we settled with GBP3,900 + insurance for the total value of the goods which was GBP170, they were not the cheapest, but were the best.

Not 1 thing, in over 100 big boxes was broken, not 1 thing.
Thank you for the quick reply,thats great info
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
pencilled in on my jobs list for tomoro. having a day where it is just all too much effort - enjoying a good book!

wots the missus up to? is she allowed out tomoro night or is she banned after our last v. late effort?
Me and the kids will be chopping wood, so it's best if she goes out! Vic's working tonight and Sat night though.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Julie_p
Thank you for the quick reply,thats great info
Also, we pondered for AGES as to who was best to transfer the house money in to Canadian funds, in the end, the bank (RBC) was by far the best option for us, they gave us the same rate that the brokers offered and the $$$ were IN THE BANK, not in the broker/transfer ether! Much safer I thought.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:30 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Me and the kids will be chopping wood, so it's best if she goes out! Vic's working tonight and Sat night though.
cool - i'll give her a buzz.

you're chopping wood - i thought you would have been down to princess auto and bought a log splitter by now!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:45 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

cool - i'll give her a buzz.

you're chopping wood - i thought you would have been down to princess auto and bought a log splitter by now!

ssshhhhh, stop giving him ideas, your just as bad as your husband!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:48 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

ah, but since you've got a new job, you'll obviously need new clothes/shoes/bags, etc!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:53 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

ah, but since you've got a new job, you'll obviously need new clothes/shoes/bags, etc!

just need decent shops for short people
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:54 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

will definitely have to work on getting a shopping trip to somewhere!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.