Three years today!

Old Oct 17th 2015, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future
Smile Three years today!

Hi
We departed from a grey Glasgow to arrive in a grey Vancouver three years ago today. We had been apart as a family for months so we were delighted to get off the boat and see hubbie and dad to three happy kids!
It has been a very quick three years and we finally got our permanent residency at the start of September 2015. The kids are very happy to be here by the ocean and have made some good friends. Schooling is different and I've become accustomed to that now. What matters is that they are all happy and do not feel pressurised to fit in with any 'in' crowd; they can be themselves and are supported to be individuals.
Work has been good, better paid than the NHS. There is a more work/ life balance for my hubbie as he works shifts of four on, four off. I have a great job where I can be flexible in my hours and work around hubbie's shifts. This has negated the need for childcare.
We do miss many things about the UK, and I must say my online shopping has gone from thousands to mere tens! I still struggle to get nice clothes here so get my brother to ship things over. Got stung with M&S orders having huge import duties and taxes so know not to do that again!
What have I been spending my money on...immigration fees and taxes! Thankfully one of these fees is now no longer in the mix!
Looking forward to more time in Canada, but will take a visit home next year for my brother's wedding and to sell our house.
Would we do it again...yes!
Things we learned..
1. Don't think your three year work permit will be three years if you have any passports which need to be renewed in this time as you have to apply and pay every time (as we found out)
2. Tim Hortons coffee is yuck (although hubbie gets ones at work only because they are dirt cheap!)
3. Making friends is very hard as adults
4. Having hot and sunny summers is possible and you can have barbecues without the need for an umbrella and jacket!
5. Cheap flights are a thing of the past- it is expensive to go anywhere.
6. This place is huge...maps are deceiving. We took a road trip to Eastern BC and after 12 hours in the car were still not out of BC! Distances are calculated in hours and not km (although I'd prefer it if in miles as it would mean more to me. Canadians think nothing of driving 6 hours to see someone!
7. The definition of a castle is a Victorian house!

Life is good in Canada.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years today!

Wouldnt Eastern BC still be in BC. Where did you expect it to be? Otherwise a good post and pleased the family is happy with the living in Canada experience.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Wouldnt Eastern BC still be in BC. Where did you expect it to be?
The OP made a point that after 12 hours travelling they were still in BC. They were making the point that it is a big place.

In your usual haste to be nasty you seem to have missed this.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The OP made a point that after 12 hours travelling they were still in BC. They were making the point that it is a big place.

In your usual haste to be nasty you seem to have missed this.
Yip, my point exactly. Perhaps PC forgot to add !
Old Oct 19th 2015, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

Yay! Congrats on the three-year mark! So pleased you got your PR this year!
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if you're making the point I think you're making about online shopping, i.e. you've had to drastically reduce how much you do it, compared with the UK, because there's not much of it to do, then I completely agree with you! I miss it!!

However, I love Tim Horton's (my family get sick of me loving it). But it's usually steeped tea I buy.

Agree with no cheap flights too and distances. I never go anywhere except over to Vancouver Island sometimes (do you go there?). (Well, I did go to Toronto recently, but that was like going to another country, certainly in terms of distance!).

Agree also that making friends is tough.

Nice to read your story!

S
Old Oct 20th 2015, 11:49 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I also miss M & S, but if I keep my order under $50 then no customs :-)
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:14 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I also miss M & S, but if I keep my order under $50 then no customs :-)
Is it worth it for such small amounts , presumably just buying crucial M&S that the gals can't seem to do without?!
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Is it worth it for such small amounts , presumably just buying crucial M&S that the gals can't seem to do without?!
I have previously ordered M&S cotton briefs which, with the free postage to Canada offered , were way cheaper than anything comparable here.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:51 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, great update & good to see that you have settled in as well as have your PR, next step is Canadian citizenship

On that trip back for the wedding next year, you might want to think about doing the following ... [something my wife usually does] is taking only half the luggage, with one empty suitcase inside the other, then when over there, fill the empty suitcase )or spread them around the other ones) with all the goodies - making sure on the return flight that you are still within the weight allowance
Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:50 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, great update & good to see that you have settled in as well as have your PR, next step is Canadian citizenship

On that trip back for the wedding next year, you might want to think about doing the following ... [something my wife usually does] is taking only half the luggage, with one empty suitcase inside the other, then when over there, fill the empty suitcase )or spread them around the other ones) with all the goodies - making sure on the return flight that you are still within the weight allowance
You can take that one step further and travel with like 3 sets of clothes, and plan a hard days shopping* in your first day or so there.

* had to lock down the man card when I said that, it was going to make a run for it.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
You can take that one step further and travel with like 3 sets of clothes, and plan a hard days shopping* in your first day or so there.

* had to lock down the man card when I said that, it was going to make a run for it.
Oohhh...I have it all planned out...Next, Debenhams, White Stuff etc. God I have missed shopping! Only thing would be bringing it back and being stung for customs and duties of all these new things