Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Time flies when your having fun......

Time flies when your having fun......

Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time flies when your having fun......

It's been nearly 9 years now since I received PR status, although I have been in Canada a little over 11 years now in total.

In many ways it still seems like yesterday. I "landed" at the Edmonton CIC office as I was living there at the time.

Now I just have to get around to eventually applying for citizenship, eventually, but then again MIL has been here since the late 60's and she still says one day when asked about it..... lol
Old Oct 13th 2015, 12:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time flies when your having fun......

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Now I just have to get around to eventually applying for citizenship, eventually, but then again MIL has been here since the late 60's and she still says one day when asked about it..... lol
Is it worth it for you?

There seems to be three significant reasons for it rather than mere Permanent Residency.
1) A Government job.
B) Being able to vote and
iii) Easier for travel to USA than just using a Brit passport.

I've no plans for a government job (nor any job) and I suspect you aren't looking either. Voting just encourages them and you can already travel south more easily than most.

Perhaps there are other reasons?
Old Oct 13th 2015, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is it worth it for you?

There seems to be three significant reasons for it rather than mere Permanent Residency.
1) A Government job.
B) Being able to vote and
iii) Easier for travel to USA than just using a Brit passport.

I've no plans for a government job (nor any job) and I suspect you aren't looking either. Voting just encourages them and you can already travel south more easily than most.

Perhaps there are other reasons?
I have no pressing reason to obtain citizenship, probably why I never really have gotten around to doing it.

Suppose the only real reason would be not to have to worry about residency requirements to maintain status and I guess it would be harder to get deported or kicked out of Canada.

I probably will someday, it's not a high priority though.

I have full and open access to the US and they don't care what status I have in Canada.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 13th 2015 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose the only real reason would be not to have to worry about residency requirements to maintain status
Yes, that does count in the event of spending significant and regular time outside Canada. But I'm not likely to become a snowbird.
and I guess it would be harder to get deported or kicked out of Canada
Presently I have no plans to do anything likely to cause that. But that could change if I were to join ISIS or something.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Yes, that does count in the event of spending significant and regular time outside Canada. But I'm not likely to become a snowbird.

Presently I have no plans to do anything likely to cause that. But that could change if I were to join ISIS or something.
Unless the US or at least California makes a few more major changes to healthcare, we are not going anywhere, and being a snow bird is way beyond our ability..... But if we could snow bird, I'd be Hawaii for the winter sitting on the beach.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 1:48 pm
Oscar nominated

...if we could snow bird, I'd be Hawaii for the winter sitting on the beach.
Tell you what, if you go away to escape the "harsh" Vancouver winter I'll come and house sit for you. No charge.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Tell you what, if you go away to escape the "harsh" Vancouver winter I'll come and house sit for you. No charge.
It's pretty harsh cold wise this week, but I imagine you see colder weather... -7 at the moment.....

Less then a year to go now until my 10th official year as a PR. Nov 1, 2016, seems like yesterday still in some ways. But so much as changed, lived in Edmonton at the time, married to another person at the time, bad times, but those bad times led to now which even despite my complaints is good, the person I met, can't go wrong when you meet a near perfect match.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Sometime this week marks 12 years since first arrival, November 1 will be 10 years since PR status was granted.