Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Two years in Vancouver today!

Two years in Vancouver today!

Old Oct 5th 2014, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years in Vancouver today!

I want to say that it’s been an ‘emotional rollercoaster’, but you’ll all sigh, or laugh, or throw things at your monitors. So I won’t.

We ended up here because my other half got transferred through his work. I hated it in the beginning. I went from working for a prestigious company with hundreds of people, going abroad on work trips at least once a month, going out with friends a few times a week, being known and respected in my field to sitting at home all day, working remotely, on my own and not knowing a single person in Vancouver. Six weeks in, I packed my bags and had a courier arranged to take them back to Europe as I just couldn’t stand being here. My other half somehow convinced me to stay and give it a go, and here we are two years later (and 450GBP short because of the cancelled courier).

He had a hard time too, mainly with fitting into the Canadian ‘corporate culture’ and missing his family. But…we started our own family and with time, things got easier. We started appreciating our surroundings (we live in an amazing part of Vancouver with views of water and the mountains) and through our prenatal classes and parent groups, we’ve met a lot of people and made new friends.

Two years on, and we’re putting together out PR application. We still don’t know if we’re going to go back to the UK, but for now, Canada is the place to be.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years in Vancouver today!

I won't sigh. I didn't realise you had a hard time, foreigngirl, and am sorry to hear that. You always seemed to be doing well to me. My wife is also having the blues here and finds it hard to meet people. Good to hear that the prenatal classes helped. I find people here are friends with you if it is convenient for them , or if you are useful, and I admit that shades trust.
Congratulations again on your baby, we also think Vancouver is beautiful but have heard it is also very transient. Finally, I have also been surprised at the 'corporate culture'...it's a learning in itself
Congratulations on 2 years and may it be positive all round in the future!