Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Throwing in the towel

Throwing in the towel

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Beholder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Throwing in the towel

After a year in Canada I reached the point where I don't think I can take it anymore. I'm a phd graduate in technology, I've sent out hundreds of applications but to no avail, a lot didn't even bother to answer. It then came down to applying for part-time minimum wage jobs of course after obscuring the fact I have a masters and a phd. The cost of living was very pressuring especially with a family add to that I'm a diabetic and need insulin along with other supplies which are extremely expensive. Back in the UK I would get everything for free and as much as I wanted. Anyway, I secured a job with a significantly higher salary back home. However, I can't deny Canada is a wonderful place to live IF you have a good paying job.

Best of luck to everyone.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Throwing in the towel

Sorry to hear that. The downsides you have experienced will come as no surprise to regular readers of the forum

Congrats on finding a good job back home

Last edited by iaink; Aug 3rd 2012 at 2:16 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks iaink, yes I guess many have had the same experience. I noticed during my time doing minimum wage that there were many others who were more or less in a similar situation but they came from war-torn countries and that was the best alternative for them.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:02 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it didn't work out for you but hope you'll be happy back home. All the best.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:34 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beholder
After a year in Canada I reached the point where I don't think I can take it anymore. I'm a phd graduate in technology, I've sent out hundreds of applications but to no avail, a lot didn't even bother to answer. It then came down to applying for part-time minimum wage jobs of course after obscuring the fact I have a masters and a phd. The cost of living was very pressuring especially with a family add to that I'm a diabetic and need insulin along with other supplies which are extremely expensive. Back in the UK I would get everything for free and as much as I wanted. Anyway, I secured a job with a significantly higher salary back home. However, I can't deny Canada is a wonderful place to live IF you have a good paying job.

Best of luck to everyone.
Have i mis-read the last part?...do you not say you have secured a high paid job but your still going home?
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Have i mis-read the last part?...do you not say you have secured a high paid job but your still going home?
"I secured a job with a significantly higher salary back home"
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that as well. At least you tried and gave it your best shot!

Also am not surprised, we hear this all the time and my husband is working at a box store now full time to make ends meet (something he would not have done in UK he would have been retired) and he has teachers, an English plumber and an engineer working with him! I wish more people would really check out the reality that is Canada.

Good luck back in UK. Stay on here for a while and perhaps you can assist others in the same position with questions for you?
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. May I ask what part of Canada you were living and trying to find a job?

The job market over here is a strange system, one that I still don't completely understand. The only part that is apparent is it's highly centred on networking and contacts, and if you're an immigrant, it can be very hard to make those contacts and get your foot in the door.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:10 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Really sad to hear that it hasn't worked out for you, but onward and upward!
You have a great new future back in the UK and maybe that wouldn't have come about had you not taken this path.

You have tried it, which many others wouldn't have done and maybe you can also use your experience to vanquish a few rose-coloured-glasses myths amongst those hoping to apply from the UK.

Anyone coming here thinking it is going to be the land of milk and honey might learn from what you have to say.

Wishing you a safe journey back and success in your new job.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:14 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Anyone coming here thinking it is going to be the land of milk and honey might learn from what you have to say.
Especially if they do not have gainful employment to come to.

It's sad when things don't work out. Good luck in your future.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beholder
Thanks iaink, yes I guess many have had the same experience. I noticed during my time doing minimum wage that there were many others who were more or less in a similar situation but they came from war-torn countries and that was the best alternative for them.
Unfortunately this is the way it is for many. Networking a year or two ahead of moving can give one a jump start. I know of a few Brits who ended up doing minimum wage for a year or two, but are now doing OK, it takes a few years, if you can stick it out.

One has to do what is best for our family and that is different for each of us.

Hope your move back works for you.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for the kind words and support I don't have any regrets, we enjoyed living in Canada, the people were wonderful and life was always busy but when you have a family depending on you then just making ends meet is no longer an option.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

At least you gave it a try,hope the new job works out well.
All the best
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

How can a plumber be out of work my company r getting guys from the UK as there can't get plumbers

QUOTE=feelbritish;10208642]Sorry to hear that as well. At least you tried and gave it your best shot!

Also am not surprised, we hear this all the time and my husband is working at a box store now full time to make ends meet (something he would not have done in UK he would have been retired) and he has teachers, an English plumber and an engineer working with him! I wish more people would really check out the reality that is Canada.

Good luck back in UK. Stay on here for a while and perhaps you can assist others in the same position with questions for you?[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:23 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby has struggled for about 18 months working in a much lower level job than he left in the UK. It looks like things are finally looking up for him now that people "know him" and what hes capable of.
This can be a tough place work wise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.