Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Three Months and still unsure

Three Months and still unsure

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Dilemma is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Three Months and still unsure

Well arrived here in BC, three months ago with husband. I have a full time job which I had ready and waiting for me when we arrived, so started within two weeks of landing. It was pretty drastic way of starting out really. We stayed in B&B for 6 weeks whilst we looked to rent. We eventually found a little apartment within a nice family home & are quite happy here at the moment. husband has just found a job, just for starters anyway. Thats been a hard three month slog too. We miss our family & friends but hey, we know its early days yet. Love reading everyones threads too
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 5:25 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Months and still unsure

Well done you! It sounds like you are getting your life in order, and building the supports that will allow you to one day judge whether or not your move was successful. Don't attempt to think words like, happy, sad or unsure....existing will do in that first traumatic phase! I am proud that I even remained semi-sane during that period. Landing, is a physical thing, and it can take the brain and the spirit a good deal longer to catch up. You'll slowly start to settle down soon and it won't all be quite so new. Very best of luck.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dilemma
Well arrived here in BC, three months ago with husband. I have a full time job which I had ready and waiting for me when we arrived, so started within two weeks of landing. It was pretty drastic way of starting out really. We stayed in B&B for 6 weeks whilst we looked to rent. We eventually found a little apartment within a nice family home & are quite happy here at the moment. husband has just found a job, just for starters anyway. Thats been a hard three month slog too. We miss our family & friends but hey, we know its early days yet. Love reading everyones threads too
You'll have ups and downs, it'll take more like 3 years to feel settled. Lots have been through it and you come out the other side. Good luck. Enjoy the sunshine.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your support everyone! I did think there might be some New comers support groups around but can't seem to find any. we are meeting lots of people from work who have been really great but do need to build on our social network, any ideas!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:26 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your support everyone! I did think there might be some New comers support groups around but can't seem to find any. we are meeting lots of people from work who have been really great but do need to build on our social network, any ideas!
What do you need to build on? Are you lonely? If not, given the fact that you will both be working it will eventually come, in the best way possible. You are meeting people on a daily basis, if you aren't working in vacuum, you will make the friends that you need to meet, not the ghastly social networking types it will come!

Last edited by MillieF; Jul 4th 2013 at 1:28 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There are settlement organisations who offer support - list here (click on City name for web address): http://www.welcomemap.ca/settlementAgenciesMain.php

There are newcomer clubs and meetup groups:
http://www.newcomersclub.com/Canada/bc.html
http://www.meetin.org/city/MEETinVANCOUVER/index.cfm
http://www.meetup.com/find/

There is also the local pub

Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the tips, the meetups sound a possibility.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:21 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You'll have ups and downs, it'll take more like 3 years to feel settled. Lots have been through it and you come out the other side. Good luck. Enjoy the sunshine.
I was lucky I guess. I had no great change in my feelings when I moved here. There are plus points and minus points but overall there was more benefit to Canada than the UK. I think many people who struggle to find employment end up not adapting and packing it in as you'd imagine.

Last edited by orly; Jul 7th 2013 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

sarah & andy is an unknown quantity at this point

It takes time networking and building a circle of good sincere friends,that you actually enjoy spending time with.It will come,in the meantime spend your time enjoying the area you have chosen to live in,find out what the locals do,go see,join in where you can.You have beautiful province at your fingertips!!!!Enjoy the adventure and good luck x
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:03 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

I found the 3 month stage particularly uncomfortable. When your through your "big adventure feeling" and not yet got the "settled" feeling. Been here 6 months now, and Im just starting to see the prospect of something good. Hang in there!
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Taking all your tips onboard, will keep going, Thank you,
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Not too sure where abouts you are but if you are in Vancouver we are in the Langley area if you ever fancied meeting up for a social natter. We have been here for just over a year.

Old Jul 12th 2013, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

It took me around three years to say I was really settled and considered Canada home. I've been here 23 years now and although I love to visit the UK ... I really couldn't move back now. It's change so much, it's no longer the same place we left on August 2nd 1990..

Good luck with your move .. you're in a lovely part of the country. Give it time and go with the flow
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Did either you or your husband attend university? If so, check with the alumni affairs department to see if there might be any alumni groups in your vicinity.*

*This post is predicated on alumni associations being as prevalent for British schools as they are for Canadian and American schools.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Keep plodding!

I miss nothing about back home and really,REALLY love it out here.
I've just hit the 3 month mark myself and feel pretty well settled in,despite coming over here with only a couple of thousand pounds,and several weeks before my missus,kids,and dog joined me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.