Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Three years and a bit

Three years and a bit

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold
Default Three years and a bit

A little bit late. But it was three years at the end of September (Six if you count the work permit and coming back to the UK for a year and a half).
I landed in Calgary three years ago as a PR with only 6k. I bought my old Honda for that much. It’s has been a bumpy ride. I have learned lots and was nearly homeless at one point.
I bought my a brand new condo three months ago (I still have the Honda).

I landed a job in a bank about a month after landing. I learned a lot about the Canadian financial system, mortgages etc. I learned how wealthy people manage their money and how the poor are taken advantage of by the banks. It was a great learning experience of the financial system here. It gave me an opportunity to help others and set people up on the correct financial path to buy their first home (Something banks in general do NOT do). I quit last year as I was helping too many people and the bank did not like it ( I work in a different industry now).
The food is not the same as the UK. But when your broke, you learn how to cook or starve. I did the former and now I make the most awesome curries (if you’re a expat in Calgary, pop over for a curry night- bring cake. I like cake).
Socially it is very different. It is very 1980’s Dallas TV show here. Growing up in London you learn a lot about other cultures and one builds a large vocabulary of reference points. I mean my background is Indian, and there are sub cultures that you learn. You learn stuff from other ethnic groups (music, food, clothing, language etc) and take them on board. Here I do find it hard talking to people as there is a lack of depth in understanding as many people don’t have the same vocabulary of reference. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. It’s just sometimes hard to find someone who can relate to similar things at times. Dating can be very difficult too.

One of the hardest challenges I have faced in Canada is dealing with people of the same ethnic group as myself. I won’t say its everyone, but its been challenging to say politely. Some people just want to keep you down.

On the flip side, Canada has been great. My lifestyle is waaay more active and outdoors. During the summer I have gone hiking almost every other weekend. I bought a mountain bike earlier this year and its been awesome.
I have been doing lots of DIY projects and I like it here. My standard of living is a lot higher. On a good day my commute in London was a hour and a half one way. Here it is thirty minutes and Im cruising in my SUV. My asthma is almost completely gone too.

I do get deeply home sick sometimes. But I know when I go back for visiting, I just don’t want to be there.
There are a lot of things I do miss being in the UK. You can’t have everything. That’s the bottom line. But I achieved more in three years here than in the ten years in London where I struggled and got nowhere. It does have its price, family, food (oh god the cheese – don’t get me started), clothes and football/pub banter.
Overall things are good.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 9:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years and a bit

I love reading happy ones Congrats
Old Oct 24th 2015, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed reading your story. I'm from London too and I get very homesick as well. But when I'm back there, I feel like an outsider. I think this is common when you immigrate somewhere.

S
Old Oct 28th 2015, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
A little bit late. But it was three years at the end of September (Six if you count the work permit and coming back to the UK for a year and a half).
I landed in Calgary three years ago as a PR with only 6k. I bought my old Honda for that much. It’s has been a bumpy ride. I have learned lots and was nearly homeless at one point.
I bought my a brand new condo three months ago (I still have the Honda).

I landed a job in a bank about a month after landing. I learned a lot about the Canadian financial system, mortgages etc. I learned how wealthy people manage their money and how the poor are taken advantage of by the banks. It was a great learning experience of the financial system here. It gave me an opportunity to help others and set people up on the correct financial path to buy their first home (Something banks in general do NOT do). I quit last year as I was helping too many people and the bank did not like it ( I work in a different industry now).
The food is not the same as the UK. But when your broke, you learn how to cook or starve. I did the former and now I make the most awesome curries (if you’re a expat in Calgary, pop over for a curry night- bring cake. I like cake).
Socially it is very different. It is very 1980’s Dallas TV show here. Growing up in London you learn a lot about other cultures and one builds a large vocabulary of reference points. I mean my background is Indian, and there are sub cultures that you learn. You learn stuff from other ethnic groups (music, food, clothing, language etc) and take them on board. Here I do find it hard talking to people as there is a lack of depth in understanding as many people don’t have the same vocabulary of reference. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. It’s just sometimes hard to find someone who can relate to similar things at times. Dating can be very difficult too.

One of the hardest challenges I have faced in Canada is dealing with people of the same ethnic group as myself. I won’t say its everyone, but its been challenging to say politely. Some people just want to keep you down.

On the flip side, Canada has been great. My lifestyle is waaay more active and outdoors. During the summer I have gone hiking almost every other weekend. I bought a mountain bike earlier this year and its been awesome.
I have been doing lots of DIY projects and I like it here. My standard of living is a lot higher. On a good day my commute in London was a hour and a half one way. Here it is thirty minutes and Im cruising in my SUV. My asthma is almost completely gone too.

I do get deeply home sick sometimes. But I know when I go back for visiting, I just don’t want to be there.
There are a lot of things I do miss being in the UK. You can’t have everything. That’s the bottom line. But I achieved more in three years here than in the ten years in London where I struggled and got nowhere. It does have its price, family, food (oh god the cheese – don’t get me started), clothes and football/pub banter.
Overall things are good.
Nice one!! your story sounds similar to mine, as you moved to Canada on your own with very little money, and was a bumpy start, but it has had the same sort of outcome, in that you are satisfied that the move you made was most definitely for the best. Cheese aside! lol

I know what you mean about the pub banter, however Im lucky I live in a town where British pub banter exists! with the same regulars whenever you go in there throwing friendly insults at you. Which is rare in Canada as a whole.

Nice to hear things are working out for you, and that your happy with life! Hope it stays that way for you!